Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

You must have been using a very small pole your high jump is only 4 cm less :D

Solid improvement this season and fair play for the consistency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

ecoli wrote: »
    You must have been using a very small pole your high jump is only 4 cm less :D

It wasn't one of my prouder moments. It was actually an awful sight. Myself fiddling away at "heights" of 1.20m, 1.30m and 1.40m, holding up the whole show in the process. However an hour later brought me my lowest moment from the season. Lobbing a javelin slightly over 8m (not a million miles further than my shot putt) in front of my wide-eyed competitors was mortifying. The pole vault was funny, but this wasn't. It actually made me reconsider doing the decathlon again. Then I came back and beat half of them in the 1500m!! So maybe a bit of practice on the javelin next year rather than a DNS! :)
    Solid improvement this season and fair play for the consistency

Cheers, consistency is what I am most proud of from my season. Holding my top form from mid December right through to mid February. Just a shame that I couldn't keep it going one more month but I think the body had enough after a long season.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    It wasn't one of my prouder moments. It was actually an awful sight. Myself fiddling away at "heights" of 1.20m, 1.30m and 1.40m, holding up the whole show in the process. However an hour later brought me my lowest moment from the season. Lobbing a javelin slightly over 8m (not a million miles further than my shot putt) in front of my wide-eyed competitors was mortifying. The pole vault was funny, but this wasn't. It actually made me reconsider doing the decathlon again. Then I came back and beat half of them in the 1500m!! So maybe a bit of practice on the javelin next year rather than a DNS! :)

Cheers, consistency is what I am most proud of from my season. Holding my top form from mid December right through to mid February. Just a shame that I couldn't keep it going one more month but I think the body had enough after a long season.

Regarding the javelin its all technique spend an afternoon at it and you will see huge improvement trust me. I used to be the same in multi events growing up Javelin was about the same as that. Went on the level one coaching course and we had to learn about technique. By the end of the afternoon I was up in the mid to high 20s IIRC and could out throw what I used to from a standing position

To be honest I think it is just down to such a hectic race schedule. Its impossible to hold a peak any longer than you did there was always gonna be a drop off but you managed to keep working whole year round

Apply that kinda mentality to distance events and we could turn you into half a decent 800m runner / miler ;)

Went for a swim this evening in a 25m pool. In total I did 32 lengths for an even 800m, but nothing more than 4 at a time. Some slow, some faster. Nice workout but the pool was cold. May go back to my usual 30m pool the next time.

Apply that kinda mentality to distance events and we could turn you into half a decent 800m runner / miler ;)

Haha perhaps. My coach actually thinks I'm made for 800m. Perhaps in a few years, but while I'm young I want to keep going at the sprints. I enjoy 400m much more than 800m and the training that goes with it. I like the combo of power strength stuff in the gym, flat out speed work, and speed endurance work. 800m running would bring quite a change. There would never be sessions of 60m reps, and there would be the growing fear that the gym sessions (and all the banter around the club rooms that go with it) would be replaced by long boring runs by myself. No thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

800m running would bring quite a change.

Yeah- you'd actually have to train hard.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

drquirky wrote: »
    Yeah- you'd actually have to train hard.... :D

Oi! We don't want to get into a stick-measuring contest, but I will say this:

400m training is not easy, and racing isn't much better, if at all!

Oi! We don't want to get into a stick-measuring contest, but I will say this:

400m training is not easy, and racing isn't much better, if at all!

Don't feed the trolls ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I personally think drquirky has a very well developed and well taught out arguement there:D:D:D

2012 finished in surprising style as I took almost 2 seconds off my PB with a 56.28 clocking just before Christmas. I was in absolute disbelief at the time. Where on earth did that come from? I was hungry to prove that this was no once off and I knuckled down into some hard training over the holiday season. I also had the pleasure, albeit distraction, of having 2 of my cousins in town for Christmas and New Year's which naturally brought a lot of alcohol and crap food consumption. Going into my first race of 2013 I did not expect a PB given the indulgences of the holidays and would be very pleased with any sort of 56 to back up my breakthrough run before Christmas.

January:

Just 4 days after my cousins departed Melbourne I had my first post Christmas race, another High Velocity 400m race (Meet 3), this time out in Knox, a far flug suburb. On a hot and windy day I battled blisters in the closing stages to come a close 2nd in my race, and notching up a small, but very delightful PB of 56.26, an improvement of 0.02 and satisfying proof that the previous run was the real deal. A job very well done.

Next up was Round 10 of the AV Shield at Doncaster. In the 200m I continued a rich vein of form by destroying my PB with a time of 25.62 (+1.2), an improvement of 0.70 on my previous best, narrowly losing out by 0.01 in an epic and memorable head to head battle with a mate of mine from Collingwood, possibly the most enjoyable of all races during the season. All this in spite of losing my balance and almost going to ground in the last 30m. There could have been another tenth or so there for the taking. I also threw 6.13m in the shot putt.

The following weekend took me back to Knox for meet 4 of the High Velocity Club series, again at Knox. I was competing against the same lad who narrowly defeated me 2 weeks previously on the same track. On this occasion he again got the better of me, but an identical margin. However both of us were underpar and my time was 57.26, which was my one and only poor race in a 2 month stretch from mid December to mid February. A combination of sitting in the sun all day at the Australian Open the day before, and messing around with new spikes were probably a factor in the strangely below par performance.

Next up was the Victorian Country Championships in Geelong, one of my big target events of the season. It saw a speedy return to form after the previous week's blip. In the 400m I managed a clocking of 56.57 to rank 10th overall, missing out on the final by 1.2 seconds, in a race where I was sort of in no man's land the whole way. The following day I managed 25.75 (+1.3) in the 200m, in perfect conditions, to finish 11th, 1.5 seconds off the final. This was my 2nd fastest run ever and capped a very good weekend.

February:

The 12th and final round of the AV Shield at Albert Park saw a 26.11 (-0.8) in the 200m in what were shockingly cross-windy conditions. I backed this up with a big PB of 2:23.8 in the 800m, bettering my previous mark by 3.8 seconds. A shot putt of 6.22m rounded out an enjoyable afternoon.

The following weekend was the Victorian Decathlon Championships at Albert Park, one of the big highlights of the year. In my first 100m in 2 months I managed a PB of 12.82 (-0.7), the best I have ever run over the distance by a country mile. A very satisfying result, tinged with frustration that I couldn't have had a tailwind which would have helped me to a 12.6x.

Next up was a solid Long Jump of 4.40m which was a PB in my first proper attempt at the event all season. The shot putt was a disappointment as I managed 6.13m, which was down on my SB and PB and the high jump was poor as I could only clear 1.22m.

Going into the 400m I felt shattered after a long day. Throughout the race my right calf spasmed 3-4 times. Despite all this I came away with 56.39, just 0.13 off my PB in what, given the circumstances, I still feel is the best race I have ever ran. I was in PB shape that day, my absolute peak for the season, but the nature of the decathlon took it's toll. On the plus side I beat one lad by 1.5 seconds, avenged 2 previous defeats in decathlons to him, a real benchmark of progress.

Day 2 the wheels fell off. A DNF in the hurdles, was followed by a semi respectable 16.67m in the discuss, a laughable 1.30m in the pole vault (not far ahead of my high jump) and a truly shameful and embarrassing 8.37m (not far ahead of my shot putt). I saved face with a big PB of 5:04.36 in my only 1500m race of the season, a 24 second improvement on the same race from the previous year and a 12 second PB which went back to the West Leinster Schools back in 2003. My overall decathlon score was a PB of 2561 points.

Training the following week was quite disrupted due to after affects of the decathlon and my season never really got going again. At meet 5 of the High Velocity at Albert Park I ran a disappointing 57.18 in a farcical race involving only myself and a 52 second runner which didn't start until well after 9pm.

March:

Despite my best efforts to get myself ready for the State Championships at Albert Park and feeling very positive about my chances of a 55, I got handed lane 1 and only managed a 57.56 clocking which was an incredible anti-climax and letdown. The following day things got worse as I managed a terrible 26.80 (-3.0) in the 200m into gale force winds. My worst meet of the year in the State's showpiece event was quite hard to take.

A few days later and confidence was restored as a friend of mine paced me to a PB in the 800m in a time trial in a time of 2:19.3. It was now full steam ahead to the 2 final meets of the season at the end of March. I trained extremely hard, the hardest my coach said he has ever seen me train. I have no idea what shape I was in in terms of PB potential but I felt good. And then I got sick. I skipped one meet and pig headedly ran the second, in 57.93 to close the season in a whimper.

What wen't well?

The season as a whole was a huge personal success. I took enormous chunks off all my PB's: 2.42 seconds in the 400m, 1.30 seconds in the 200m, 0.50 seconds in the 100m (when adjusting for wind) and 8.3 seconds in the 800m. My pre-season PB in the 400m of 58.68 is now only 12th on my all-time list, and my pre-season PB in the 200m of 26.92 now ranks just 8th.

I have got exponentially stronger in the gym, from the first day when I could barely do 2 pull-ups to the very end when I was managing 3 sets of 8 on leg press at 426lbs. My form has improved dramatically as the season has gone on, my top speed has seen noticeable improvements, and as always my speed endurance was my strength as noticed by a few of my competitors.

I have integrated well into a great training group with very knowledgeable and helpful coaches. The club may be small and lacking in huge depth but the setup has been fantastic for me and there is a really good vibe about the place. I wouldn't have ran what I did if it was not for all those guys around me, coaches and training partners pushing me on to improvements.

I believe what I did best however was actually get out and race. In order to improve you have got to race. I can't emphasise that enough. And regular massage is a must also in keeping injuries at bay. I didn't have anything more than minor niggles this year, something which can largely be put down to weekly massage.

Where can I improve?

A lot. I need to get stronger in the gym. My leg press is very good. I'm pretty happy with the bench press but I can make more gains there, but the squats and deadlifts could do with more weight. Last winter I was a gym novice and I really didn't lift heavy until track season started, so this winter that will be an area where I can make significant gains - start lifting heavier, earlier.

In addition my stride really only started improving in October last year. A full winter with a more economical stride will yield further gains throughout the off-season hopefully.

I have a few numbers swimming around in my head with regards to next season. I have no concrete targets as of yet but 54.9x for 400m, 24.9x for 200m, 12.4x for 100m and 2:14.xx for 800m feel like challenging but achievable goals for next season.

At the moment I haven't got my mojo back and it's hard to get too excited about a season which doesn't start for another 6 months when on a non-permanent visa which is anything but secure. I plan to start training again in 3 weeks but am in no rush back yet. The motivation needs to come back of it's own accord, it can't be forced. I feel I gave absolutely everything physically and mentally last season that I don't even want to think about training for awhile.

Final words:

I hope those who read this log found it interesting and informative. I wouldn't define this as any sort of 400m bible and it is littered with dreadful mistakes but I hope that there is also some good stuff in there too which can be of help to people looking to take up sprinting. I'd like to also thank those posters who have regularly given feedback. There's nothing written here that doesn't get at least considered. Sprinting is still (and probably always will be) a minority aspect of this forum, but it's good to see more awareness now towards it and much more discussion happening on both the logs and the main forum. Hopefully going forward we'll see more people give it a go.

The 2012/13 track season has brought me a lot of pleasure, joy, pride, humour, satisfaction, friendships, camaraderie, competitiveness, intensity, nerves, rivalry some frustration, disappointment and set-backs. The full range of emotions, mostly positive. I wouldn't change anything from it. I was disappointed that I did not achieve that 55 but I know I gave it my all and there's not much more I could have done. It just wasn't meant to be....yet.

249974.jpg

pleasure, joy, pride, humour, satisfaction, friendships, camaraderie, competitiveness, intensity, nerves, rivalry some frustration, disappointment and set-backs

manage to fit any love in there, eh? ;):pac:

• Advertisement

manage to fit any love in there, eh? ;):pac:

A gentleman never tells ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I hope those who read this log found it interesting and informative.

It's a great read, and fantastic to see someone flying the flag for T&F so strongly around these parts. Well done on your PB season, on your enthusiasm for trying new disciplines, and on your Running Review interviews. Now if we can just improve those swim times we might make a proper athlete out of you;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Great photo to sum it all up. The progression will always be there if you keep applying yourself with the enthusiasm you have shown in your last season. Good work and well done Pisco.

RandyMann wrote: »
    Great photo to sum it all up.

I have a fair few photos from the track season but this one is my favourite. It embodies what is great about the sport. Myself and the lad ahead of me had a great battle. This pic was taken with about 50-60m to go and I was closing on him fast but he edged me out by 0.01 seconds. We all look for times, but the actual racing can be just as satisfying: beating guys who, on paper, you should not beat, catching somebody on a bad day, losing to a guy who shouldn't be close to you etc. Lots of little tiny battles and rivalries (way too strong a word, meant in the nicest sense of the word) built up during the season. It's a lot of fun.

First specific training session ahead of next weekend's beer mile. Joined up with a mate at the Collingwood track this afternoon to do a half beer mile at race pace: 2 beers, 2 400m. My beer of choice was as always Hahn's Super Dry.

Perfect weather for a session. 16 degrees and sunny. Had my beers out of the fridge about 1 hour and 15 mins by the time I started the session and the temperature was perfect. 300m jog to warm up followed by stretching and 2 light strides.

My mate ran the last beer mile in 8:30, 50 seconds ahead of me on that occasion.

Beer 1: Felt pretty cruisey through this and it went down swiftly, without the need to take a break. I finished the split in a PB of 24 seconds, which was about 3 seconds down on my mate who went out like lightning.

Run 1: I felt a bit shakey in this lap. A lot of burping which went on quite a bit. I feel I never got out of second gear as it was too early in the race to force the pace. However I made a bad mistake in not slowing down enough to catch my breath in the last 50m which would cost me time come beer 2. I picked up my second beer at 1:45 meaning I managed the first lap in a nice 81 seconds. My mate was a good 10 seconds ahead of me at this point.

Beer 2: This was a struggle. I was out of breath and was not able to get any sort of flow going. I had to take 3-4 quick breaks throughout and could only manage a split of 40 seconds. This however was much better than my mate who blew up completely. He started 10 seconds ahead of me and by the time he finished his beer he was at least 5 seconds behind me.

Run 2: Again I focused on going easy the first 100m and getting rid of all burpage. However I was still burping 200m in which was a strange one. Still though, better out than in. My mate didn't catch me until 150m to go and only pulled about 1 second ahead of me by the end. I ran more controlled in the last 100m on this lap, learning my lesson from last time. I stopped the clock in 3:52 meaning that the second lap was 87 seconds. Granted the racing flats made a difference but I was quite surprised how easy that pace felt, compared to what I was doing 6 months ago.

So 809m with 2 Hahn Super Dry in 3:52 at PBMP (Planned Beer Mile Pace). A lot of technical glitches that need fixing but a nice first blow out. I'm confident I can nab sub 8 next weekend but the 1200m session mid week will tell more.

Another session this evening in preparation for the beer mile. This one was beer only. While it may not be as specific as the session last Saturday it is nonetheless a very important work out.

The session was: 2 x Hahn Super Dry at race pace off 1 minute recovery.

The idea behind this session is to build drinking stamina, and training your stomach to get it down quick and frequently. The 1 minute recovery is less than what the gap would be in a race (about 80-85 seconds hopefully) but without the running 60 seconds will somewhat replicate what I would feel like after running 1 lap. Also without the running for some reason the drinking hits you more so if you can get through this then you will be flying come the big day.

Rep 1: Got out very sluggish here. Wasn't fluid at all in the early stages. Picked up the pace about half way and held my form well down through the closing stages to finish in 29 seconds. Strangely there wasn't a lot of burpage afterwards which is unusual for a beer at that pace.

Rep 2: Got out pretty well here but started fading badly without about 1/3rd to go and had to take 3-4 minor breaks. Crossed the line is 40 seconds, which is solid but really not good enough if I want to challenge come Saturday. I need to be averaging no worse than 35 seconds per beer but hopefully adrenaline can take me through on the day.

Lots of burpage after the second one, in stark contrast to the first rep.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the session. I got through 660ml of beer in the space of 2:20 which will do my endurance the world of good. Also I don't feel too tipsy either which is a surprise but I guess a testiment to the great base work I have put in over the last 3 weeks. I want a sub 8 but on a very good day 7:45 is not out of reach. I expect to be up at the pointy end of things on Saturday. Confidence is there but must treat the event with respect and won't be letting complacency creep in.

One final session coming up on Thursday. Back to the track, this time for a beer 1200m at race pace.

Another session this evening in preparation for the beer mile. This one was beer only. While it may not be as specific as the session last Saturday it is nonetheless a very important work out.

The session was: 2 x Hahn Super Dry at race pace off 1 minute recovery.

The idea behind this session is to build drinking stamina, and training your stomach to get it down quick and frequently. The 1 minute recovery is less than what the gap would be in a race (about 80-85 seconds hopefully) but without the running 60 seconds will somewhat replicate what I would feel like after running 1 lap. Also without the running for some reason the drinking hits you more so if you can get through this then you will be flying come the big day.

Rep 1: Got out very sluggish here. Wasn't fluid at all in the early stages. Picked up the pace about half way and held my form well down through the closing stages to finish in 29 seconds. Strangely there wasn't a lot of burpage afterwards which is unusual for a beer at that pace.

Rep 2: Got out pretty well here but started fading badly without about 1/3rd to go and had to take 3-4 minor breaks. Crossed the line is 40 seconds, which is solid but really not good enough if I want to challenge come Saturday. I need to be averaging no worse than 35 seconds per beer but hopefully adrenaline can take me through on the day.

Lots of burpage after the second one, in stark contrast to the first rep.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the session. I got through 660ml of beer in the space of 2:20 which will do my endurance the world of good. Also I don't feel too tipsy either which is a surprise but I guess a testiment to the great base work I have put in over the last 3 weeks. I want a sub 8 but on a very good day 7:45 is not out of reach. I expect to be up at the pointy end of things on Saturday. Confidence is there but must treat the event with respect and won't be letting complacency creep in.

One final session coming up on Thursday. Back to the track, this time for a beer 1200m at race pace.

what volume are the beers?

what volume are the beers?

4.6%. 330ml, 1.2 standard drinks in total. A bit below the required amount for record purposes, but I won't have to worry about that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Man you are taking this seriously!! It's the wrong time of year over here to be trying this, right at the start of track but might give it a bash towards the end of the summer. Might start testing out a few beers now, for research purposes of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

There's no way you are taking this seriously enough. I mean, come on, 2 repeats?? You've got much more potential. Like a track session, you should be aiming to do twice as much as you do on race day. So at least 8 repeats are required:D:D

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    It's the wrong time of year over here to be trying this!

Not at all. We had one back in Sept just 3 weeks before track season started. It doesn't really interupt training much at all tbh.

As soon as this beer mile is over, you will have to haul your ass back to the gym and start lifting big time ;)

As soon as this beer mile is over, you will have to haul your ass back to the gym and start lifting big time ;)

I have May 6th set down in stone as the beginning of gym training, which is the exact time I started last year. Won't start the hills until a week or 2 after and will leave the track until my exams are ocervin mid June. Will be a busy time for me so will have to fit things around study.

I have May 6th set down in stone as the beginning of gym training, which is the exact time I started last year. Won't start the hills until a week or 2 after and will leave the track until my exams are ocervin mid June. Will be a busy time for me so will have to fit things around study.

Nice 1, I'd say you will be getting your hunger back soon for training. You will also have better platform to start off from for lifting.

Nice 1, I'd say you will be getting your hunger back soon for training. You will also have better platform to start off from for lifting.

It's slowly starting to come back now. I'm getting to the stage where I want to get proper fit again. Motivation through a long winter will also come from watching our great athletes hit World Champ qualifiers over the coming months. That's the good thing about the Irish and oz seasons being at different times of the year, means I get my track and field fix all year round, watching or participating.

Yeh, and my name isn't on there. I'm appalled. I'll beat a good chunk of those guys on that list come Saturday if I have a good one.

Ah well, there's really only 3 guys who have a chance of winning and that's a stretch. It's Harris's to lose.

EDIT: Just seen some Letsrun chat about the big race. http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5150480

Yeh, and my name isn't on there. I'm appalled. I'll beat a good chunk of those guys on that list come Saturday if I have a good one.

Ah well, there's really only 3 guys who have a chance of winning and that's a stretch. It's Harris's to lose.

EDIT: Just seen some Letsrun chat about the big race. http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5150480

But there is another boardsie listed ;)

Can always get a price request:D

But there is another boardsie listed ;)

Can always get a price request:D

There is indeed. I got him 7 months ago but I suspect he's in much better shape now.

We may see an Irishman sub 6 also which would surely be a NR. Open to correction though.

Exciting weekend of racing ahead. Session soon. Will report back.

• Advertisement

There is indeed. I got him 7 months ago but I suspect he's in much better shape now.

We may see an Irishman sub 6 also which would surely be a NR. Open to correction though.

Exciting weekend of racing ahead. Session soon. Will report back.

I have seen two sub 6's in my life time (5.42 best). It was a sight to behold:D

Advertisement