Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

04072511 wrote: »
    Did this same hill session today. Ran hard but comfortable, maybe at 80%. For the last one I pushed harder but still not completely all out. Times were:

17(high) - 18(low) - 17(mid) - 17(low) - 16(mid)

Did this session this evening, although I have a feeling I may have measured it out a few metres longer today (or maybe I measured it short the last day. Who knows).

My shins were aching, and my right groin was noticeably sore and stiff, albeit much better than it was the day after my 400m race. I loosened up as the session went on and I suppose the main positive was that I got faster each time. I went at about 85-90%, maybe 95% for the last rep. My body just wouldnt let me go flat out. I didnt feel particularly smooth. My times were:

19(high) - 18(high) - 18(mid) - 18(low) - 17(high)

Not terribly happy with the session but at least I've blown the cobwebs off. First session back after a race can be average.

I'm feeling my body break down ever so slightly. Sprinting really does put a serious stress on the body, to the extent that even marathon running doesn't. New injuries just seem to crop up all the time. At the moment it's my shins, my groin, and who knows what else will appear soon.

I think I need to slightly decrease the workload and am considering just doing 2 sessions during the week between races, for the next week or two. I was planning on doing sessions Tues, Wed and Thurs this week, but I think I may be putting my body through a lot, so perhaps a Tues and Thurs combo is the best approach for the moment.

Another thing I need to look at is the fact all my training is on a paved road. Maybe this isn't helping with my shins. A gravel road (like in the last place I worked) would be perfect, but where I am right now, all the gravel roads are full of potholes the size of lakes (as Dustin likes to say when describing County Cavan), and full of rocks and other sh1t like that. I'll do a bit of exploring and see if I can find somewhere safe to run. Running on grass is out of the equation as it is bogland filled with idiotic sheep.

Groin remains a bit stiff, with a very light ache. It feels minor but was noticeable yesterday when I ran.

Am stuck a bit in limbo with regards what to do. Have Meet 3 of the AV Shield on Saturday. I hate missing races, and am worried that by taking some time off I am going to lose my fitness and undo all the good I have done over the last 8 weeks and basically go back to square one. But at the same time, if I continue I am worried that it may get worse.

I don't want to be one of those people who just stop running at the first sign of any little niggle.

:mad: GRRRR! Decisions, decisions. I am not training today, and will skip tomorrow aswell and see how I feel on Friday.

I'll do a core strength session this evening to make up for the lack of running.

Thinking about this more logically now and have decided to give it a full week of rest starting now. I hate missing races, but it really isnt worth risking tearing my groin. So unless there is dramatic improvement by Friday lunchtime then I'll have to pull the plug on Saturday's meet.

The only positive is that it means I can go on a mad one on friday for the International Rules match in Melbourne. The thoughts of having to take it easy while all my mates got smashed was a bit of a killer, so I guess every cloud has a silver lining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thinking about this more logically now and have decided to give it a full week of rest starting now. I hate missing races, but it really isnt worth risking tearing my groin. So unless there is dramatic improvement by Friday lunchtime then I'll have to pull the plug on Saturday's meet.
    The only positive is that it means I can go on a mad one on friday for the International Rules match in Melbourne. The thoughts of having to take it easy while all my mates got smashed was a bit of a killer, so I guess every cloud has a silver lining.

I wonder which one of these thoughts came first;)

ecoli wrote: »
    I wonder which one of these thoughts came first;)

Haha. Nah believe me, I'd rather run and take it easy the night before. But if I am going to be sidelined then I may aswell take advantage of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Haha. Nah believe me, I'd rather run and take it easy the night before. But if I am going to be sidelined then I may aswell take advantage of it!

I'm only winding ya up dont worry:D

ecoli wrote: »
    I'm only winding ya up dont worry:D

I figured that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Did this session this evening, although I have a feeling I may have measured it out a few metres longer today (or maybe I measured it short the last day. Who knows).

My shins were aching, and my right groin was noticeably sore and stiff, albeit much better than it was the day after my 400m race. I loosened up as the session went on and I suppose the main positive was that I got faster each time. I went at about 85-90%, maybe 95% for the last rep. My body just wouldnt let me go flat out. I didnt feel particularly smooth. My times were:

19(high) - 18(high) - 18(mid) - 18(low) - 17(high)

Not terribly happy with the session but at least I've blown the cobwebs off. First session back after a race can be average.

I'm feeling my body break down ever so slightly. Sprinting really does put a serious stress on the body, to the extent that even marathon running doesn't. New injuries just seem to crop up all the time. At the moment it's my shins, my groin, and who knows what else will appear soon.

I think I need to slightly decrease the workload and am considering just doing 2 sessions during the week between races, for the next week or two. I was planning on doing sessions Tues, Wed and Thurs this week, but I think I may be putting my body through a lot, so perhaps a Tues and Thurs combo is the best approach for the moment.

Another thing I need to look at is the fact all my training is on a paved road. Maybe this isn't helping with my shins. A gravel road (like in the last place I worked) would be perfect, but where I am right now, all the gravel roads are full of potholes the size of lakes (as Dustin likes to say when describing County Cavan), and full of rocks and other sh1t like that. I'll do a bit of exploring and see if I can find somewhere safe to run. Running on grass is out of the equation as it is bogland filled with idiotic sheep.

Skipping the weekend race would be a wise move. It would not do your confidence much good if you run bad times and you may be out longer with a worse injury. These injuries I believe are your body saying to take a step back and recover from the stress of last weekend and before.
    I have done no running since Saturday due to the same shin problem. I have stayed away from the gym also as I am a bit run down with head cold/cough. I feel good today so I hope to get back to the track tomorrow.
    Have a few pints and hit the training hard next week.

Thought I'd give an update to my groin injury.

My friend from home who is a physical therapist gave me some medical advice, and said that all the symptoms would point to a minor strain of the tendon of the groin muscle, although he cant be 100% certain as he isnt able to examine it in person.

He advised to rest, take a short course of anti-inflamatories for 3-4 days, that icing it will make no difference, and to do transverse frictions across the tendon. I've done all this and finished my 24 Neurofen tablets this afternoon, havent trained since last Tuesday, and have done the transverse frictions (though maybe not as often as I should, and I really am not sure whether I am doing them right or not).

He also advised to restart training by light jogging for 15 minutes and then slowly build up my sprinting to max pace over a few days.

I'm feeling much much better now, though it certainly isn't 100% and I can definetely feel a tiny ache when I press against the groin, but way better that it was last week. And when I did a side plank today during my core strength workout it was still noticeable, but again much better than last week.

Hoping to go for a jog tomorrow, see how it feels and then take it from there. Fingers crossed I will see the back of this soon.

Still hoping to be ready for Round 4 of the AV Shield on Saturday 12 November. I've a 400m race that day and was hoping that would be my first realistic tilt at sub 60, but after all this time out of training I'd say there is absolutely zero chance of that now. If I could get under 61 again I'd be doing well.

This sport can be so frustrating at times. Injuries popping up the day after a great race. Certainly know how Derval must have felt getting a minor injury the day of her biggest race of 2011.

Went for a 15 minute jog at a fairly light pace (probably 9-10 minute mile pace). It felt ok. Not terrible, but not great also. Only OK. My groin wasnt hurting or anything, but certainly felt weak and sensitive. Of course it wouldnt help that my right groin was all that I was focusing on for the entire 15 minutes.

Really dont know what to do next. Theres no way I can sprint on that groin the way it is right now.

:(

• Advertisement

Well I went to a physio out in Wangaratta (town of approx 30,000 people) last friday. He used to compete in athletics (albeit distance running) so immediately I was happy that I was in good hands. He said that it isn't a groin injury that I have, but rather a stiff and tense back that is causing the pain down in the groin. So he loosened up the back and I have to go back to him tomorrow.

He gave me some core strength exercises to do morning and evening.

He said that the injury is caused by overtraining and that my body isn't currently strong enough to cope with the volume I have been doing and my body broke down as a result. He said all the farm work I have been doing wouldnt have helped either.

He said no running for 2 weeks, which means probably no competing for 4 weeks. This is pretty gutting as the track meets are coming thick and fast now, with one pretty much every week. This isn't like being a marathon runner injured, where there are marathons on 12 months of the year, and you can simply pick a new goal race if you have an injury setback. With what I am doing there is a short season (October to February) so being out for a month does serious damange to my goals and aspirations. And I hate missing so many track meets, especially since I've paid a lot of money to do them!

The sub 60 goal is very much off now for the moment, which is pretty disappointing as I was just 0.91 seconds from it, so early in the season.

The groin feels a bit better. When I push the groin I don't feel anything really. But the discomfort is still there when I stretch. I hope the physio knows what he is doing. Am putting full faith in him.

The last few weeks haven't been easy. Am struggling with being on my own out in the middle of nowhere doing farm work. The isolation and loneliness is not one bit fun. Obviously it's a means to an end, so I can get a 2nd year visa, but it has been a serious emotional and mental struggle of late. My training was something that was keeping me focused on something, and with that gone for the time being, it has made things a bit tough. :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056436830

3 more weeks to get through anyway, and then I'll be a city dweller for the rest of my days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

As running is out are you doing any strength work? I understand that you have no access to weights but do you do any body weight stuff like chin ups, press ups, dips etc? It may help with the boredom.
    I found that doing a pyramid chin up session is a great compound exercise for all round strength and it gives your core a great workout.

RandyMann wrote: »
    As running is out are you doing any strength work? I understand that you have no access to weights but do you do any body weight stuff like chin ups, press ups, dips etc? It may help with the boredom.
    I found that doing a pyramid chin up session is a great compound exercise for all round strength and it gives your core a great workout.

Yeh currently doing exercises the physio gave me (back bridges x10, lie on side and raise leg x10, on both sides, lie on side, raise leg, and swing back and forth x10, on both sides).

In addition I have been doing planks, push ups, and heel raises for my calves.

Going back to the physio today so will ask for more advice on what I can do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You'll have to keep up all that core and strength work now. :)

I'd hazard a guess that the physio is decent, sports medicine is a big deal in Australia, if you don't have faith in him you can search for sports physios HERE - probably better than any 'sports' physio you'd get here...

Australia is massive for Physio education - Irish physio's go there in their hordes for masters programmes, so I'm sure you're being well looked after.

You'll have to keep up all that core and strength work now. :)

I'd hazard a guess that the physio is decent, sports medicine is a big deal in Australia, if you don't have faith in him you can search for sports physios HERE - probably better than any 'sports' physio you'd get here...

Australia is massive for Physio education - Irish physio's go there in their hordes for masters programmes, so I'm sure you're being well looked after.

Yeh I'm sure he knows what he's doing. His understanding of athletics certainly has my mind at greater ease.

He said to me today that the farm work really isn't doing me any favours at all. But what choice do I have. I need to do it if I want to stay living here! He said to me that I should be pleased that my body lasted as long as it did before breaking down, as he said he genuinely wouldn't last a week doing that stuff!

I want to build up my upper body a bit more, in addition to my core. I'm barely 10 stone, and even though I could eat for Ireland and Australia at the same time, I don't put on any weight. When I look at the people I race against they all have much more muscle than me. Any suggestions on what to do to build it up a bit? I'm doing pushups, but what else, bearing in mind I do not have any access to weights while I'm on the farm?

Physio said to me on friday to go for a 10-15 minute jog at the weekend, and then do 6x100m strides and that if it is painful to stop immediately.

So did that today. 12:45 minute jog, followed by 6x97m strides at about 50-60% (there was a tree at the 97m mark which made marking my run easier).

It felt ok actually. Groin area felt weak, but it coped with the 6x97m with 1 minute breat, and felt better after each rep. Didn't run them fast, at around 19 second pace for 100m. It was on a gravel road, and I was in road runners, so at full pace and fitness I'd still only be doing those reps in 15-16 seconds on that road and in those running shoes, so it's not so bad I guess.

Back to the physio tomorrow so we'll see what the next course of action is. I'm doing my core strength exercises twice a day, morning and evening.

Back to the physio today and he said to continue training like I did yesterday, every second day starting today, and later in the week try some 200m reps and gradually try build the effort up to 80%.

Ran for 11:30 mins today and then did 6x100m strides at around 19 second pace. Felt pretty much the same as yesterday.

Physio said that I should be back competing hopefully in 2-3 weeks. 2 weeks time is probably ambitious and as there is a 400m that day, I'm not sure if it would be good to start off again with that event. In 3 weeks time I hope to be back competing, and attempt just the 800m to ease myself back in, and as my PB is relatively soft (2:31.10) it would give a good opportunity to get a PB and rebuild the confidence. Running a 400m in 2 weeks time may not have the same effect as I know I wont get within an asses roar of 60.90. Either way I wont be competing until I feel I am ready and can do myself justice.

I really am crocked because of the farm work. He said not only are my back muscles giving bother but also my hip flexor muscles, and muscles that connect my hip to my ass (whatever these muscles are called, my knowledge of this stuff is limited).

One thing though that is annoying is the fact that my physio is only in on monday's and friday's. I cant go on friday because I have an interview back in Melbourne, and he's not in next Monday for some reason, so I have to wait 11 days to see him again, or else see another physio in the clinic in the meantime, which isn't ideal when you've been dealing with the one person all the time. So do not know what to do. :(

Exact same session again, but this time I did the 6x100m at 70% pace and so the times were in the 18's rather than 19's, on the dirt and gravel road.

Progress.

Good confidence boosting session today. Did 4x150m reps with 2 minute walk back breaks. Did it on grass in the Carlton Gardens in Melbourne. I did the first 2 at around 70% and the last 2 were approaching 80%. Times were:

25(high) - 25(low) - 23(high) - 23(high)

The basic speed is certainly still there. Just need to build up the endurance again. Tomorrow's meet (meet 5, the 3rd in a row I've missed) is too soon for me, but I could be good for a 100m next weekend for Round 6. Better off doing a 100m next weekend and see where my speed is at and wait until next time for a 400m. There's no real point in running a 63/64 second 400m. I've gone well past that level now and I wouldn't see much benefit in it.

Still far from perfect though. My shins are always mildly uncomfortable, even still, after a few weeks off. And the physio, in making my groin and hip area better, has made my back worse, and has brought mild discomfort to something that was never uncomfortable in the first place. Not happy.

It turns out that Meet 5 was cancelled due to heavy rain in Melbourne. In a purely selfish way I am delighted as it means I didn't miss a track meet :D If it gets rescheduled then it's a huge bonus for me as I'll get back a meet I had written off as a no go. No guarantee it will be rescheduled though, as they are tight for time in the calender.

Did 3x200m on paved road today with 3 mins walk back rest between each rep. Was just finding my feet a bit for the first one, and then did the next 2 at around 75%. Times were:

36(high) - 35(low) - 34(high)

Satisfied I suppose. Just left it at 3 reps today as it was my first 200 reps since the injury. On Wednesday I'll do 4x200, and then fingers crossed I'll be good for a 100m on Saturday.

• Advertisement

4x200m with 3 mins walk back rest.

Did them at about 85%. First one a bit easier.

Times were:

35(mid) - 34(high) - 33(high) - 33(mid)

It was my first full session since my injury so have to be satisfied, but:

1) I am a bit off where I was before the injury in terms of endurance
    2) My left shin just keeps pissing me off in between reps when walking back. There's nothing like an injury scare to take your mind off an injury eh :rolleyes: I think I just have chronic shin splints. I went 6 months without running and when I would push into my shins I would still feel discomfort. It's awfully frustrating. Once I get settled back in Melbourne I will begin a heat and freeze method of keeping them in tact. I did that for my marathon last year. I'd heat with a heat pack before I ran, and freeze immediately after. The shins splints never got worse once I started doing that.

That's my last ever session in the Australian countryside :D I move back to Melbourne for good on Friday evening, and all this farm torture will be over for good :)

Physio visit on Friday. I think I should be good for a 100m on Saturday. Hopefully he agrees.

So after missing meets 3,4 and with 5 being cancelled (which I would have missed anyway) I got back into competition for the first time in 5 weeks. Usually I would do a 100m and a 400m but I felt it was too soon to be going back into 400m races so I opted out of it.

100m

There was 7 in my heat. I got out of the blocks ok. I felt I struggled a bit from 40m-70m, but finished strong to finish in 4th place and hold off my coach by 0.2 seconds. My time was 13.4 seconds, which equals my best for the year so far, so after being out for so long I have to be pleased with that. It honestly didn't feel quite that quick, but there was a slight tailwind there, and it was hand timed, but whatever, I'll take the time that they have given me.

1500m

A rare appearance in something over 800m. With the 400m being a no go, I didn't want to have come all the way out to the track, warmed up and warmed down, for just 13 and a half seconds of competitive running, so I decided I would do the 1500m which was soon after the 100m. Originally I planned to do it as a warm down and just cruise around at 8 minute mile pace. So I went in the very last, and slowest heat. There was 23 of us in it. As it turned out I felt very very comfortable running at about 80%, and came through the first lap in just over 90 seconds, so just kept cruising along at that pace, picking a few people off as I went along. I upped the effort to about 90% for the last 400m and closed in around 84 seconds (but cant be certain), and with 300m to go darted past one poor bast@rd who was in front of me by about 10m all race. I ended up taking about 5 seconds out of him. Finished 10th in 5:41.9, which is 26 seconds off my PB from back in 2003 at the West Leinsters in Santry. Be interesting to know how close I would have got to it had I gone full throttle. I enjoyed the race though, which is evidence that I was feeling comfortable, because when you are going all out then 1500m are not fun at all! Most importantly it was a good test of endurance and I was pleased with it.

I feel fine today. Muscles a bit stiff, but nothing alarming so far. Onwards and upwards to next weekend now and hopefully a sub 2:30 800m.

First session since Saturday's meet. Felt a bit flat. Did 3x300 reps with 4 mins break, on the Tan in Melbourne. The first one of these sessions I have done post injury.

Times were:

54(mid) - 55(low) - 56(mid)

Times were a bit slow but in my defence:

1) The Tan is a very gravelly track which really isn't suited to sprinting. Hard to get much grip.

2) The Tan is full of joggers, both coming towards you, and in front of you, so had to run a bit wide at times to get past people

Was going close to full out and felt drained afterwards. Don't know why I was so shattered but happy to get the session done anyway.

Been a long while since I did a hill session so I took myself out to The Tan today and did a 5x75m session on a very steep hill by The Tan, with 2 minute break between each rep. Was going close to all out and my times were:

17(mid) - 16(high) - 16(mid) - 16(mid) - 17(mid)

It seems now (touch wood) that the injury is behind me. :)

2nd Year Visa has been granted! :):):D:D

Will be in Melbourne until December 2012 at the earliest! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

2nd Year Visa has been granted! :):):D:D

Will be in Melbourne until December 2012 at the earliest! :)

Nice one, all going well you'll be a sub-60 sec quarter-miler by the time your finished with Oz. Good luck with the rest of your meets/training.

‎2:27.9 for 800 metres today, a PB by 3.2 seconds. Very pleased. Delighted now that I skipped the 200 to focus solely on the 800. Finished 3rd out of 10 in my race. Got pipped for 2nd place in the last 10 metres sadly. Now this evening is the Richmond Harriers AC Christmas dinner. Feels absolutely nothing like Christmas here mind you.

Race report to follow.

Today was all about the 800m. With the next race being in just 5 days time and with it being a big one (400m in the brand new stadium at Albert Park) I decided it would be a good idea not to bollox myself out. So I decided to skip the 200m and focus solely on teh 800m. My 200m PB is weaker than it should be at 27.6 but that can wait for another day.

800m

I went in the 2nd last heat. There were 10 in the race. The gun went off and by the time we broke into lane 1 after 100m, I was in the lead, much to my own surprise. Not for long though, as a club mate took over the lead, in a rather suicidal pace (for his current abilities). He went through 200m in around high 33, with myself tucked behind him in 2nd place in around 35 seconds. I overheard one of the old guys in our club telling us to settle the pace down, to which I obliged. The order didn't change and at 400m, he kept the lead in 71 seconds, with myself hitting the bell in 72.

I felt good though, and knew that if I was running well that this guy would not beat me. At 300m to go, the wheels came off him and I stormed past to momentarily take the lead. But just for 5 metres or so, as all of a sudden one lad came flying past me, and he eventually cruised to victory. Crossed the 600 mark in around 1:50. I kept hold of 2nd place, and it seemed like I was under no threat. One glance behind me with 100 to go and there was nobody in sight. I pushed as hard as I could. The lactic acid started kicking in with 150 to go and I briefly struggled but kicked hard in the home straight. However, a different clubmate of mine, came from absolutely nowhere (about 15 metres back apparantly) to come past me in the closing stages. I ralied briefly, and for a moment it felt like Szabo V Sonia in Sydney, but I just couldnt get him back and he pulled away to beat me by a few tenths.

I finished 3rd in 2:27.9, which is a PB by 3.2 seconds. A big result, one which I am delighted with. Good to get under 2:30 at last, but to go well under it is encouraging. For the record, my club mate who very kindly paced me through the first 500m ended up fading dreadfully to a 2:35 (71, 84 splits).

Club Christmas dinner

This evening we had our Christmas dinner. Highlight of the night was winning a big prize in the raffle. 2 bottles of wine, along with loads of sweets and biscuits and stuff. Being honest though, I found the night dreadfully boring. Obviously my main reason for joining an athletics club was the love of the sport, but I also wanted to meet people my age through it, but this hasnt really worked out. Most of the people in the club are either married, in their 40s-50s and beyond, or are kids. There are very few my age, and even less that are any craic. There is very little social aspect to the whole thing sadly. No nights out are ever arranged among the young people. We compete against 6-7 clubs each week and we never have anything with these clubs outside of athletics. It is incredibly disappointing, but it doesnt seem people are too bothered. It certainly is in stark contrast to the banter in the Irish bar in Rotterdam after I ran the marathon in 2010. I'm sure the boards christmas beers will be immense craic. That's the type of thing I miss. Just because people run to a high level doesnt mean they cant go on the piss from time to time.

First session after Saturday's 800m PB. Went for 5x150m on the Tan with 2:30 mins break between each. Did the first 2 at about 80%. Brought it up to over 90% for the next 2, and then eased back for the last one. Times a bit irrelevant given the fact the surface on the Tan is not good for sprinting but my times in any case were:

27(high) - 27(mid) - 26(low) - 25(mid) - 26(mid)

Will do a 3x300 session tomorrow. Rest on Wednesday and hopefully be ready for a good assault at the 400m on Thursday evening in the new Lakeside Stadium at Albert Park.

• Advertisement

Also, while not quite training related, here's a blog I wrote about the last few months of my life, working on the farms in rural Victoria for anybody who is interested.

http://jamessullivan4.blogspot.com/2011/12/farm-work-in-broadford-and-glenrowan.html

Advertisement