Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surmontil ?

Options
  • 07-01-2011 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Ive being prescribed surmontil having being on valdoxan for 2 weeks which i found useless it made me very lethargic and i found it uncomfotable on the stomach, i still have bad insomnia, anxiety , palpitations, im not really depressed but i know these drugs have other use's i was wondering has anyone experience with this drug and what is it like

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Ive being prescribed surmontil having being on valdoxan for 2 weeks which i found useless it made me very lethargic and i found it uncomfotable on the stomach, i still have bad insomnia, anxiety , palpitations, im not really depressed but i know these drugs have other use's i was wondering has anyone experience with this drug and what is it like
    I took it to help with sleep problems (difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep) associated with my ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Post-Viral Fatigue Syndrome.

It was very useful for this.
    I think it may have also helped with some other symptoms I had as part of my ME/CFS/PVFS (muscle pain, bowel pain and TMJ pain).
    I was still very disabled but it improved my quality of life.

The first 6 weeks on a tricyclic antidepressant* are known to be the worst in terms of side effects. It depends how bad people's symptoms are in terms of what they are willing to put up with in terms of side effects. One will probably still be left with some lethargy after the initial period (but not as bad) but for me it was worth it in terms of improving my sleep, etc.

I was on 50mg for a few years which gave me 9-10 hours sleep. I reduced it to 10mg which gave me around 7 hours sleep. However they then took the 10mg version off the market so I switched to amitriptyline which is available in 10mg doses.

* Surmontil is a tricyclic antidepressant. Don't know what Valdoxan is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

kangaroo wrote: »
    I took it to help with sleep problems (difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep) associated with my ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Post-Viral Fatigue Syndrome.

It was very useful for this.
    I think it may have also helped with some other symptoms I had as part of my ME/CFS/PVFS (muscle pain, bowel pain and TMJ pain).
    I was still very disabled but it improved my quality of life.

The first 6 weeks on a tricyclic antidepressant* are known to be the worst in terms of side effects. It depends how bad people's symptoms are in terms of what they are willing to put up with in terms of side effects. One will probably still be left with some lethargy after the initial period (but not as bad) but for me it was worth it in terms of improving my sleep, etc.

I was on 50mg for a few years which gave me 9-10 hours sleep. I reduced it to 10mg which gave me around 7 hours sleep. However they then took the 10mg version off the market so I switched to amitriptyline which is available in 10mg doses.

* Surmontil is a tricyclic antidepressant. Don't know what Valdoxan is.

So after about 3 or 4 weeks i should see some improvement, so stick with it for at least that long ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

luckyfrank wrote: »
    So after about 3 or 4 weeks i should see some improvement, so stick with it for at least that long ?

frank, you really need to be talking about this with your doctor, not taking advice off someone from the internet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement