Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Like for my first two seasons, the Magpie Multi was again to be my opening meet of the season, taking place on my home training track in Collingwood.

100m:

There were 5 of us in my heat, Glenhuntly athlete in lane 2, a regular fixture at decathlons (who I would race again in the 400m later), a Collingwood athlete in lane 3, another Collingwood athlete, and mate of mine (who I would also race in the 400m) in lane 4, myself in 5, and a club mate who is usually close to me over 100m in lane 6.

My mate was laughing and joking away beside me, so it wasn't greatly surprising when he false started. He must have been 5m down the track when the gun went off! The whole field was now on a warning so we had to be careful. Not that this made much difference to me, as most races I run, it's one false start and you are out anyway!

Was probably one of the slowest out of the blocks, and was down on my club mate after 20m, but then after 30m or so I just powered past him, which was a little unusual. He ended up running over 14 seconds and it's still unclear what the problem was but he was in a bad way afterwards. My first 40m was rusty but got into my groove after that and closed the gap slightly on my mate to my left and then maintained it to no more than 2-3 metres. The lad in lane 3 won in 12.0, my mate taking 2nd in 12.2, myself third in 12.5 seconds and the Glenhuntly runner finishing in 12.9.

It was all hand timed with the middle of 3 hand times being the official result. My 3 recordings were 12.4, 12.5 and 12.6. The wind reading was +0.9. It's the fastest I have ever run, but with it being a hand time I can't claim it to be a PB. Not over 100m anyway, where the margin for error is significant. But it was a very good run and I was delighted with it. My actual PB is 12.82 with a -0.7 headwind, so this run wasn't very far off that, which is hugely encouraging so early in the season, especially since I have not done very much speed work.

12.5 seconds hand timed for 513 points.

Long Jump:

I used my middle distance spikes for this and opted for just 1 warm up jump, as a way to save energy throughout the day. I had not jumped since February so I wasn't expecting much. My first jump was a shocking 3:8x, where I jumped off the wrong foot. My second was a foul, despite some fairy steps to try adjust at the last minute. The last one I got right, jumped off the correct foot and managed 4.17m. I actually thought I would have gone further but I guess the -2.4 headwind, off a short run up, disadvantaged me.

4.17m for 234 points.

Shot Putt:

I had one practice session for this a few weeks ago so tried to remember the technique I was taught. My first attempt the shot putt slipped out of my hand and it only went 5:2x. My second attempt was much better at 6.23m, and my final attempt a further improvement to 6.41m, my second best ever, better than all of last year, and just 10cm off my fluky PB from a year and a half ago. I was a close second in best grunt of the competition, though I felt I did enough to take that title.

6.41m for a total of 273 points.

High Jump:

I entered at 1.16m, but with no warm up jump ended up failing the first height, but sailed over at the next attempt. I passed at 1.19m, and managed a first time clearance at 1.22m, where apparently I was way over the bar. 1.25m was cleared at the second attempt, as was 1.28m, at the second time of asking, bettering my previous PB by 2cm. I attempted 1.31m which would have put me in a very exclusive club of people who have a higher high jump PB to that of Pole Vault. Unfortunately I ran out of steam and failed all 3 attempts.

1.28m for 237 points.

400m

There were 4 of us in my heat. The Glenhuntly athlete was in lane 2, somebody who I have raced 3 times in decathlons. The first two times he beat me by about 1 second each time, but on the most recent occasion last February, I was about 1.5 seconds ahead of him. He has an excellent range with a PB of 57 for 400, yet able to run 10k in around 35/36, throw a javelin 50m, and long jump around 6m. I expected to be ahead of him again but would have preferred to have him on my outside. I was in lane 3, and outside me in lane 4 was my mate from Collingwood, who has run 55 in a schools meet already this season. Outside him in lane 5 was an American lad, over for a semester. His PB for the mile is 4:35 from about 18 months ago, but coming over here, having never done anything other than distance running, decided to take up decathlon. His best 400m time was 56 and expected to be around the 56/57 mark.

Gun went off and my first 60m was poor. I lifted the head too early, and didn't drive enough. I could see the Glenhuntly athlete barely with a quick glance inside me, and if anything he had started better, which given his slower 100m speed shouldn't be happening. After 50m we were greeted with a ridiculous headwind, which would last until around the half way mark. Running down that backstraight was tough work, but I battled through it and started moving well at this point, closing a bit of the gap on the two lads outside me. Coming up to 200m to go and I am in an excellent position. I eat the stagger of the American in lane 5, and am probably only 1-2m down on my mate in lane 4. Coming around the final bend he had another gear however and just slowely but surely crept away. 2m became 3m, which became 4m and so on. Nothing terribly dramatic, he just had something that bit extra to me. With about 50m to go I start to tie up and the American storms past in the closing stages with a ridiculous finish to beat me by 0.2 seconds, with the Glenhuntly athlete behind me, but not by as much as anticipated. Overall it was a good competitive race with all 4 of us within 2 seconds.

My mate won in 56.1, the American second in 57.2, myself third with a hand time of 57.4 seconds, and the Glenhuntly athlete in 4th with 58.0.

I am absolutely delighted with this season opener. Two years ago I opened in this same meet with 61.8, while last year I managed 60.3 in bad conditions. To be just 1.2 seconds off the PB in my first race, on a terrible track, is definitely encouraging.

57.4 seconds for 501 points.

Discus:

My total after day 1 was 1758 points, just 17 points down on where I was when I set my PB. Despite the potential for a PB I opted again doing day 2 in favour of uninterrupted training next week. I turned up to watch and support the other lads for a while, and while I was there I took part in the discus. Even though I was now out of the competition, for not starting the hurdles, the event is quite relaxed that they said I could do other events if I wished.

My first attempt was a terrible 14.11m. Second attempt much better at 16.59m, which is just 8cm off my PB, and my final attempt was 15.9x. This would have scored me 209 points.

So a fun opening weekend to the season. Next meet is a pre-AV Shield meet in Ballarat next weekend where I plan to run an 800m and 200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Positive start to your season in 100 & 400.
    Good signs of what is to come.

Another 500-400-300 this evening, with 10 minute recoveries. This time I had three others to run with, which pushed me along to better times than last week.

Last week I managed 82.5 - 62.4 - 45.5

This evening my times were 80.3 - 63.0 - 44.9

Pretty comparable to 2 weeks ago. The 400 is always the tricky one as I am usually dead after the 500. The 300 at the end usually goes quite quickly as you know its the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Nice early season race times indeed, very encouraging.

6 x 150m this evening with walk back break between. Recovery was around 2:30 to 3 mins to start with. We had a 6 minute break at half way, and towards the end we got a bit lax with the recovery and probably got up to 4 minutes. Times were:

20.6 - 20.7 - 20.9 - 20.7 - 20.4 - 20.4

Average was 20.6 which I was happy with. I felt like I was moving well and finishing strong. What was particularly interesting was that I was recovering very quickly between each rep. Last year I'd be running that session slower and would be on my hands and knees by the end. All those 500-400-300 sessions have got me very fit, and today's session felt very anaerobic in comparison to what I've been doing.

Heading up to Ballarat on Saturday to run an 800m, followed by a 200m.

• Advertisement

2:19.75 for 800m today. The first time I have officially gone sub 2:20. A few tenths behind my time trial PB last March. A small bit disappointed, as I thought I would sail under 2:20.

Followed this up just 45 mins later with a hugely encouraging 25.77 for 200m. There was no wind reading but there was definitely a decent wind at my back in the home straight. One official estimated it to be between 2.0 to 2.5, though tbh its hard to know, it seemed a bit diagonal, so may have been legal. In hindsight I probably would have PBed had I just run the 200m, as I was just 0.15 off it. But no harm, will get it the next time.

All in all, these results set me up nicely for hopefully a good run in the 400m next weekend.

Will do a report on yesterday's 800 and 200 later but just an update on a training session from this morning:

An aerobic session, 9 x 200m, done in 3 sets of 3, with 5 minute recovery between each set, and 30 seconds recovery between each rep inside each set. I messed up the times of the last rep from both the first and second set. Times were:

32 - 34 - ?

31 - 33 - ?

32 - 33 - 33

Probably averaged about 33 flat. Was quite cautious starting off and made sure to resist the urge to go too hard on the first few reps. In the end it all worked out as times were, for the most part, consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

That 9x200m session looks really good. Difficult though. Fair play on the consistency, you're looking good for the season ahead.

With the AV Shield just one week away, I traveled up to Ballarat, a regional city, 90 minutes from Melbourne, for another much needed early season meet, to help wipe away the cobwebs. On the program for me was an 800m, followed by a 200m.

800m:

My most recent 800m was at the World Championship Media race in Moscow where I ran 2:21.77 to finish in 19th place. This time, with no sickness, World Championship distraction, or Rob Heffernan celebration pints, along with some great training since, I expected to sail under 2:20 and felt 2:16 was a very realistic goal.

I was unsure whether to go in the A or B race, but in the end opted for the latter. Watching the A race being won in 2:05 and the last placer run 2:19 I was not sure whether I made the right call, but within 200m of my race I knew I had picked a good race to be in.

There were 8 of us in the race and I didn't know anything about any of them. For all I knew they could have been 2:10, or 3:10! I was drawn in lane 2, and the race hadn't started and I made my first mistake. Being a sprinter, I expect to hear the word "set" after "On your marks" is uttered. Of course none of that malarkey is needed for 800m and I was left for a split second in my imaginary blocks.

Maybe have lost a couple of tenths but anyway, off I went pushing hard but comfortable in the first 100m to try establish a position. I broke into lane 1 in 3rd place, and for the rest of the race never saw any of those behind me again. The race was between myself and the 2 ahead of me who opened up a small gap. I hit the 200m mark in 32 seconds and felt good. Eased the effort levels on the next 200m, and perhaps let the others get a bit away from me, with the gap opening to around 10m. I hit the bell in 67 seconds, exactly the time I reached the half way mark in Moscow. On that occasion I felt terrible at half way. This time I felt good and pushed on. However as I hit the 300m to go mark I was greated with a horrid headwind. This knocked most of the stuffing out of me. I couldn't reel in the 2 ahead of me. As I came around the final bend I kicked hard and was finishing well, but so were the 2 ahead of me, and I wasn't closing at all, still about 10m down on second place. I felt I was moving great however and was certain I would run a PB. I felt like I was going to be around 2:17. I messed up the stopping of my watch but I saw 2:18 or at least I think I did.

I had convinced myself I had PBed so when I got my official result I was a bit disappointed. First and second were 2:15 and 2:17 respectively and I finished third with 2:19.75. This was just off my PB of 2:19.3 which I set in a paced time trial back in March, but this was the first time I went sub 2:20 in a race, officially, and without a rabbit to truck me along at perfect 69.5 second even splits. I had done this by myself so plenty of positives to take from it. The time was slower than I anticipated but I guess you get found out over 800m if you lack the aerobic base. But for the purposes of hopefully running 55 over the coming month a 2:19 will do just nicely indeed. I don't think I could have done much more than that yesterday. I had no more left to give.

200m:

I was in bits after the 800m so didn't know what to expect from the 200m. I felt I recovered ok but didn't get many strides in before the race. There had been tailwinds all day so I knew this would be a good chance to run fast, but was disappointed to hear that no wind measurements were being taken (I'm a bit pedantic when it comes to the little details!). I went in the A race and was drawn in lane 6. There were 6 of us in the race with lanes 2 to 7 being in operation. I had the feeling that I would be last in this one.

Was a bit laboured out of the blocks and maybe could have powered more. All 4 lads inside me had eaten up the stagger very quickly around the bend. The wind was in my face badly around the bend, and as I entered the straight I was dead last, by a significant margin. However I really started motoring down the straight, no doubt helped marginally by a tailwind. I started closing on the guy outside me in lane 7 and I felt my form was good and finished about 1 second down on him.

I anticipated a low 26 so to hear that I ran 25.77 seconds was very pleasing. This is my 3rd fastest time ever, only the 3rd time I have ever gone sub 26 and is just 0.15 off my PB set at my peak last January. Sort of surprised I ran so quickly in my first 200m of the season and pleasantly surprised to see that the speed is looking in good nick despite the fact I haven't done very much work on it yet. It sort of backs up that 12.5 hand time for 100m last week.

The winning time was 23.1x, and the top 4 were all in he 23 second range with 5th in 24.71 and myself in 6th. With regards the wind, I reckon the wind wasn't legal but it's hard to be certain. One official reckoned between 2.0 and 2.5 would be a good estimate so, without anything better to go on, I'll take that as a guideline.

So next week is the first round of the AV Shield and I will have a 100m and 400m to negotiate.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Will do a report on yesterday's 800 and 200 later but just an update on a training session from this morning:

An aerobic session, 9 x 200m, done in 3 sets of 3, with 5 minute recovery between each set, and 30 seconds recovery between each rep inside each set. I messed up the times of the last rep from both the first and second set. Times were:

32 - 34 - ?

31 - 33 - ?

32 - 33 - 33

Probably averaged about 33 flat. Was quite cautious starting off and made sure to resist the urge to go too hard on the first few reps. In the end it all worked out as times were, for the most part, consistent.

Based on that session, I would say you were right to expect 2:16 for the 800m. Could be there abouts if you get a chance again.

• Advertisement

Session this evening was 3 x 400m with 10 minute recovery. Idea was to run the reps in 4 seconds slower than PB, which for me would be 60. I pretty much knew that wasn't going to happen for me, especially in flats, but that 4 second rule is designed for a sub 50 runner so maybe a bit more leeway for somebody like me. Times were:

62.1 - 63.4 - 64.2

So average was 63.2, so pretty much 7 seconds off PB, certainly not 4.

But our 50.5 second runner averaged a high 55 (in spikes), so he was over 5 seconds off his PB, so I guess I am pretty pleased with the session. I could feel the lactic acid build up after just 150m in on that last rep.

That's a very tough session!

That's a very tough session!

Yep, fairly nasty alright. I misheard the instructions at the start and thought it was 4 x 400m. My heart sank. Then after the first one I found out it was only 3. Thank God for that. No way I'd have got another one in at that pace.

I've come up with a method of dealing with my calf issues for these sessions with long recoveries. On any of these sessions that involves a rep of 400 or higher I run a bit more flat footed, not making an effort to get up on the balls of my feet. By doing this it has allowed me to get through these sessions in their entirety. So today my first 2 reps I ran a bit more flat footed, while the last then was up on the balls of my feet. For the 500-400-300 sessions I only run the 300 on the balls of my feet. The result of 5 weeks or so of doing this is no calf problems. :)

Easier session this evening with the first shield meet coming up on Saturday. 6 x 150m with plenty of recovery at 90%. The idea was to run fast, but relaxed and with rythm. I timed a few at high 20, but we had a fair tailwind behind us. I wasn't pushing as hard as last week's session, and didn't feel as fluid towards the end of the session, but good to have a session like that to freshen up ahead of Saturday's 100m and 400m.

No results from today yet. There was a stuff up with the photo finish, and will have to wait until Monday evening at earliest for the results which is incredibly frustrating. Sort of takes the immediate joy away from any possible PBs.

My coach clocked me at 12.3 for the 100m, so at a guess that should be 12.6x and a PB but I can't know for sure.

Another of the coaches clocked me later in the 400m at 56.4 seconds. I had the ridiculous misfortune of having a headwind in the backstraight, and then it turning 180 degrees and coming back for second helpings in the homestraight! :eek: This probably denied me a PB. Fingers crossed he was a bit slow stopping the watch at the finish. Another lad clocked me at 55.95 but said he missed the very start.

So won't find out for awhile how I really got on, by which time the moment will have passed and will be back in training. Annoying but that's technology for ya!

Results at last from Saturday's meet! 12.58 for the 100m, a PB by almost a quarter of a second :D 56.45 for 400m, just 0.19 slower than my PB. The awful bad luck of getting a headwind in both the backstraight and homestraight probably cost me that sub 56 but I'll get it next time!

Will do up a report later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Results at last from Saturday's meet! 12.58 for the 100m, a PB by almost a quarter of a second :D 56.45 for 400m, just 0.19 slower than my PB. The awful bad luck of getting a headwind in both the backstraight and homestraight probably cost me that sub 56 but I'll get it next time!

Will do up a report later.

Keep up the good work, nice PB!

Report of Saturday's meet to come soon but first an update on this evening's session.

Hamstrings were a bit tight the last couple of days since the race so skipped Sunday's session at the track and went easy on the leg exercises in the gym yesterday. Back on the horse fully this evening.

Session was more of an aerobic one. 8 x 200m with 1 minute recovery at 800m pace. For me I estimated that to be around 32-33 seconds (even though I am not a 2:08 - 2:12 runner at the moment). There was a good group of 5 of us doing them so easy to stay motivated throughout. Times were:

33-33-33-32-32-32-32-31

First 4 felt easy enough but it started to hurt around reps 5-6. Delighted that I managed such consistency throughout and that I finished strong also. Weather was hardly ideal as the track was soaking and it was pissing rain. I would take the outer part of my lane to avoid puddles so probably added a bit more onto my reps than needed.

The first AV Shield meet of the new season. The regions were changed this season. Before we were in the East Region with 16 other clubs, now we are in the rather curiously named Red Zone with 7 other clubs. Less athletes which was hoped would speed things along. It all got off to a shakey start to be honest, with photo finish issues causing a huge delay with the hurdles, not to mention a massive wait to get our final results, but eventually we got there.

100m:

There was 8 in my heat using lanes 5-12. I knew nobody else in my heat except a clubmate of mine in lane 12. I was beside him in lane 11. He's a 12 flat runner at his best but has had a disrupted winter so would be nowhere near that. Although 100m is his event and not my strongest area I actually went in believing I could beat him, or at least get very close.

Gun went off and I got out well but my lack of pure power had me down on the rest when I lifted my head at around 30m. I only paid attention to my club mate who was about 2 metres ahead of me. From then on I first maintained the gap, then started to close. I was feeling good at half way and was starting to come back to the field. I am slow to get up to speed but the second half of my race is good, and come 15m to go I went past my club mate and pipped him by a tenth of a second. I ended up finishing 5th of the 8 with a time of 12.58 seconds which is a massive PB by 0.24 seconds. There was no wind reading but it felt fairly still when on the start line. At a guess it would have been a light following wind but definitely legal. I was definitely last at half way, so to come up to take 5th was very pleasing. Overall I feel the race went pretty much to plan and I am delighted with this big PB. I haven't done much speed work on the track so there's no doubt that this result owes a lot to a full winter of heavier weights.

For the record here is a video of the race. Second lane closest to the camera:

400m:

With the change in regions there are now less athletes and less heats in each region meaning that one needs to be on the ball with warm-ups as a certain event could be called ahead of schedule. Thankfully I foresaw this happening and was prepared, as there were only a few women's 400m heats and with a lower overall standard due to less athletes I ended up going in the second heat of the men's 400m (though the 3rd heat turned out to be of a close to identical standard).

Was given lane 2 which is an ideal lane. Not the tight lane 1, but still a good view of the field. The Doncaster track is not the best for 400m with its long 100m straights and tight 100m bends (as opposed to 90m and 110m at most venues) but I went in confident and pumped up. My 100m performance was a good sign of what sort of shape I was in and I genuinely felt I could PB in the 400m, although didn't say this to anybody. I didn't know anything about anybody but for a mate from Collingwood who can run 52.

The gun went off and I got out well. Powered much more effectively than 2 weeks ago and felt more fluid. Got passed by the guy inside me at about 80m in and didn't really notice him again after. Down the backstraight I am moving fairly well but feel a bit detached from the rest of the field. There is also a slight headwind which was to be expected. I am definitely working hard as I get to half way but know I still have a bit left in reserve. Coming around the bend I kick hard and start digging in. With 120m to go I notice 2 guys on the outer lanes who are a lot closer to me than I had anticipated. Entering the straight I now have guys I can catch, and assumed I would catch. But I couldn't. As I got to 60m to go a moderate prolonged gust of wind did it's best to spoil the party. I pushed as hard as I could through it but could really feel the resistance. How frustrating. I assumed after battling to half way that I would have a lovely tailwind to take me home, so I felt a bit cursed when this happened. I finished a few tenths behind my nearest competitor, in last place of 8.

I ended up with a time of 56.45 seconds, just 0.19 off my PB, my 4th fastest time ever, and my 5th 56 second run. There was definitely 2 headwinds during that race, though who knows I may have had 2 tailwinds on both bends also. I feel that this slowed me down, and perhaps cost me a PB, but in the end of the day, the conditions are what they were and I can't control them no matter how frustrating they may be. But the temperature was hot, perfect for sprinting, and the track was bone dry, so it's not like they were bad overall conditions. Perhaps just a bit unlucky at the wrong time. The long jumpers were complaining about winds doing U-turns also, so I don't think I am imagining it, but either way the time will remain the same.

A hugely encouraging run. I didn't run that fast until just before Christmas last year, so to do so in my 2nd race of the season is very pleasing. Onwards and upwards from here.

No racing this weekend, and back for Round 2 of the AV Shield on Saturday week where I suspect my 200m PB will be in real danger (wind and weather permitting) and where I also hope to clip a few seconds off that 800m time.

Thought I'd update as to what I am doing in the gym at the moment. I have a different routine on Monday to a Wednesday which has kept it interesting. On the weight based stuff I am continuously building slowly:

A: Arms
    L: Legs
    S: Stomach/Core

Monday:

Bench Press (A): 4 x 6 or what I can manage @ 152lbs, 157lbs, 162lbs and 167lbs (75.9kg)
    Two-legged Leg Press (L): 3 x 8 @ 446lbs (202.7kg)

Box Squats (L): 3 x 6 @ 60kg
    Plank (S): 3 x 60 seconds

Goodmornings (L): 3 x 10 @ 37.5kg
    Crunches (S): 3 x 50

Circuit Upper Body (A): 3 x (8,4,8,8) @ 23kg approx
    Body Twists (S): 3 x 40 @ 10kg

Wednesday:

Bench Press (A): 4 x 6 or what I can manage @ 152lbs, 157lbs, 162lbs and 167lbs (75.9kg)
    One-legged Leg Press (L): 3 x 8 on each leg @ 166lbs (75.5kg)

Box Squats (L): 3 x 6 @ 60kg
    Medicine Ball throws (S): 3 x 25 @ 5kg

Deadlifts (L): 3 x 5 @ 55kg
    Stomach Ball Crunches (S): 3 x 30

Circuit Upper Body (A): 3 x (8,4,8,8) @ 23kg approx
    Side sit-ups (S): 3 x 10 on each side

I like the balance I have right now between power based exercises and more fitness orientated ones. My deadlift is a recent enough addition and is pretty low in weight. That and the squat are ones I am looking towards continuously adding weight gradually. My leg press is fine where it is I think. The Bench Press I am starting to push out a bit more now. I can manage 2 reps at 167lbs. Gym coach got me to change my hand positioning today so that I work my chest a lot more. Before I had my hands too close together so wasn't getting the full benefit. It felt weird and will take some getting used to. My current weight for reference sake is between 64kg and 65kg.

I won't update the gym stuff much as it is boring listing near identical stuff, but thought I'd give an update today given it has been awhile since I have.

• Advertisement

Back at the track this evening for 500-400-300 with 10 minute recoveries. Think it's the last one of these for awhile, which is a good thing as I'm fairly over them at this stage, though they are magnificent for fitness. Times were:

79 low - 63 low - 47 high

Sort of a mixed session. The 500m was good, pretty close to the best I have done (about 0.7 off it), but the 400m and 300m were a bit average. I would have liked to go about a second faster in the 400m and the 300m I didn't have a lot left, and was hampered by a shocking wind for the first 200m or so, which I guess partly explains the slow time, the slowest I have done for a 300 in all my 5-4-3 sessions.

Overall the session was not one of my better ones but they can't all be brilliant.

This weekend is one of the only one's before Christmas with no race scheduled so I have two days off before a Sunday morning session at the track.

Something a bit different this morning. 2 x 600m with 20 minute recovery, wearing racing flats. There were 3 of us doing them, but one lad was only doing 500s. Basically he would start when the faster lad got to 100m and would try stay close to him. As a result I was running completely on my own which made it mentally very tough.

Rep 1: Went through 200 in 32 seconds. Second 200 was in 34 to go through 400 in 66 and then finished in 35 for the last 200m for a total time of 1:41.3. This was 2:15 low pace for 800m.

Rep 2: Felt tired on the start line, and full of fear, knowing what was ahead. First 200m was more conservative in 34 seconds. Next 200 was in 35 seconds to go through in 69, but finished well with another 35 for a total time of 1:44.8. This was 2:19 high pace for 800m, basically PB pace.

Happy enough. Not experienced with sessions like that. I would have gone faster no doubt if I had somebody to chase, but the other lads were miles in front of me. The other lad who was doing 600 is a 50 sec 400 runner and 2:01 800m runner and he ran both reps in around 91/92.

Very tough session tonight. After all the recent aerobic stuff with long reps of 300 to 600 it was nice to get some somewhat anaerobic stuff done. Session this evening was 5 x 200m with 6 minute recoveries. Told to average half my 400m PB, which for me right now (though hopefully not for long) is 28.1. Times were:

28.0 - 27.7 - 28.7 - 28.7 - 28.9

Average was 28.4 which was almost right on the target, especially when you allow for the fact I was wearing flats. Delighted with this session. Really feel I worked hard. It was a lot tougher than I envisaged. Definitely my best set of 200s I've ever done, by a long way. And there was a headwind in the home straight also.

Had to scrap today's gym session. After track session last night I went for some Thai food. Whatever was in that green curry it did not agree with me. A hell-ish night, and not a very fun day, but I seem to have turned a corner this evening, so hopefully will be back training tomorrow evening, the last session before Saturday's 200m (and 800m) PB assault!

Pretty much recovered from the very brief sickness so back training this evening. Session was 6 x 200m with 200m jog recovery (probably about 75-80 seconds at a guess). I messed up the timing of the 3rd and 4th reps. Times were:

31 low - 32 mid - ? - ? - 34 low - 33 low

The continuous nature of that session I found tough. Not a big fan of jog recoveries. But on the bright side it meant the whole session was done and dusted in about 10 minutes!

200m and 800m on Saturday.

I liked doing that session last year. I think I did it 3 or 4 times over an 8 week stretch and was able to see noticeable improvement each time. Not the easiest of sessions, but I'd take it over a bunch of 300s any day!

Will be getting back to those 200's myself soon.

Usually start with 2 sets of 3x200m off 2 mins and work up to 3 sets off 1 min with 4-5 mins between sets.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Will be getting back to those 200's myself soon.

Usually start with 2 sets of 3x200m off 2 mins and work up to 3 sets off 1 min with 4-5 mins between sets.

Nice. What sort of pace would you be doing the 3 x (3x200m) session in?

Nice. What sort of pace would you be doing the 3 x (3x200m) session in?

For me its a target 800m pace session, so 29-31s.
    Feels like a long way off at the moment.

• Advertisement

25.66 for the 200m today, just 0.04 behind my PB. Not sure what the wind reading is yet but it was probably a legal following wind, though it was into my face on the bend. Was pretty pleased with how I ran the race and assumed I had PB'ed simply because I feel I am in that shape, so am a bit disappointed with the result even though it was a good run, mainly because of missing out on the PB by such a small margin. Fairly sickened. Conditions were perfect today for sprinting.

The 800 after was a disaster. Mentally I wasn't up for it, and I felt exhausted after the 200m and it was pretty hot out also. Forgot my watch which threw me off a little. The heart wasn't in it and when I heard 72 at half way, after briefly trying to lift the effort, I didn't fully extend myself for the final 200 or so and finished in 2:30.4 which is almost 11 seconds slower than what I ran 3 weeks ago. No point dwelling on it. I wasn't up for the race and I got what I deserved. The Vic Milers meet on the last Thursday evening of the month will be my good 800m. I'll be up for that one, and fully focused on the event. Today, the 200m took precedence.

Threw a shot putt 6.20m at the end of the day. Maybe not the most satisfying day I have had, but a few beers tonight and back into training tomorrow morning. Hopefully this 200m run sets me up for a 200m and 400m PB down in Geelong next Friday and Saturday respectively.

Will throw up a report tomorrow.

Advertisement