Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how do you order sky "card only"

• 07-01-2011 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

ive been thinking about doing this for ages. i have a pc setup and just want to add the sky card in to get additional channels.
    my setup qould require the card being installed in a dreambox, rather than a sky box.

can anyone tell me exactly how i would go about getting this in place?
    do i just swap the viewing card from the sky box over? is there a simpler way etc...

and, i suppose as a side question, i have a minidish pointed at astra, would there be an alternative subscription i can go for? i see lots of people with german/al jazeera subs, is this viable for my setup (maybe some small additonal outlay that would offset the subscription cost...)

thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Not for discussion here, expect this thread to be locked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

seriously? theres a wholesub forum dedicated to foreign cards. everyone is using non sky boxes.
    what is wrong with the post, there is nothing in that breaks the charter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭montgolfiere

sky FTV cards are only available to a UK address.
    The Skyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

It is possible to get a Sky card without a box. I think it's called a third party contract. If you contact Sky I am sure they will send you out the form.

I don't see how this thread will be locked if subway wants to acquire a Sky card legally.

not looking for a sky ftv card. i'm looking to purchase a sky subscription and use it with a non sky box. is there an easy way to do that (and any specific way to about it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Sky subscription cards only work in Sky boxes. The CAM that Sky uses is proprietary and not officially available in software form. I would imagine discussing ways around this would almost certainly be against the forum charter.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It is possible to get a Sky card without a box. I think it's called a third party contract. If you contact Sky I am sure they will send you out the form.

I don't see how this thread will be locked if subway wants to acquire a Sky card legally.
    thanks for the reply. do you know if its difficult or more expensive to order one of these?
    looking at sky site there is a requirement to have it hooked up to a phone line when using a sky box, is this the same on a 3rd party box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have no idea how it would work on a non Sky box but you can certainly get a subscription without signing up for their hardware.

cheers, just want to clear up a number of these things before moving forward and subbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

subway wrote: »
    cheers, just want to clear up a number of these things before moving forward and subbing.
    You'd probably be better off getting a Sky box off Sky ,you will need to activate the card using a Sky box,a Dreambox or third part receiver will not be able to activate it.
    You will also need the Sky box serial number if you want to watch Premium channels on your Dreambox (Sports/Movies) ,as the card is paired to the box and you will need that pairing info.
    Once you have the card activated and paired the Dreambox will update the entitlements just like a Sky box,although I still think its better to update the card in the Sky box every month or so.
    The box does not need to be connected to a phone line .

The advantages of using the Dreambox are many ,you can customise the epg to show only what channels you want,you can put them in the order you wish ,ITV1-4 ,Five,BBC3,BBC4 are no longer hidden away,you can watch UK versions of Ch4 with no blocked programming .I couldnt go back to the Sky epg ,its awful.

• Advertisement

thanks Zardoz, that helps a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just get a cheap second hand sky box and order a "second hand " contract. Activate card in sky box and then use in your other rxr.

Advertisement