Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Opted against the tights in the end, for the moment anyway. Normal tights wont make any difference to my calf, they are only to keep me warm in winter, and I don't find winter here cold. Compression tights on the other hand might help but they cost a fortune and have to be worn all year round. They aren't designed around weather. They sound like a bit of a gimmick to be honest. I dont think the cold weather has anything to do with my calves issues because it was happening to me all through the horrifcally hot summer also, and when I do hills in winter it has never once happened. It only happens on the track, in flats, when running on the balls of my feet. Might be worth putting the money into seeing somebody to get to the root of it rather than these gimmicks. But it also could just be one of those things that I've been dealth with and just have to live with.

I bought a new pair of racing flats. Exact same ones I had last year. I had got them for half price at $80 last year, couldn't believe they still had them in stock. $80 again.

I also picked up a brand new pair of sprint spikes for a bargain of $60! The reviews online for this shoe are great (average of 4.5 stars) so I've done pretty well. I feared I'd have to pay 3 times that! These will do me for 100m, 200m and 400m. Here's a pic:

259329.jpg

I'll go back another time and pick up a pair of middle distance spikes that I can use for 800m. I'd rather run them properly next year rather than losing 2 seconds each race by using my flats!

No training this weekend. The body is feeling battered so having a rest.

An update on last week:

Monday: Gym

Bench Press: 4 x 8 @ 110lbs, 120lbs, 130lbs, 135lbs
    Leg Press: 4 x 8 @ 326lbs, 356lbs, 386lbs, 406lbs

Arm Swings: 3 x 20 @ 13kg
    Box Squats: 3 x 8 @ 20kg, 25kg, 30kg
    Crunches: 3 x 50

Goodmornings: 3 x 10 @ 30kg
    Pull-ups: 3 x 5
    Body twists: 3 x 40 @ 10kg

Tuesday: Hills

4 x 300m with 5-6 minute recoveries.

Was told to go flat out, and was doing the session with a couple of faster lads. Went out ridiculously fast in the first one and suffered after as a result. I eased the effort levels back on the 2nd one so I could finish the session. My first rep was 51.0 which is just under a 3 second improvement on the best I have done to date which surprised me a bit. But it's the average that counts.

51.0 - 55.3 - 56.3 - 55.8

Average was 54.6 which is a 0.25 second improvement on last week so I am pretty happy, despite the erratic pacing.

Wednesdaÿ: Gym

Bench Press: 4 x 8 @ 110lbs, 120lbs, 130lbs, 135lbs
    Leg Press: 4 x 8 @ 366lbs, 386lbs, 406lbs, 426lbs

Box Squats: 3 x 8 @ 30kg, 35kg, 40kg

Goodmornings: 1 x 10 @ 30kg
    Pull-ups: 1 x 6
    Body twists: 1 x 40 @ 10kg

Was a bit short on time so only did the last set once. This current routine is a nice balance between power (leg and bench press where I take my time) and endurance (the other 2 sets where I try to go through them at a steady pace). Am building slowly back up to where I was in the squats last year and then push on from there.

Thursday: Track

Another winders session as they call it (basically a fartlek). 5 laps, 4 laps and 3 laps of 100 jog, 100 fast stride. Time irrelevant but I was on my feet for a little under 9 minutes, a little over 7 and a little over 5 for each set respectively. I glanced at my watch for some of the strides and at a guess I was doing the strides on average in around 16-18 seconds. The first 20m or so of each stride I would just be building up slowly, and I was using road shoes and focusing more on effort and endurance and not on speed and technique so the times are pretty pointless. I wanted to get through the session unlike last week so the flats have been ditched and I have been told not to use them again for that session.

Saturday: Long Run

No time to get down to the track for a mile TT and my body was a bit shot after the week so just did an easy 4.5k jog around my local area in 20:27, around 4:32/km pace.

Upcoming Race:

I now have a race set in stone:

Date: Thursday 15th August
    Time: 15:30
    Event: Media 800m Race - IAAF World Athletics Championships
    Venue: Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow

:D

I have never been so excited about an 800m race so much in my life. God knows who could be in my race. A friend of a friend did it a few years ago in Berlin and ended up in the same race as a retired Wilson Kipketer! Now that would be one to tell the grandkids!!

And a couple more sessions to update on:

Bench Press: 4 x 8 @ 130lbs, 130lbs, 135lbs, 145lbs (Could only manage 5 of the 145lbs)
    Leg Press: 4 x 8 @ 386lbs, 406lbs, 426lbs, 446lbs

Box Squats: 3 x 8 @ 40kg, 40kg, 42.5kg

Goodmornings: 3 x 10 @ 32.5kg
    Pull-ups: 3 x 5

8x200m Hills this evening with 3 minute recoveries. There was about 6 of us running this evening. A couple were doing 300m, I went 200m, and the others a bit less than that. We all ran together. A bit worried about going out too hard in the early reps and was told that I'm not to do them flat out and that consistency is the key. Consistency was great right up until the last one:

35-35-36-35-36-35-36-32

The last rep I just let rip and was easily ahead of the rest. Was surprised I had this much energy left as I thought I felt pretty rough around reps 6-7. Coaches said that I shouldn't be having that much left in the tank for the last one and is a sign I could have gone a bit harder on the other 7. One said that I can't be doing that sort of thing around people who have been running for 30 years! :D

Jokes aside, getting the pacing right is tough. I could probably have gone a half second quicker on each of the other 7, but I wasn't to know that. The last thing I wanted was being dead after 5 and not able to finish. Hopefully better pacing next time I do that session. A very rough average of 35 anyway.

Wednesday: Gym and Massage

First massage since end of March. Sore but not as bad as I had feared. Update of gym below.

Another winders sessions of 5 laps, 4 laps 3 laps of slow jogging the bends and striding the straights. With the exception of 3 laps in the first set I was doing this on my own. Pretty uneventful and very boring but good for the fitness.

Saturday: Long Run

Was away again this weekend so the Long Run was never going to be more than a bit of a jog. Ran on a semi-scenic route near the beach with the wind making things quite rough the first half of it. Didn't measure the distance. Ran for 19 minutes, pushing it more towards the end. Just wanted to get it done and then forget about training for the rest of the weekend.

Bench Press: 4 x 8 @ 130lbs, 130lbs, 135lbs, 145lbs
    Leg Press: 4 x 8 @ 386lbs, 406lbs, 416lbs, 446lbs

Box Squats: 3 x 8 @ 45kg

Goodmornings: 3 x 10 @ 35kg
    Pull-ups: 3 x 6

Last week I did 8x200m. This evening I stretched it a bit more to 8x225m with around a 3 to 3 and a half minute recovery. Unlike last week my pacing was decent this time around. My last rep was quick, but not 3 seconds faster than every other rep type quick.

Times were:

39-40-40-40-41-42-41-39

Definitely happy with that.

Wednesday: Massage and Gym

Bench Press: 3 x 8 @ 130lbs, 135lbs, 145lbs, 1 x 3 @ 152lbs
    Leg Press: 4 x 8 @ 406lbs, 426lbs, 446lbs, 461lbs

Assumed we were doing more of those winders/ fartlek sessions this evening so it was a shock to the system when I heard we were doing sprint stuff. One of the lads was doing 500-400-300 but the coach had me do 3x300m to ease myself into it. Recovery was 12 minutes but he lowered it to 10 minutes between 2nd and 3rd reps.

It felt completely alien sprinting on a track like that as have not done anything like that since my season finale, illness-inhibited 57.93 in late March.

Times of my first 2 reps were:

44.7 - 44.9

Then when doing a light stride before the 3rd rep my left calf spasmed and I had to pull out of doing the final rep which was frustrating. I felt I had one more good run in me and found that I recovered pretty quickly from the first 2. I left the track not feeling near exhausted which is frustrating but it's my first sprint track session so it will take time for my body to adjust. Coach was happy with the times, probably more so than I was, but at this stage of the year, with complete sprint rustiness, they actually are pretty solid.

Heading away again this weekend so Long Run will just be an easy one. Next weekend I'll hopefully get back into mile TT's and maybe even a 3000m TT.

Exactly 5 weeks to go until the World Championship Media Race. Feeling like I could put together a good 800m based on my winter strength work.

• Advertisement

I was away again last weekend and ended up skipping my long run. Did a fair bit of hiking though (albeit along with boozing) so not too worried about missing it.

Bench Press: 4 x 8 @ 130lbs, 130lbs, 135lbs, 145lbs

Goodmornings: 2 x 10 @ 35kg
    Pull-ups: 2 x 6
    Body twists: 2 x 40 @ 10kg

Our usual hill was being used for parking for some special event that was going on in the area, which was frustrating. Instead we had to use a 300m stretch which was barely a hill. Only the last 70-80m had anything resembling an incline, though you do feel it more when it comes at the end, rather than the start of a rep.

Got there late and joined in with others doing 6x300m with jog back recovery. Told to go at a certain pace, but was astonished how slow it was. These guys are better runners than me and yet they seemed to be struggling, while I was cruising. Granted I did my first 3 when they were doing their last 3 but I felt I could go on all day and that the pace wasn’t particularly challenging. Times were:

61-59-59

Before I joined in, their previous rep was a 64 which amazes me.

As the coaches were in a rush to go and I was behind schedule due to being late, I had to rush the rest of the session, otherwise I would have had nobody to watch my bags. Was told to do 3x180m finishing up the hilly section. Times were:

30-31-30

Felt like I worked much harder with these but overall not sure what I got out of the session. I feel weird sprinting in road shoes unless it is up a proper hill.

Wednesday: Gym and massage

Weekly massage followed by gym session:

Bench Press: 4 x 8 @ 130lbs, 135lbs, 145lbs, 1 x 3 @ 152lbs

Pretty awful conditions as a storm hit Melbourne about 2 hours before my session. Thankfully it stopped by the time I was on the track, but it was very wet and the wind was strong and into my face for most of my session it seemed. Coach wasn’t there but had told me to do 500-400-300, but the backstraight was closed off for safety reasons due to a lamp-post damaged in the storm. So instead I did 3x300m, in lane 3, starting at the 200m start and finishing at the 1500m start. With the stagger it ended up being 308m which explains partly the slower times. Opted for a shorter recovery this week at 6 and a half minutes and I got through the session this time. Times were:

47.5 – 48.0 – 48.0

These would translate to 46s for 300m, which given the fact I was running on my own (which is always difficult in sessions like these), in pretty bad conditions, running 2 bends, rather than the usual 1, it’s not too bad. Still very rusty with regards sprinting. Wore my new flats for this session also which will take a couple of sessions to get used to.

Had planned on going down to the track and doing a 3000m TT for a change but the weather was fairly crap so decided to just run around my local area instead. In total I jogged for the same 4.5km route I did a few weeks ago. Then I did it in 20:27, but today I pushed a lot more from the beginning and managed 18:52 with the 2nd half (out and back course) being 15 seconds faster than the first half despite it being a uphill. Pace was 4:11 per/km, which was just inside PB pace for 5K though I don't think I could have kept that pace for another 500m.

PB is 21:02 on a downhill course at Rathfarnham in 2009. I can't quite remember the specifics of my training for that but I think it consisted of about one month's training! The fact I was running faster than that pace for 90% of the distance on my own shows how terrible that PB really is!

Nice workout. I'm happy to keep up these weekend long runs until closer to the track season. Will do my 800m in Moscow next month no harm at all.

Bench Press: 2 x 8 @ 135lbs, 145lbs, 1 x 5 @ 152lbs, 1 x 2 @ 157lbs

Moved back to our old, steeper hill, which we used last year, as a one off this week. I was late arriving and 2 of the others had already started their session of 8 or 9 x 150m. Coach told me to do 5 reps hard. Ended up doing 4 with the guys and the last on my own. So 5 x 150m with roughly 2-3 minute recoveries, though it got up to 4 between reps 3 and 4 due to too much chit-chat.

Times were:

27 - 26 - 27 - 26 - 27

Delighted with that session. I did an almost identical session at the end of December last year in 26 - 27 - 27 - 27 - 27, which was after I ran my first low 56, and just before my PB. Very encouraging to be running that fast now at this stage in the winter. Hopefully a good omen for 4 weeks time.

Wednesday: Massage and Gym

Weekly massage followed by gym session. Eased back on the Bench Press and Leg Press very slightly after a tough day on Monday and pushed it out a bit on the Box Squats and Pull-ups:

Bench Press: 3 x 8 @ 130lbs, 135lbs, 145lbs, 1 x 5 @ 152lbs

Box Squats: 3 x 8 @ 47.5kg

Pull-ups: 2 x 7, 1 x 5

Was supposed to do a 500 400 300 session but the backstraight is still closed off. My coach wasn't there but the distance coach got myself and one of the other sprinters to do 3 x (2x300m) with 1 min recovery between the 2 300s and 5 minutes between each set. The plan was to run at 800m target pace (2:16) so the plan was 50-51 second 300m reps. I was running them in flats and I kept my jacket on because the wind was baltic (or whatever the Southern Hemisphere equivalent of that term is! Antarctic?). The wind was strong and we ran 2 bends and 1 straight on each rep. Times were:

48-52, 50-53, 50-52

On each set the first rep was faster than the second which was no surprise. I'm not used to doing these type of sessions so pacing was an issue, and indeed it felt weird doing a session on the track where I was not up on the balls of my feet. But I have that 800m race in Moscow in 3 weeks which is something that doesn't happen every day so I am happy to focus on the 800m until then. Session on Saturday will be 8x200m at 800m pace.

Feeling that with spikes and the warm Moscow weather, along with the occasion I could run 2:15, maybe faster. Feeling very fit right now, but not feeling fast, so an 800m race will fit much better for me at this time of year than a 400m would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

That's a good session, looks like your endurance is improving, you should reap the benefits when it comes to 400's later.

Do you know anything about your competition in Moscow? There could be a few ex-pro's.

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    That's a good session, looks like your endurance is improving, you should reap the benefits when it comes to 400's later.

Do you know anything about your competition in Moscow? There could be a few ex-pro's.

The competition will be a bit of a mixed bag. In Daegu it was won in 2:11, with 2:13 making the podium, and to be honest I think I could very possibly manage that. However the guy who won in Daegu, came 4th in Berlin with a 1:57 (but beat Wilson Kipketer in the process), so the standard seems to fluctuate. A training partner of mine came 3rd in 2:00 in Helsinki in 2005, when some lad came along and dropped a 1:53. In theory there's nothing stopping ex-Olympic medalists working in the media taking part, but the reality is that most wouldn't want to be seen dead struggling to times way off those during their heyday. Would be nice to be in the same race as a legend though.

There were over 100 entrants in Daegu, and everyone gets put in random heats, so there's a high likelihood that I could be in a heat where I am 20 seconds ahead of the rest, so will have to learn to time trial. The standard overall will be awful. Something like 2:50 was half way down the field in Daegu.

Will be a lot of craic though. Probably the only chance I will ever get to represent Ireland in athletics! :)

EDIT: Flotrack comprehensively covered the event 2 years ago. Hopefully they will do the same this time: http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/240176-Media-800-Daegu-2011

Track session on my own this afternoon at Melbourne Uni (and it's crazy tight bends!). Did another 800m session in flats, 8x200m at 800m pace with 2 minute walk/jog 200m recoveries (walk first 100m, jog the next 100m). Times were:

31 high - 34 high - 33 mid - 33 high - 34 low - 33 mid - ? - 32 mid

I messed up the timing of the 7th rep but I know that was a good one as I pushed it up a notch on that rep, so probably high 32/ low 33.

I felt good throughout the session but was absolutely shattered afterwards. Average overall is around low to mid 33, which would be around 2:13 pace.

Coach said to try reduce the recovery to 1 minute jog next week. That could be ambitious but I'll try. 90 seconds might be more realistic.

Bought some new distance spikes today for the bargain of $60. Distance coach recommended me to get a pair with a bit of a heel on it so these fit the bill. Not a specific 800m pair but will cover anything from 800m to 10000m. I'll use them for 800m, the 1-2 decathlon 1500m races that I will do, and the beer mile!

264399.jpg

Was feeling very tired and lacking in energy doing this session. It was a complete drag and took me about 75 minutes from start to finish, but at least I got it done. Improvements in Bench Press and Pull-ups.

Bench Press: 2 x 8 @ 135lbs, 145lbs, 1 x 6 @ 152lbs, 1 x 4 @ 157lbs

Pull-ups: 3 x 7

Back to our usual hill at the MCG. Coach said that with the 800m race getting close that I'm to do the full 8 x 300m with a jog back session. Was a bit apprehensive as the furthest I did 8 reps of was 225m, with a walk back. Ran conservatively enough the first 4, before tiredness started really catching up on me, but my pace didn't drop much. Finished strong for the last rep. Time were:

57.9 - 60 - 61 - 60 - 61.9 - 62.0 - 62.0 - 58.0

Very tough session. Recovery was only about 2 and a half minutes.

Average was around 60.5 seconds. When I did the 4 x 300 on that hill with 5-6 minute recoveries my average was 54.6, so the drop off in average is probably about right given the fact the amount of reps is doubled and the recovery is more than halved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Dude- looks like you're going well heading back towards the season- I strongly suggest you check out the log "chasing deer" by the wolf- guy ran a 55 sec 400 at the end of a distance interval session and hes has like an 18:50 5k pb :D lol you need to talk him out of running the marathon lol

drquirky wrote: »
    Dude- looks like you're going well heading back towards the season- I strongly suggest you check out the log "chasing deer" by the wolf- guy ran a 55 sec 400 at the end of a distance interval session and hes has like an 18:50 5k pb :D lol you need to talk him out of running the marathon lol

Done. I wonder if sense will prevail. Logic goes out the window sometimes when the M word is mentioned!

My right hamstring was very tight all day today. Was fine last nite but definitely had tightened up overnight, and didn't loosen much during the day. The last week has been very tough with 3 very rough 800m type sessions along with 2 very intense gym sessions. Had my weekly massage this evening, which couldn't have come at a better time. Was very sore during it. Was recommended to not do any leg exercises in the gym this evening and to see how it is tomorrow. If it is still feeling tight or weak then I'm just to do strides tomorrow.

Did the following gym session this evening as a result:

Bench Press: 2 x 8 @ 135lbs, 145lbs, 1 x 7 @ 152lbs, 1 x 3 @ 157lbs

Decided to play it safe this evening as the hamstring was still feeling sore. I just did some strides of 80m. I did 4 in my road shoes, then 6 in my flats, followed by around 5 in my distance spikes, before finishing with a 90, 100 and 100.

I did them all at a similar pace and effort level. I timed the last 100 to see what sort of pace I was going at and I clocked it at 15.3, which was at a very comfortable pace.

At this stage I reckon the soreness in the hamstring is more to do with yesterday's massage. A couple more days rest now and it should be back to normal I hope.

All going to plan I'll have a track session on Sunday, Gym Monday, Hills Tuesday and Gym Wednesday. Then fly out on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Watch that hamstring! Rest. Rest. Rest. Rest. Rest. Stretching. More rest.

Watch that hamstring! Rest. Rest. Rest. Rest. Rest. Stretching. More rest.

Agreed. Wednesday I did no leg work in the gym. This evening at the track was very light strides, and tomorrow and Saturday will be full rest days. If I'm not fully recovered by Sunday then I'll take another day off but I suspect, based on having a niggle like this a few times before, that it should be good after a couple more days.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Just drifted over here from the discussion on another log. I had no idea of the amount or type of work required for the sprint distances. And fair play being picked to go to Moscow, good luck & enjoy it.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Track session on my own this afternoon at Melbourne Uni (and it's crazy tight bends!). Did another 800m session in flats, 8x200m at 800m pace with 2 minute walk/jog 200m recoveries (walk first 100m, jog the next 100m). Times were:

31 high - 34 high - 33 mid - 33 high - 34 low - 33 mid - ? - 32 mid

I messed up the timing of the 7th rep but I know that was a good one as I pushed it up a notch on that rep, so probably high 32/ low 33.

I felt good throughout the session but was absolutely shattered afterwards. Average overall is around low to mid 33, which would be around 2:13 pace.

Coach said to try reduce the recovery to 1 minute jog next week. That could be ambitious but I'll try. 90 seconds might be more realistic.

Hamstring is back to normal after a few days rest so back into a track session on my own at Melbourne Uni this afternoon, my last track session before going to Russia.

Did the same 8x200m session as above but cut the recovery to 90 seconds, rather than 2 minutes. This ended up averaging out at about 95 seconds. By the time I have got over the initial recovery, taken in water and then jogged 200m the time eats away very quickly. I don't think a 60 second recovery is realistic for me yet.

Conditions were fairly poor. Track was wet and it was pissing rain for the first 5 of my reps, and for these I kept my jacket on. For reps 6-8 I had the jacket off. Wind was into my face for the most of the bend at then at my back in the straight. Was wearing my flats and as always at this track the bends are very tight. Times were:

32.5 - 34.9 - 34.3 - 34.3 - 33.3 - 34.0 - 34.1 - 33.5

This averages out at around 33.8 which is 2:15 pace.

Pretty happy with the session. Averages were about a half second down on last time, but conditions and the shorter recovery would have played a part in that.

• Advertisement

Eased it back slightly on the Bench and Leg presses:

Bench Press: 3 x 8 @ 130lbs, 135lbs, 145lbs, 1 x 5 @ 152lbs
    Leg Press: 4 x 8 @ 386lbs 406lbs, 426lbs, 446lbs

Pisco Sour wrote: »

Back to our usual hill at the MCG. Coach said that with the 800m race getting close that I'm to do the full 8 x 300m with a jog back session. Was a bit apprehensive as the furthest I did 8 reps of was 225m, with a walk back. Ran conservatively enough the first 4, before tiredness started really catching up on me, but my pace didn't drop much. Finished strong for the last rep. Time were:

57.9 - 60 - 61 - 60 - 61.9 - 62.0 - 62.0 - 58.0

Very tough session. Recovery was only about 2 and a half minutes.

Average was around 60.5 seconds. When I did the 4 x 300 on that hill with 5-6 minute recoveries my average was 54.6, so the drop off in average is probably about right given the fact the amount of reps is doubled and the recovery is more than halved.

Felt the beginnings of a potential cold coming on an hour or so before my hill session but trained through it because if you were to stop for every little thig you'd never train.

Did the same session as above. 8 x 300m with 2 and a half minute jog back recoveries. Wasn't quite as sharp as last week and lacked energy early on, but finished stronger. Pacing again was an issue as I finished in a ridiculous time for the last rep. I was knackered after 6 and 7 reps which explains a very poor 7th rep, but I seem to be able to find that extra gear for the last one. But I guess this could mean I didn't push hard enough in reps 1-4. Times were:

57.5 - 61.2 - 62.5 - 63.0 - 61.9 - 61.9 - 63.5 - 56.8

Average was 61 dead, which is half a second slower than last week. I was about 3-4 seconds behind one of the guys for most of the reps, who ran 2:05 last season. For the last rep I was ahead of him by a couple of seconds.

Wednesday: Massage

Sore throat has developed. The absolute last thing I wanted the day before my trip. Opted against a gym session this evening and just had my massage. Nothing to be gained from pushing hard this evening.

Off to Russia tomorrow evening. Hopefully kick this cold quickly and do some easy sessions over the next week. Time to wind down a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Best of luck man. Hope you're back to full health quickly. Enjoy Russia and the Championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Best of luck man. Hope you're back to full health quickly. Enjoy Russia and the Championships.

+1 on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I wasn't sure whether I would start this back up or not. After Moscow, I got used to not logging and to be honest enjoyed the freedom of not telling the world every little detail of my running life. However, with the track season just a week away now I thought that it would be good to open it back up again and use it to document my races, and key sessions, rather than absolutely everything (The gym updates are as boring for me to write as they are for the rest of you to read!).

So an update on the last couple of months:

Moscow:

Left for Moscow in great shape, feeling I could definitely hit a 2:15-2:16 800m in the media race, but sadly I got sick just before leaving, and I could not kick the thing, due to the jet-lag, running around the media centre etc etc. I got out for one awfully slow run around the Kremlin and Red Square (most spectacular run of my life) and then just decided to do no more and hope I'd be ok come race day.

Rob Heffernan then put a spanner in the works and I ended up out in the Irish pub until 3am the night before. Didn't feel great before the race and it didn't go particularly well. Covered the first 200m stupidly fast in around 31, hit the bell in 67 and died a bit in the second lap, had no energy and finished with 2:21.77 which was the fastest I have ever done in a race (although 2.5 seconds down on the PB). I wasn't happy with the time and was frustrated that had I run a week earlier I probably would have knocked out 2:17 or something, but sickness aside, I did underestimate how much being in the media takes out of you. It was all go, morning to night, most days (excluding the few morning sessions I skipped to go sightseeing instead).

I finished in 19th overall out of about 120 in total, which sounds good I suppose, and the standard at the pointy end was way better than I envisaged, but the average overall was poor, at around 2:45ish.

After that I didn't do a tap of training. Went to St Petersburg and had the craic.

Since Returning:

Took a bit of time to get back into things with the jet lag and then some other no athletics related stuff, but for the last 4 weeks now I have been training well and have settled into a routine of:

Wednesday: Gym
    Sat or Sun: Track (60m reps)

Last Tuesday was our last hill session of the winter so now Tuesday and Thursday will be on the track.

Summary of each:

Gym: Old routine was boring me senseless so now have a different routine on a Monday to that on a Wednesday. Contains a lot of similar stuff but some differences. I do Bench Press both days, but on Mon I do 2-legged leg press, while on Wed I do 1-legged. I do box squats and circuit upper body both days, but Goodmornings only on a Mon while Deadlifts only on a Wed. I am doing a fair bit of core stuff too which varies completely from Mon to Wed. I'm enjoying the gym work again so will keep it like that for awhile.

Hills: First week back I was a bit flat but have got back up to pre-Moscow fitness now I believe. Last Tuesday was a good session where we did 6x300m hills with half walk/ half jog back recovery of about 3.5 to 4 mins. Average time was 56.5, starting in 53.7 and closing in 55.5.

Track: Thursdays have been dominated by 500-400-300 sessions of late with 12 minute recoveries (though these were dropped to 10 and 8 minutes last week). Last Thursday was by best session to date. Managed the 500 in 78.5, was a bit flat in the 400 with around 63 high/64 low, and then finished well in the 300 with 44 high/45 low. I had guys around my level which helped my pacing, but it's interesting to note that in the middle of my peak shape last season I ran 82-65-47 for that session, albeit on my own.

I feel my fitness and strength is good but have obviously done no speedwork yet, so the last few weekends I've been doing 60m reps on my own.

Beer Mile:

There's always time for some craic, and took part in the Parkville Beer Mile last weekend, running 8:27 with fully Kingston Rules approved beer (Coopers 62, definitely not a Krusty type beer!) and came 15th out of 40. 8 seconds off my PB, but a better overall performance (probably equating to 8:10, maybe faster, with my old beer).

New Season:

Lots of racing coming up. They've changed the season structure so there are only 5 AV Shield meets before Christmas now, compared to 9 last year, but there are plenty of other meets to fill up the gaps before Christmas. I'm not even thinking about after Christmas at the moment as I have some stuff going on which means I can't fully commit to the second half of the season yet.

First meet as always is the traditional curtain raiser on my home track at Collingwood, the Magpie Multi Decathlon. It's pretty low key and will be a good chance to blow off the cobwebs and I will get a good run out in the 100m, 400m and 1500m. Unlike last year I have decided I will do the full decathlon this year for fun, rather than quit after day 1. I had hoped to do some practice for the throws, and got in a couple of sessions with my mate coaching me, one for the shot and the other for discus and javelin, but haven't had a chance to practice since so won't be expecting much. Just going to have a bit of fun with it.

Also, this may interest some. It's a video montage I put together of the Russia trip. About half World Champs and half Russian touristy stuff.

This evening on the track was 4 x 300m with diminishing recoveries of 6, 4 and 2 minutes. Went off semi-comfortable for the first two, to try pace myself, knowing that the final two would be rough, and indeed rough they were. You'd feel like crying after finishing the 3rd one, and have just 2 minutes before going again.

Times were:

45.2 - 46.5 - 48.1 - 48.9

I have not experienced lactic acid like I have in that final 140m of the last rep, and it stayed with me for several minutes after. Astonishingly tough session.

On average, I was about 3, maybe 3 and a half seconds behind one of the guys who is a 50 second runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good to see a track log back.

Are your goals the same for this year 54.x for 400m, any others ?

dna_leri wrote: »
    Good to see a track log back.

Are your goals the same for this year 54.x for 400m, any others ?

At the moment I'm trying to not get too bogged down with specific time targets. Just want to focus on running as fast as possible. I feel like I am in great shape strength and fitness wise at the moment, but speed is a fair bit off at this stage of the year, but I wont know for sure where I am at until I get a few races under my belt. My hope is to be hitting PBs in each event, 100, 200, 400 and 800, with the obvious focus being on the 400. But as for detailed time goals I've decided to not think too much about that for the moment. Going to take a leaf out of Alexander Rowe's book and make running a simple sport, of running as fast as possible, do the little things right, and hopefully the times will take care of themselves then.

Tough session mentally this evening. No other sprinters were there tonight so I did the 500-400-300 session on my own. Recoveries were 10 and 8 minutes.

Last week I went 78.5, 64 low and 45 flat for this session but had guys at my level who dragged me along. Today I managed 82.5, 62.4 and 45.5, which almost mirrors what I did 2 weeks ago, but on that occasion I had a 50 second runner to chase. The 500 was way down on last week which I was not happy with, but I made up for it with a stronger 400, and I finished nicely with the 300.

Difficult session to do on your own though, particularly the 500m rep, where pacing can be tough.

• Advertisement

57.4 for 400m hand timed today, after having done 4 events. Just a little over 1 second down on the PB. Certainly not going to say no to that in my first race of the season. Over 3 seconds faster than the same race last year.

Earlier in the day I recorded a hand timed 12.5 for 100m with a +0.9 tailwind. Long Jump was a bit poor at 4.17m but had a -2.4 headwind. Shot Putt was 6.41m, second best ever, and just 10cm down on my fluke PB from my first season here. High Jump I managed a 2cm PB with an earth-shattering 1.28m. :)

Overall, I'm on 1758 points, which is just 17 points down on where I was when I set my overall PB. Don't know yet whether I will do day 2 yet. On the plus side, I have a chance of a small PB, would get a good endurance workout in the 1500m, and the whole thing is all immense craic. On the negative side, I probably wouldn't be able to train properly until Wednesday, judging by previous experiences, and the whole day is a struggle for me, given how bad I am at most events tomorrow.

Will do up a bit of a report later.

Advertisement