Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Enjoyable and different track session this morning. A couple of lads who didn't race yesterday got punished by a horrid looking session of 200 reps, with diminishing recoveries. I, on the other hand, had our gym coach doing a belts session with me.

Basically you strap a belt to your waste, he holds onto 2 chains that hang off of it and I try run as hard as I can while he uses his bodyweight as resistance. The idea was to try kick the bum with my heel. Felt very strange running while dragging somebody behind me. I did 2 full sets of the following:

4x10m Belts, 3x40m sprint (without belt)

The first 40m sprint after a set of belts feels incredibly weird. Sort of feels like you are stumbling and struggling to stay on your feet for the first 2-3 strides. Gym coach said that my first 40m sprint after the first set of belts was the best he has seen me run, so maybe there is some instant benefit in all of this.

Plan was to do 3 sets but as I am newbie at it he left it at 2. After I finished with 3x150m at a strong pace with walk back recovery. Times were:

20.7 - 20.8 - 20.7

Back in Doncaster for Round 2. Temperatures in the high 20s. Hot with no cloud cover, and very light breeze, ideal for 200m, but not my personal favourite conditions for 800m.

200m:

The 400m/300m/200m Hurdles took an age. I was warmed up ages before the 200m got called so I had to keep myself ticking over. Eventually the 200m started and I was in the 3rd heat. I was in lane 7, which on a tight track like Doncaster would be more beneficial. I had set my PB of 25.62 on the same track on a very similar day back in January. I felt in PB shape, and confident that, despite the brief food poisoning during the week, I was ready to bring that time down.

I didn't know anything about anyone in my heat, except for the guy in lane 5 who said to me that he was a 25.1ish runner. Gun went off and I got out ok, but as usual slower than my competitors, as a sea of people eat up the stagger on me. I could feel the wind in my face as I come around the bend but once I enter the straight this disappears, no doubt following at a slight cross angle. With 100m to go I am last of the 8, but I am close to the guy in lane 5 and draw level with about 70 to go. I feel I am moving well now but can still not shake this lad. In the final 40m I felt my legs wobbling a little beneath me, ever so slightly tieing up, but I must have help my form better as I pipped this lad in the end by 0.17 seconds to finish in 7th place. My time was 25.66 seconds with a +1.0 m/s wind. This is the second fastest I have ever run and was just 0.04 off my PB. Was disappointed at the time that I hadn't PB'ed but am looking at it more positively now. It was a good run and a good sign of things to come. My coach said to me that my first 50m is the issue as I am not getting enough power out of my start. Some more of those belt sessions (post above) will go far towards improving that aspect of my race.

800m:

Being honest I did not really want to run this. Mentally I wasn't up for it. Physically I was knackered and that 200m took a lot out of me, particularly with the hot weather. The gap between events ended up being only 30 mins. Overall the signs were ominous. I jumped in the 3rd heat, and just as the gun was about to go I realised I forgot my watch, which threw me off a bit. Usually I like to check my split for the first 200m.

There were 12 in my race, and after an energetic first 50m where I darted ahead of the chap who was sharing my lane, I started to fall back, and after 150m he was back ahead of me again. At the 200m mark I was towards the rear of the field. At this point I see an auld lad from Diamond Valley in front of me. He seemed to be running well but I killed him in an 800m last year so the fact he was ahead of me played with my head.

At the bell I heard 72 and I basically gave up here. I initially surged for the next 100m passing one lad, disgusted with how I was running this race, but then with 300m to go, I thought more about it and realised that busting a gut to a 2:26 would mean nothing so I eased off the gas, but not giving up any positions, to finish 10th in 2:30.4, almost 11 seconds off what I ran 3 weeks ago.

It was a complete disaster but I really didn't put my heart into it, and was a bit annoyed after because of it. I've learned that of all events, 800m is not one you want to run if you are not up for it. There have been days where I have been motivated for an 800m but this was not one. I felt horrible all race and hated every second of it. In general it is not a distance I enjoy much, but I will make a genuine stab at it at the Vic Milers meet in 2 and a half weeks. It is an evening meet and it will be the sole focus that evening.

Shot Putt:

Jumped in this at the end of the day. Pretty average. 6.18m to start, followed by 5:8x, and finished with 6.20m, down on what I managed at Decathlon 4 weeks ago.

Next weekend will be a sprint fest. Geelong are having their shield meet next Friday evening so I will run as a guest in the 200m at that. Then the following day are the Geelong Championships Part 1 where I am entered as a guest for the 100m and the 400m. The 400m is the main priority and there is a good chance I will ditch the 100m, but will wait to see the schedule before deciding. Will have to wait and see if there will be heats or not. Looking forward to getting a bit of championship action in.

Training was this morning instead of the evening due to it being Melbourne Cup Day (Victoria gets a public holiday because of a horse race!). Absolutely perfect weather to train in. Probably as perfect as it gets. Sunny, no clouds, light cooling breeze, and temperatures at around 18. It really does not get much better than that!

Another speed session today. First up we did 5 x 100m with loads of recovery between each. Coach put markers at various points for where we would ease off and then speed up again. Don't know the distances exactly but it was around 40m flat out, 10m ease off, 20m flat out, 10m ease off, 20m flat out. No times for any of these reps.

Then finished up with 2 x 260m. Coach told us to run like a 400m, so go very hard for the first 60m, then cruise hard until the water jump and stop. I found this great practice for the 400m, as by starting in the exact point a 400m starts in it allowed me to visualise a real race. Although I was in flats I ran it well and when I stopped I had plenty of gas in the tank. Time was 37 seconds, which translates to 57 flat pace, which was pleasing.

15 minute recovery and we went again. Coach told me to go harder this time. Not flat out, but a bit harder than it would be in a 400m race. I did this but the time was still 37 seconds.

Good way to kick off the day!

Ran a 200m this evening in 27.41 into an outrageous headwind of -7.1. If anything it got even worse after the point at which they stop measuring the wind. Have never experienced conditions so absolutely awful as this evening. Literally felt I was running on the spot. All I can say is I am glad 100/200 aren't my main events as that sort of lark would break ya if you were targetting a race and then that happened.

Let's hope for fairer conditions for tomorrow's 400m.

56.70 in the 400 at the Geelong Championships today to come 2nd (out of just 3) in the men's senior category. Pretty gutted to be honest. I'm getting fed up with all these 56s. That's the 6th time I have ran between 56.26 and 56.70, along with 5 other 57s, all in the last 11 months, since (and including) I ran my first 56 (56.28) last December. So many attempts since then, but that 55 remains elusive. Surely it has got to come sooner or later but it is feeling a bit like a mental barrier as much as a physical one at this stage. Another shot next Saturday anyway.

Ran a 100m 30 mins later because there was a nice tailwind. Ran 12.80 with +2.3 which was a decent training exercise on tired legs. 0.22 off the PB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Chivito550 wrote: »
    56.70 in the 400 at the Geelong Championships today to come 2nd (out of just 3) in the men's senior category. Pretty gutted to be honest. I'm getting fed up with all these 56s. That's the 6th time I have ran between 56.26 and 56.70, along with 5 other 57s, all in the last 11 months, since (and including) I ran my first 56 (56.28) last December. So many attempts since then, but that 55 remains elusive. Surely it has got to come sooner or later but it is feeling a bit like a mental barrier as much as a physical one at this stage. Another shot next Saturday anyway.

Ran a 100m 30 mins later because there was a nice tailwind. Ran 12.80 with +2.3 which was a decent training exercise on tired legs. 0.22 off the PB.

Bummer dude- was hoping you'd nail it. Maybe ask The Wolf for some training advise?

Having entered the Geelong Championships on the Saturday I noticed that the final round of the Geelong Region's AV Shield was brought forward from March to the Friday evening. Even though only rounds 1 and 2 have been completed so far they insisted on calling it round 12. Bizarre but in any case it gave me an extra opportunity for a race and I stayed the night with a friend who was also competing both days.

AV Shield

200m

This was to be an ideal warm-up for the following day's 400m, and hopefully another PB assault after my agonising miss last Saturday, recording 25.66, just 0.04 outside my PB set last January. The reality sadly turned out to be quite a comical farce.

Firstly the weather was fairly bleak. Very windy, overcast, and nippy. However the rain eased away as my race got closer. The race was due to begin at 8pm. I planned my warm up around this. Then at 7:45 they call the men's 200m. I have just finished my drills and have not even begun my strides. I rush a few and then go over to the unfriendly official asking him to wait for me to finish my warm up as their make-it-up-as-they-go-along timing has thrown me off. He seemed disinterested but they waited a few minutes. My mate was in my heat and he deliberately did a couple of extra strides to stall the starters who clearly had no interest about this whole fiasco. Anyway I quickly rushed through another few strides and leg it to the start line. Just at this moment the rain came teeming down. Not ideal preparations it has to be said.

I was in lane 6, with this 16 year old outside me, who looked about 6. I didnt pay much attention to who was inside me due to the rush. Gun went off and I felt I powered out ok, but found myself almost being forced to the outside of my lane, no doubt the wind playing a factor, not a good sign of things to come. But overall the first half of the race was reasonably solid and uneventful. A few lads came past me on the inside as expected and I found myself a good bit down on this baby faced assassin. Then as we entered the straight it became tough. The wind gradually put on the afterburners. It got tough, then tougher, tougher again, and then BAM!!!! A complete sudden gust, a total wall of wind hit us all at once. For a brief split second my body went into some sort of shock where I felt like I didn't notice anything in front of me. I felt I was running on the spot. It really is the strangest sensation. My form went to pot as you would expect and when the wind died very slightly for the final 30m it was way too late to get the speed back up. Damage truly done. I ended up about 0.6 down on the youngster outside me.

My time was 27.41 seconds into a complete hurricane of -7.1 m/s. If anything it was worse than that as they only record the wind based on when the leader hits the straight to around half way down the straight, so a good 60m of my race wasn't recorded in that wind reading and it was definitely worse in the final 50m. Either way, no value could be taken from the time. I have never competed in such appalling conditions before and it is unlikely I will again. That was freakish, and in some ways you had to laugh about it. If you don't laugh, you'd cry. It was a complete waste of an evening as far as I was concerned.

Geelong Championships

400m:

Weather was much better, with the sun breaking out, but the wind remaining prominent. The men's open and men's under 20 went together with just 4 in the race (3 Open and 1 U20). Lanes 2-5 were used with me on the outside. In lane 2 was a sub 50 guy, lane 3 was a guy around my level, who beat me by over a second at State Champs last March, and my mate who is at 51 level in lane 4.

The wind was blustery while I was on the start line, but it's funny I didn't seem to notice the wind for the rest of the race as the whole thing was sort of a blur. I felt I got out reasonably ok, but after 50m my mate had eaten up the stagger on me. I tried to pace off him and cruise down the backstraght. At 100m in the sub 50 guy was well past me also, but there was no sign yet of the guy in lane 3. At about 150m in I felt maybe I dropped the gas a percentage too much and cruised a good bit longer than I normally do. I started raising the effort levels just before the water jump when I noticed the lad in lane 3 coming up close to me. As I enter the straight I am down on him by a metre or two and I put in my final kick, try consciously to lift the knees as much as I can. I claw him back very slowly and for the final 40m it is neck and neck and as I dip I feel I have just about got him.

Overall the race felt decent, and I thought I went better than the result showed. 56.70 seconds, to come 3rd in the race and 2nd in the Men's Open.

I was absolutely gutted with the result. I was gearing myself up for an assault on the 55 or at least my PB and I didn't really come close enough to it. It was a solid run. Decent. But I had set my sights higher that it was such a disappointment. I think this race has made me realise that I am still not quite in the 55 second range. I am close, and may manage it very soon, but the margin for error is probably not very high at the moment. In my current shape I could probably hit it if everything goes right. I just need to get fitter and faster and train well over the next while so that I am not relying on everything else going right.

This is my 6th time running 56 and the consistency is something that is very pleasing but I don't want to settle for that anymore, I want to push on. The problem is I may be putting too much pressure on myself now, and put the figure 55 up on a pedestal. So I think I just need to focus on training hard, and executing my best possible race, and then hopefully the times will look after themselves. I also need to get a bit faster over 200m, as the rule "double your 200m and add 10%" has me bang on 56 low/mid at the moment.

I didn't get a medal for finishing second because I am a guest (not a Geelong club member) and because I didnt pay the option to get a medal (yes you have to pay for your medal if you win one, mental), but I am glad I didn't get one. I'd feel embarrassed winning a medal for running 56. I don't care much for soft medals!

One interesting piece of info, which isn't something I am too bothered with at the moment, is that today was my 20th sub 60 run. It's no longer a challenge for me to run that time, but it was in the past and I haven't forgotten that, and who knows, if I am still at the 400s when I'm an auld fella, it will no doubt become challenging again, so it's good to keep track of them for completeness sake, in case in later years I ever want to hit 50, 100 etc sub 60s.

100m:

I had entered this before I knew it was on after the 400m. I decided not to run it once I saw the timetable but as there was a nice tailwind I had a change of heart and thought what the harm. I made sure to keep warm however, and 30 minutes after my 400m I was back in the starting blocks. My start felt appalling, although made to look bad by two 11 second runners on either side of me, with the guy on the right shouting "come on!!!" after two or three strides. Weird is too soft a word! The two of them got away from me easily and I was battling with another fella who got me by a whisker. I didn't feel I ran a great race and the heavy legs from the 400m definitely impacted my stride and I didn't feel I was getting the same stride length as usual. The wind reading was +2.3 which certainly helped the time though, and I ended up with 12.80 seconds, which, although illegal, is my second fastest electronic time I've run (although I don't believe it was my second best 100m run, all things considered). Overall I was pleased enough as it worked out as a good training exercise on tired legs.

So overall, a very very average weekend. Have got to take the positives and move on. Next Saturday is the AV Shield Round 3 at Albert Park where I will run a 100m and 400m.

Back to the track this morning after 2 days of racing. Another speed session with the belt:

3 sets of:

3 x 14m belt, 3 x 40m

It's amazing how much of an instant difference the belt makes to your flat speed when you take it off afterwards. Hopefully it's not just immediate short term benefits and that there will also be residual benefits which I can take into race day.

Finished the session off with a flat out 200m. Was timed at 27.4 seconds. I had a reasonable headwind for the whole of the last 150m, was in flats, was running on my own, was a bit tired from all the speed stuff and slipped slightly at the start, so overall I'm happy with that.

Tough track session this evening. 460m and 300m, both flat out with 20 minite recovery. The 460m was to be run like a 400m and then just hang on for the final 60m. We started 60m back from the 400m start point which made it a bit hard to think of the first 400m like you would a 400m race (may have been easier to do the extra 60m after the finish line in my opinion). Coach timed me at 59 at the 400m mark and I ended up with around 68/69 at the finish. Coach said I had a bit too much gas left for the final 60m and the idea is to be basically almost crawling that last bit. But I felt I ran it pretty well. It's just an awkward distance and awkward start point to get the head fully tuned into it.

Ran the 300m in 42.8 which I was very happy with as my legs were feeling fatigued towards the end of the 20 minute recovery. Coach timed my last 100m at 14.8 meaning I went through the first 200m in 28 dead which was pleasing.

I was wearing flats and the track was very wet, so overall a good session.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I have a different routine on Monday to a Wednesday which has kept it interesting. On the weight based stuff I am continuously building slowly:

A: Arms
    L: Legs
    S: Stomach/Core

Monday:

Bench Press (A): 4 x 6 or what I can manage @ 152lbs, 157lbs, 162lbs and 167lbs (75.9kg)
    Two-legged Leg Press (L): 3 x 8 @ 446lbs (202.7kg)

Box Squats (L): 3 x 6 @ 60kg
    Plank (S): 3 x 60 seconds

Goodmornings (L): 3 x 10 @ 37.5kg
    Crunches (S): 3 x 50

Circuit Upper Body (A): 3 x (8,4,8,8) @ 23kg approx
    Body Twists (S): 3 x 40 @ 10kg

Wednesday:

Bench Press (A): 4 x 6 or what I can manage @ 152lbs, 157lbs, 162lbs and 167lbs (75.9kg)
    One-legged Leg Press (L): 3 x 8 on each leg @ 166lbs (75.5kg)

Box Squats (L): 3 x 6 @ 60kg
    Medicine Ball throws (S): 3 x 25 @ 5kg

Deadlifts (L): 3 x 5 @ 55kg
    Stomach Ball Crunches (S): 3 x 30

Circuit Upper Body (A): 3 x (8,4,8,8) @ 23kg approx
    Side sit-ups (S): 3 x 10 on each side

Thought I'd update on my gym progress since the above quoted post from 3 weeks ago.

A: Arms
    L: Legs
    S: Stomach/Core

Monday:

Bench Press (A): 4 x 6 or what I can manage @ 157lbs, 162lbs, 167lbs and 172lbs (78.2kg)
    Two-legged Leg Press (L): 3 x 8 @ 446lbs (202.7kg)

Box Squats (L): 3 x 6 @ 67.5kg
    Plank (S): 3 x 60 seconds

Goodmornings (L): 3 x 10 @ 42.5kg
    Crunches (S): 3 x 50

Circuit Upper Body (A): 3 x (8,4,8,8) @ 25kg approx
    Body Twists (S): 3 x 40 @ 10kg

Wednesday:

Bench Press (A): 4 x 6 or what I can manage @ 157lbs, 162lbs, 167lbs and 172lbs (78.2kg)
    One-legged Leg Press (L): 3 x 8 on each leg @ 186lbs (84.5kg)

Box Squats (L): 3 x 6 @ 67.5kg
    Medicine Ball throws (S): 3 x 25 @ 5kg

Deadlifts (L): 3 x 5 @ 62.5kg
    Stomach Ball Crunches (S): 3 x 30

Circuit Upper Body (A): 3 x (8,4,8,8) @ 25kg approx
    Side sit-ups (S): 3 x 10 on each side

For the bench press I am hitting 6 reps for 157lbs, around 4 for 162lbs, just 2 for 167lbs and 1 for 172lbs. Hopefully I can raise the 162lbs up to 6 and the 167lbs and 172lbs up by a rep or two. 172lbs is the heaviest I've ever lifted so naturally am stuck on just one rep at the moment.

My weight, for reference sake, after Monday's session was 10 stone on the button, 63.5kg or approx 140lbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I wonder is there something missing from your training that is halting your progress? You seemed to have plateaued a bit around the 56 second mark. Do you do any aerobic running at all? Maybe that is the missing link? There are a couple of good 400m runners in my club (one 50 second runner, the other 49). They both do a lot of aerobic training alongside their speed endurance work (in fairness they are 400/800 doublers rather than 200/400m but still). I even noted on Oregano States log that he includes some easy aerobic running in his plan. I know you say you don't easy running but if it could make the difference with your training you might need to consider. Maybe OS or dna_leri might chime in here as they know more than me.

pconn062 wrote: »
    I wonder is there something missing from your training that is halting your progress? You seemed to have plateaued a bit around the 56 second mark. Do you do any aerobic running at all? Maybe that is the missing link? There are a couple of good 400m runners in my club (one 50 second runner, the other 49). They both do a lot of aerobic training alongside their speed endurance work (in fairness they are 400/800 doublers rather than 200/400m but still). I even noted on Oregano States log that he includes some easy aerobic running in his plan. I know you say you don't easy running but if it could make the difference with your training you might need to consider. Maybe OS or dna_leri might chime in here as they know more than me.

To be honest, when going by the "Process, not outcome" mentality the reality is I am in way better shape than I was when I ran my PB so feel it is only a matter of time before a breakthrough run. Last year I got stuck on low 58 for a few races before running a low 56. Last season I reached my peak in my 6th and 7th races of the season (and got very close again in my 9th and 10th). I've only had 3 races so far this season, I'm just an impatient bollix is all! I'm much stronger than I was last January, lifting far heavier, My basic speed is faster as evidenced by the 12.58 a few weeks back, and I'mm managing harder sessions, and am now training 6 days a week, instead of 5 last year. If I keep up the consistency and keep improving in training and in the gym, a big PB is bound to come eventually.

Going all mathematical, my coach said for a 400m runner a good test is double your 200m time and add 10%. (25.62 x 2) +10% = 56.36 (actual PB is 56.26). So pretty dead on by that method. However based on my 100m time of 12.58, as a 400m runner, I probably should really be running around 25.3. Using that figure that would then give me a 55.66. Without any improvements, I think right now, it is possible that I am in 55 shape, just I haven't brought it out yet, nor have got ideal racing conditions yet either.

With the aerobic running. Most top 400m runners who I have interviewed say they do aerobic running in winter, but I don't recall any saying they do this in summer. I spent my first 10 weeks or so of my winter training doing something aerobic at the weekend. Mainly mile TT's as I found that more useful for a sprinter than going for a long run, but I did do some 4-5km jogs also (lets be fair, at the pace I am running that distance, it is a jog regardless of effort). I think there is a big difference between a 400/800 runner (and to be honest these runners are few, as the events are so different I think if somebody was to try focus on both simultaneously he/she would not reach their potential in either IMO) than a 200/400 runner. I think also there is a big difference between an 800m runner who happens to do a 400m as a test of speed (like dna_leri for example) and somebody who trains as a pure 400m runner, or as a 200/400 runner. 400m is still mainly anaerobic, and I don't see how adding a 5km jog would make me run faster. I think it is all about getting stronger (incremental improvements in the gym each week), faster (am doing more speed stuff now with the belt) and improving the speed endurance (which is well over half of our sessions).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sprinter in my club who is a pure 400m runner. She does the odd 100m or 200m, even more rarely an 800m, but 400m is her distance.
    Her coach (and he is a top coach) has her doing 30-45 minute runs, 3 mile time trials etc once a week at the moment. (Yes, this is winter training and the longer runs will drop out of her schedule as she gets closer to race season.)

RayCun wrote: »
    Sprinter in my club who is a pure 400m runner. She does the odd 100m or 200m, even more rarely an 800m, but 400m is her distance.
    Her coach (and he is a top coach) has her doing 30-45 minute runs, 3 mile time trials etc once a week at the moment. (Yes, this is winter training and the longer runs will drop out of her schedule as she gets closer to race season.)

Yeh common in winter, but not in summer.

Look at the distances she is running - 3 mile time trials, and easy runs of 30 growing to 45 minutes. She might even do a couple of XC races

Look at the distances she is running - 3 mile time trials, and easy runs of 30 growing to 45 minutes. She might even do a couple of XC races

Yeh it's interesting stuff and a topic which is always going to divide opinion. All coaches are different of course, so I don't think there is any purely right and wrong method. Winter training is all about getting strong and getting fit ("fit" for a 400m runner and "fit" for a 1500m runner would different of course). There are many different ways to get fit for 400m. This winter I did do the "long run" at the weekend for the first 2 months of my winter training (either 1 mile TT, or 3-5km runs at a hard pace). Looking back through my log I see I did this every weekend bar one week when I was on holidays after exams. Then close to Moscow my coach got me to do 8x200 sessions at the weekend instead to get ready for that 800m race. When I came back from Moscow it was getting closer to summer so we were starting to settle into weekend sessions.

Throughout the winter we did hills, which were 300m in length. We would do many of our hill sessions with the middle distance runners. 8 x 300m hills with jog back recoveries (not every week mind you) was among the toughest aerobic session I have done, it got me really fit. I felt extremely fit, even in July, and I think this is down largely to these hills. Even with a week of horrid sickness, and the distraction of Rob's victory celebration the night before I still managed a 2:21 for 800m (which is poor, but was only 2 seconds off my PB which I set in-season last year.

Point is, there are many different approaches to getting fit. Even now, in-season we are doing plenty of aerobic power sessions which are crucial to 400m fitness: 6x200m with 200 jog, 2 x 600 with 20 mins, 500-400-300, 4x300 with 6,4 and 2 min recoveries etc etc. All this stuff gets you fit. Not 800m fit, but 400m fit.

Longer time trials is something I will look into for my next winter cycle, but any long run I do I like to be a hard effort (even if the time is slow compared to what distance runners do). I don't see the benefit in a 30 minute trot around the park. In any case, at this time of the year, it's all pointless. Going for long runs in summer season would be akin to a marathon runner doing some flying 30s or flat out 60s 10 weeks out from race day.

a time trial is, by definition, a hard effort. Knowing the training group she's with, the longer 'easy' runs are going to be pretty tough as well (for them, not for a distance runner). There may be many approaches to fitness, but there are different elements that have to be combined in any approach, and sustained over-distance running is most likely one of them.

a time trial is, by definition, a hard effort. Knowing the training group she's with, the longer 'easy' runs are going to be pretty tough as well (for them, not for a distance runner). There may be many approaches to fitness, but there are different elements that have to be combined in any approach, and sustained over-distance running is most likely one of them.

I suspect I know which athlete you may be referring to. One of the top female 400 runners in Ireland at the moment? Does she do a time trial and an 'easy run" each week during winter? So two purely aerobic sessions a week? How many sessions in total each week?

Agree with the over distance stuff, and we do a good bit of that: 2 x 600, 500-400-300, the other day we did 460 flat out, then a 300 are among the sessions we have done. The other day my training partners had to do 500, 30 sec break, then 300m, all at 800m pace (I was given a speed session with the belt instead though under coaches orders to improve my explosive power).

One point I forgot also, early season for about 3-4 weeks we were doing winders (basically what they call fartlek here). Soul destroying stuff of 5 laps, 4 laps, and 3 laps or striding the straights and jogging the bends. The other guys were doing them for longer but I started back on the track for winter a month after the others because of exam commitments, otherwise I would have been doing that awful session for 7-8 weeks! So overall I have done a lot of aerobic stuff this winter.

I don't know her full schedule - 6 days training (+ weights on two days), I think only one of those is aerobic. By which I mean not just slightly more than 400m :)
    If you want to interview her, send me a PM, I'll pass it on...

Easier session this evening with 400m race on Saturday. 5 x 150m with walk back recovery at a nice rhythm, not supposed to be flat out. Times were:

20.4 - 20.8 - 21.0 - 19.6* - 20.2

The 4th rep was a funny one. The 3 of us sprinters stood behind the big middle distance group who were also doing a 150m as part of their session. So we decided to let them off for 30m and then try chase them down for the craic. Didn't quite catch the backmarker but got very close. Realised after that I was running in lane 2, rather than 3, so ran probably 2-3 metres less than the full 150, so 19.6 is incorrect, but it may well have been a sub 20. I was moving very well and beat one of the lads who is always ahead of me over 100 and 200, in sessions and in races. Ran the last rep hard also and pipped him again.

So feeling good ahead of the 100 and 400 on Saturday at Lakeside Stadium. Weather has been muck all week (Melbourne's coldest November snap in 20 years, and by cold they mean 8 consecutive days where the temperature has not reached 20 ha!) and has been rainy all week, but looks like Saturday will be a nice day. Lets hope the famous Lakeside winds don't make an appearance!

• Advertisement

55.91 in the 400m today :) Absolutely over the moon. A PB by 0.35 secs, but most importantly, the fulfillment of a goal I set 19 months ago when my PB was 58.68. Immensely satisfying after the 10 failed attempts since my first 56 sec run back 11 months ago. It all came together so well today. Persistence does pay off.

Ran 12.67 with a +0.8 in the 100m earlier, just 0.09 off my best, but today is all about the 400.

Report to come tomorrow, but now it's time for a PB beer :)

Following on from the highs of yesterday, this morning was a bit of a sobering session. I was the only sprinter there doing 2 x 600m with 20 minute recovery. The last session you want to be doing solo.

Rep 1 rough splits: 31-36-36

Rep 1 time: 1:43

Rep 2 rough splits: 33-38-35

Rep 2 time: 1:46

Last time I did the session I ran 1:41 and 1:44, so both reps were 2 seconds slower on this occasion, which probably has a lot to do with having nobody to chase. Went to sleep during the middle 200.

Report of yesterday's meet to come soon.

AV Shield action returned this weekend, with round 3 taking place in the home of Victorian athletics, Lakeside Stadium at Albert Park. On the menu for me was the 100m and 400m.

100m:

Preparations weren't ideal as I got stuck in traffic on the way to the stadium, and only got to the track 35 minutes before the men's 100m was due to start. Got straight into my warm up, slowly forgot about the stress and worry of cutting it very fine, and got my full warm up done with a little bit to spare in the end.

There had been a tailwind throughout the women's 100m, but as I waited in the queue for my race it started fluctuating almost every minute from tailwind to headwind. Besides that weather was perfect. Temperatures weren't high, around 20, but the sun was out and the UV was high making it feel hotter than it really was, and the track was bone dry. Good conditions for a quick run.

Lanes 4-10 were being used for the 100m, and I was in lane 5. I didn't pay too much attention to who else was in my race except one lad from Collingwood who was in the lane beside me, who had beaten me in my first 100m race of the season (12.0 to 12.5 hand timed) so I thought he would be a good marker. He ran the exact same time as me at the first shield meet (12.58) but we were in different heats.

I got out slower than him and was down on him by a few metres after 30m, a trademark start of mine it seems. At half way he is about 4 metres up on me, but I then start to find my rythm and slowly real him back. For some reason I almost felt like I wasn't fully in control for the last 30m or so, probably a sensation that comes with the speed I was going at, which is not a speed I operate very often, so the feeling is a bit alien to me. Also in the last 30m there was a reasonable headwind, which everybody noticed afterwards. I finished about 1 metre and a half down on the Collingwood lad and my initial feeling was that I ran well, but probably not quite a PB and that the wind would have had some impact.

Then we see the wind reading was +0.8 which means that the headwind only appeared after they stopped recording the wind (after 60m i think). Scary how quick the wind can just change like that.

The next half hour was eventful. The result of our heat didn't come up. Then they said they lost our results and we wouldn't get any. Naturally I was pissed off. Then it turned out it was the following heat after mine which they lost and they allocated our times to those guys by mistake. After some frustration we eventually got our results. I finished last of 7 with a time of 12.67 seconds, just 0.09 off my PB, and the second fastest I have ever run. I was 0.21 down on the lad beside me. Overall a satisfactory result which set me up well for the 400m 90 minutes later.

400m:

I was so disappointed after my 400m run in Geelong last weekend. After a 56.45 in my second race of the season three weeks prior, and after good training since, I felt ready to hit that 55. However I ended up with a 56.70 which left me scratching my head. After a day or so I picked myself up and convinced myself that if I kept doing what I am doing things would eventually come together.

In April 2012 after my first full track season and with a PB of 58.68 I set aside what may have appeared an optimistic goal at the time of 55.xx (or sub 56). Last December I ran a PB of 56.28 which was a huge breakthrough for me, which was almost a 2 second improvement on my PB of 58.01 which had stood for a few races. I was so close to my target and what followed was failed attempt after failed attempt. Near miss after near miss. Some bad luck, some bad runs. 10 attempts after that first breakthrough 56, all in 2013:

1) 56.26 (PB)
    2) 57.26 (average run, messed around with new spikes, and probably suffering from the effects of sitting in the sun all day at the tennis the day before)
    3) 56.57 (Vic Country Champs)
    4) 56.39 (Vic Decathlon after 4 events)
    5) 57.18 (High velocity meet where I was put in a heat with just one other lad, a 51/52 runner)
    6) 57.56 (State Champs, poor run, and lane 1)
    7) 57.83 (Sick as a dog, went onto antibiotics the next day, shouldn't have run, but was last race of the 12/13 season)
    8) 57.4h (first race of 13/14 season, very positive opener)
    9) 56.45 (Another positive early season run)
    10) 56.70 (described above)

55 was starting to feel like a mental barrier as much as physical so I went for a change in mind set. Process, not outcome. Execute as a good a race as I can, and hopefully the uncontrollables (lane draw, weather) will play their part also.

The weather on this occasion was fairly nice. As always at Lakeside there was a wind but it wasn't too bad. The sun was out, and the temperatures were comfortable, and the track was dry. Albert Park has a lovely blue track only two years old and hosts the best athletics meets in Australia including the IAAF World Challenge meet so there really is no better place (proximity to lake and therefore winds aside) to run well when the conditions are ok.

My training partner was running his first race of the season and my coach told us both to go in the one heat. This would certainly add that little bit extra to the race. Last year he ran 56 but he hasn't quite been as fit this year and although he always takes me for basic speed, in terms of fitness there is no real contest at the moment and over 400m I expected to take him (different story over 200m, he went 24 mid last season). We were both hoping for the inside lane on the other for pacing purposes, and for once I got the rub of the green with regards this (it always seems like my closest standard competitors are always inside me). I got lane 6 and him lane 7. There was an over 40's Collingwood lad in lane 5 who consistently runs 56. Besides that I didn't pay attention to who else was in the race. We were in the 4th fastest heat overall, the 55/56 heat. I was focused, but I was also extremely nervous, maybe the most nervous I have been before any race. I knew I was ready for a good one. Throughout the day I remembered Rob Heffernan's comment in Moscow about his own race along the lines of "why is anything going to go wrong, you've done the work. Nothing will go wrong".

Gun went off and I got out well. Maybe one of my better starts. Flat out for the first 60m and then settled into a fast cruise. The Collingwood lad came up on me on the backstraight at some point which I have vague recollections of. I was just so focused on myself and I was only really looking at my club mate outside of me. I know how he runs. He goes out hard and then dies. It's just the type of runner he is, somebody who is more of a 200m guy. He was a perfect rabbit to track my progress against in the first 200m. I knew that if I was up on him at half way then he would not be coming back. I feel myself edging closer and closer to him towards the end of the backstraight. As I enter the end I up the effort levels and with about 180m to go I fly past him. Now I gradually wind up to flat out.

With 110m to go I am right back on the Collingwood lad, who was starting to suffer for a very fast start and I eased past him coming around the bend into the straight. I was in a very good place. I could now see where I was in the actual race, and I was right in contention. I consciously tried to lift the knees down the homestraight, fighting the lactic acid starting to build up. With about 50m to go I can hear my mate shout out some support. I heard it, and it helped. I kept going. Just keep it together for a few more seconds. I crossed the line unsure of where I finished but knowing I ran a good one, and somewhat expecting it to be a PB.

One lad came up to me after and said he timed me at 55.1 but missed the very start. My vocal mate said he got me at 55.5. Usually I get a rough time off my coach (who is more accurate with the hand times) but the computer was working this week and churning out near instant results. I waited impatiently. It seemed like any age. The longest 2 and a half minutes of my life before the result confirmed what I had hoped. 55.91 seconds, a PB by 0.35 seconds, and the first time sub 56, the fulfillment of a goal I set back 19 months ago. I was naturally over the moon and quite vocal in my joy. It was almost as much relief as much as anything. Moments like that make all the disappointments and near misses worth it. Magic.

I finished 4th of 8, just 0.10 off third and 0.41 off 2nd, with the winner cruising to a 54, well within himself. Probably the most evenly competitive 400m race I have run in.

In one way now the pressure is off. The barrier has been broken and whatever happens I am now a 55 second runner. But not for a second do I want to stop there. I am taking a few days to really soak up the PB but there's no doubt I wan't to get faster, and that starts with the next 400m race, on the same track at the High Velocity meet in 2 weeks time. You have to keep fighting that law of diminishing returns.

Next up is an 800m race at the Vic Milers meet on Thursday where I will hopefully set another PB, albeit a far more modest one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Thats what its all about, great PB, great achievement and well done. You are now a 55 second 400m sprinter which looks way better:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Outstanding dude. Happy for you. Would love to see a show down between yourself the Wolf now that you're both sub 56 runners! :D:D:D:D:D

On a serious note great running and nice PB

drquirky wrote: »
    Would love to see a show down between yourself the Wolf now that you're both sub 56 runners! :D:D:D:D:D

It's a nice thought and I would be keen but I reckon you will have to do a deal with his agent. He's chasing the big bucks associated with a sub 3:15 marathon, putting his speed to the very best of use :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done. Super result and a great report. Great to see all the hard work* paying off. What do you mean by diminishing returns? Are you referring to age, or do you reckon you're getting close to your training maximum? Or just reaping the benefits from this particular block of training?

*In relative terms. ;)

Well done. Super result and a great report. Great to see all the hard work* paying off. What do you mean by diminishing returns? Are you referring to age, or do you reckon you're getting close to your training maximum? Or just reaping the benefits from this particular block of training?

*In relative terms. ;)

What I mean by diminishing returns is that the improvements are getting smaller as time goes on. I improved by 5.4 seconds in my first year, 2.4 seconds in my second season, but over the last year have only improved by 0.4. More work is needed to make smaller gains, compared to when I started off when I was taking huge chunks off. I'm training so much better and lifting so much heavier now but the improvements become smaller and smaller. I'd say it's pretty common in all distances and you've probably noticed a similar thing yourself where you've got to a level where you are taking a few minutes (and sometimes seconds) off each time in the marathon, rather than the large chunks when you started. I think it is possibly more common in sprinting events because you will always have your natural speed as a limiting factor. I've done a lot of work in improving my 100m speed, and have got good results, and will continue to improve on it, but I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could run low 11 for 100m, as I just don't have that natural speed, so that will always be a somewhat limiting factor over 400m. However, one of my training partners can barely squeeze under 12 and can run 50. That is not the norm though.

Having said all that, I doubt I am near my maximum potential yet. If everything goes smoothly I'm sure I have a good 2-3 years of real improvement left in me. But it will be smaller improvements each year. However you never know when that big unexpected jump can happen. It happened before (58.01 to 56.28) so who knows, it could happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Right. I was worried that you had mentally created an artificial ceiling for yourself, which makes little sense, particularly as you've only really been committed to the 400m for a couple of years (right?). Gains are never linear (I was stuck at 2:48 for nearly two years), before pushing on again. In marathon terms, sometimes you just need a reset (back to basics, or change in training strategy), as repeating the same plan of action will eventually lead to diminishing returns. Not trying to give you advice, just saying that if you think you are close to your maximum potential, then you inevitably will be, but set a goal of 52:xx (even if it may never be feasible) and cracking 55 will be a damn site more achievable.

• Advertisement

Right. I was worried that you had mentally created an artificial ceiling for yourself, which makes little sense, particularly as you've only really been committed to the 400m for a couple of years (right?). Gains are never linear (I was stuck at 2:48 for nearly two years), before pushing on again. In marathon terms, sometimes you just need a reset (back to basics, or change in training strategy), as repeating the same plan of action will eventually lead to diminishing returns. Not trying to give you advice, just saying that if you think you are close to your maximum potential, then you inevitably will be, but set a goal of 52:xx (even if it may never be feasible) and cracking 55 will be a damn site more achievable.

I agree completely. I definitely don't think I am near my max, and I don't really set ultimate targets (although brianderunner's 53.8 would be a nice one to get :D). It's all a learning curve really. I'm learning new things about training every week. It really is all about the process as much the result. Even something small like squatting heavier than before. Things like that are pleasing and bring confidence, as much as it brings athletic benefits. When I look at the weights I am squatting and deadlifting my reps of 6 at (70kg and 65kg respectively) it is clear that there is huge room for improvement in that facet (all done incrementally of course). And as my coach said, training is a cumulative thing. It all builds up over the years. I'm still young, and have only been at this properly for about 2 years and 3 months (and only been part of a training group for 1 year and 9 months) so I'm still very much a novice. I'm competing against people who have been at this since childhood.

Advertisement