Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healy Eames

Options
  • 07-01-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I just got her propaganda in the door. she is running in the next election, but I know precious little about her. has she done anything for the people of Galway in the last few years?

she seems to use the word 'I' a lot in her pamphlet, instead 'we' .is fidelma in love with Fidelma?

does she really care about Galway or just herself?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Shes loves everything that is good and is against anything that is bad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Another careerist whose days are spent thinking aloud in the pages of the Advo, who in turn make the situation worse by not even bothering to correct the grammar and punctuation errors in the press release. Snubbleste has it bang on.

"Slam" this, "call for" that, "blast" the other but never actually get anything accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

http://www.fidelmahealyeames.ie/about/

Does anyone know whether she ever taught full-time in a primary school and whether the bit of lecturing she did in the past was full-time or merely decoration for her CV?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I know an education expert who long had a dim view of FHR and her interminable self publicising antics and then they heard her speak up from the floor at some event on education matters and were very very impressed with the contribution ...this person is not easily impressed. Looking at her twitter page induces a long drawn out sigh from me.

However while all of this does not mean she is fit to run a country I will say that she is certainly fitter than Crowe or Fahey :)

As ever in Galway West it is ALWAYS easier to start with the lowest preference for the worst candidate and to gradually work ones way up to the least objectionable.

FG, to me, look like getting one seat only in Galway West based on their 3 candidate strategy . I have no idea which one of Walsh or Healy Eames it will be, absolutely none!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Christ she is a royal pain in the hole. She loves herself and thinks we all need to know her opinion on the smallest most insignificant occurance to happen this week. Every frickin week she has a piece condeming, congratulating, blasting, endorsing something or other in the Galway Indo or Advertiser. Its always completely pointless, ink wasting, self serving, grade 1 bollox too.

A bear sh1ts in the woods on Saturday, article appears in above mouthpieces "news"papers with a screaming headline "HEALY EAMES CONDEMNS ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE CAUSED TO WOODS BY ANTI SOCIAL BEARS" and an article appears of utter guff about underage bears drinking in the woods, the youth of today, gov minister is sh1te, I am great, won't somebody think of the children etc etc etc.....

I hope to God she turns up on my doorstep looking for votes. In exactly the same way as I am waiting for FF/Greens too. As Mr Burns says "release the hounds"......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I asked my aunt who is a principal and she said she would rather vote for Bosco. FHE was not teaching long, not long enough to see the real world anyway and whoever spotted her obsession with herself is bang on the buck. No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Robbo wrote: »
    Another careerist whose days are spent thinking aloud in the pages of the Advo, who in turn make the situation worse by not even bothering to correct the grammar and punctuation errors in the press release. Snubbleste has it bang on.

"Slam" this, "call for" that, "blast" the other but never actually get anything accomplished.

+1, In fairness she loves herself as much as any other politician.
    Her gombeenism embarrasses herself on twitter on a regular basis.

http://twitter.com/senhealyeames

tumblr_ledd5bHWRj1qfw98uo1_500.jpg

fdh1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

She earns €65,000 as a senator plus claimed €48,313 in expenses for the year ended 1 November 2010.
    Cushy number with lots of time to prepare media releases. You have to admire the fact that she does get her name out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think I'm going to go with the strategy of voting for the candidate who doesn't shove spam through my letterbox, send people around to talk to me, or stick stupid posters up on all the lamp-posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I'll echo what Fozzie Bear said to the letter.
    @ Ficheall - You have a good idea. Sit down and think who did what for me. You might have read about it or heard them on the radio but you know the job was done.
    In all fairness the likes of O'Cuiv, P McCormack & Grealish got the job done without having to be in the paper or on the radio half the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

She taught my brother briefly about 12 years ago in a county Galway primary school. Think she was covering maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

she seems interested in education and according to her pamphlet she is the FG spokesperson for Education. I wonder does she speak Gaeilge, the language of some of her constituents and a handy language to know when talking about education.

from what I can gather she is not a team player within FG and more interested in number 1

Christ she is a royal pain in the hole. She loves herself and thinks we all need to know her opinion on the smallest most insignificant occurance to happen this week. Every frickin week she has a piece condeming, congratulating, blasting, endorsing something or other in the Galway Indo or Advertiser. Its always completely pointless, ink wasting, self serving, grade 1 bollox too.

A bear sh1ts in the woods on Saturday, article appears in above mouthpieces "news"papers with a screaming headline "HEALY EAMES CONDEMNS ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE CAUSED TO WOODS BY ANTI SOCIAL BEARS" and an article appears of utter guff about underage bears drinking in the woods, the youth of today, gov minister is sh1te, I am great, won't somebody think of the children etc etc etc.....

I hope to God she turns up on my doorstep looking for votes. In exactly the same way as I am waiting for FF/Greens too. As Mr Burns says "release the hounds"......

so she is more of a talker than a doer?

her slogans appear corny. the pamphlet I have just received has the following slogan

"Enabling you to be all that you're capable off"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fuinseog wrote: »
    her slogans appear corny. the pamphlet I have just received has the following slogan

"Enabling you to be all that you're capable off"

Sounds like some scientology shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I had no opinion of her until I read this stuff today.

I won't be voting for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

A bear sh1ts in the woods on Saturday, article appears in above mouthpieces "news"papers with a screaming headline "HEALY EAMES CONDEMNS ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE CAUSED TO WOODS BY ANTI SOCIAL BEARS"

Just 'cos ya were nabbed..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I had no opinion of her until I read this stuff today.

I won't be voting for her.

Can i add, i don't see any potential candiate worth voting for.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

galwayrush wrote: »
    Can i add, i don't see any potential candiate worth voting for.:mad:

I just changed my name to "An Sponge" by deed poll to get the top of the ballot paper, do please try to fill the first line on the day :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

Robbo wrote: »

She used to be an English lecturer in Mary Immaculate College. She taught teachers how to teach English. Therefore, overlooking these errors would suggest that she may not take either her current or past role seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

http://www.fidelmahealyeames.ie/about/

Does anyone know whether she ever taught full-time in a primary school and whether the bit of lecturing she did in the past was full-time or merely decoration for her CV?

She lectured in Mary Immaculate College while I was there. I would imagine it was full-time or nearly full-time for 2-3 years (including some paternal leave). She didn't teach at primary level for very long at all as far as I've heard - short-term/temporary work as far as I've heard etc. Most of her experience at primary level seemed to be as part of her postgrad work. Her husband went to America and she went with him and did a PhD over there in English literature or something of that sort.

She was not very inspiring and I was not surprised when I heard that she had not spent much time teaching when I got out into the real world. We were under the impression that she had taught in troubled communities for a long time. However, I think she covered maternity leave positions and did substitution work mostly during her teaching career from what I've heard. That was before there was a lack of teaching jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Caitlinn

Fuinseog wrote: »

does she really care about Galway or just herself?

Having read her pamphlet, I wouldn't say she cares any more or less about Galwegians than her opponents ... make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

There is also her spelling of Connameara in her twit above.

Her husband also ran in the last local elections in Oranmore but didn't get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ronanduffy

I know Fidelma, she's a neighbour of mine. As a friend I hope she gets elected, and I think she will, as she's bright, focussed and policy driven. Our electoral system requires any candidate to play the old game to some extent in order to get elected in the first place, and it can indeed stick in the craw.

For what it’s worth, she taught for 15.5 years, 11 years of that as a permanently appointed primary teacher, the rest as a College lecturer in Mary Immaculate College Limerick and OU. She never covered a maternity leave as she was in a permanent post. She worked c.3 years in in-service education, and was self employed for c6 years. She got a PH.D. from NUIG in 1999 (Masters of Science (Ed)).
    She has published and co-authored on subjects such as literacy, children's writing, dyslexia, early school leaving, health promotion.
    How do I know these things? I asked her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ronanduffy

I know Fidelma, she's a neighbour of mine. As a friend I hope she gets elected, and I think she will, as she's bright, focussed and policy driven. our electoral system requires any candidate to play the old game to some extent in order to get elected in the first place.

For what it’s worth, she taught for 15.5 years, 11 years of that as a permanently appointed primary teacher, the rest as a College lecturer in Mary Immaculate college Limerick and OU. She never covered a maternity leave since she was in a permanent post. She worked c.3 years in in-service education, and was self employed for c6 years. She got a PH.D. from NUIG in 1999 (Masters of Science (Ed)). She has published and co-authored on subjects such as literacy, children's writing, dyslexia, early school leaving, health promotion.

How do I know this? I asked her!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I just changed my name to "An Sponge" by deed poll to get the top of the ballot paper, do please try to fill the first line on the day :cool:

is she Eames Healy on the ballot paper?

by the way, when she says she works hard locally does that mean actually doing things or just giving statements to the local press? is she hands on or hot air?

ronanduffy wrote: »
    I know Fidelma, she's a neighbour of mine. As a friend I hope she gets elected, and I think she will, as she's bright, focussed and policy driven. our electoral system requires any candidate to play the old game to some extent in order to get elected in the first place.

For what it’s worth, she taught for 15.5 years, 11 years of that as a permanently appointed primary teacher, the rest as a College lecturer in Mary Immaculate college Limerick and OU. She never covered a maternity leave since she was in a permanent post. She worked c.3 years in in-service education, and was self employed for c6 years. She got a PH.D. from NUIG in 1999 (Masters of Science (Ed)). She has published and co-authored on subjects such as literacy, children's writing, dyslexia, early school leaving, health promotion.

the phd thing is interesting.its nice to have a politician who can read and write, but why does she not refer to herself as Doctor Healy Eames? most politicians with that title would, unless of course it were an honorary title.
    oh wait you appear to confuse phd with masters, not quite the same.

I must read up on her publications and see how practical or impractical her suggestions and findings are.

as you seem to know her, perhaps you can answer the question of whether of not she can speak Gaeilge, or maybe I should just ring her up and chat away to her as Gaeilge and see.

Galway West the cultural and Bilingual Capital of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

sgthighway wrote: »
    Sit down and think who did what for me.

That is the attitude that got us into this mess.

Think not what they can do for you but what they will do for your Country.

Apologies to JFK

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

sgthighway wrote: »
    I'll echo what Fozzie Bear said to the letter.
    @ Ficheall - You have a good idea. Sit down and think who did what for me. You might have read about it or heard them on the radio but you know the job was done.
    In all fairness the likes of O'Cuiv, P McCormack & Grealish got the job done without having to be in the paper or on the radio half the time.

What job did they get done? 2 were members of the PD/FF coalition that got the country into the current mess, the other is chairman of a fairly ineffectual opposition party. I got a leaflet from McCormick a few months back, apart from a few platitudes relating to policy it was mostly a list a schemes etc. He could help me avail of. Either I’m entitled to avail of these schemes or I’m not, I don’t need his help. I can see there’s a role for someone to help people understand and avail of their entitlements but the Dail is the national parliament we should elect people to formulate policy, legislate and provide oversight not to act as social workers.
    The biggest things effecting my life are not new traffic lights for Carnmore cross (Noel Grealish come on down!). Its my shrinking take home pay, decline in public services, increase work load in my job due to cuts and increasing numbers of friends and relations out of work or emigrating. All of the sitting TDs pretty much support the consensus that led to this.
    As for Grealish’s recent break with the Govt. over health cuts. Does he think we’re stupid? He’s supported the government for nearly ten years, does he think the recent cuts are an isolated incident? They are the product of mismanagement of the health service and economy over many years. His former party leader was instrumental in both. I spent a night on a trolley in A+E early last year back when Grealish still supported the Govt. There were elderly people on trolleys next to me, also a few drunks wandering round. If TDs want to claim credit for anything, they should be held responsible for that.
    This is a national election, the sooner we start electing people for they and their parties national policies and not their ability to fill in forms the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

ronanduffy wrote: »

Hi Fidelma! Welcome to boards! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement