Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Wiring a double socket

Options
  • 07-01-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    I've wired up sockets before with the usual wiring standards (brown, blue, green/yellow) with no problem but in my current house, I have removed a panel under the boiler in the kitchen to wire a double socket but I'm not familiar with the colour coding on the wires.
    I've googled this but I want to be exactly sure of what I'm doing before I start.
    In the pics attached, on the outlet on the right, there are black / grey wires which go into a connector block and two loose brown wires. The metal gang is earthed but I'll be replacing this for the double socket.
    The boiler fuse is the outlet on the left and there are many neutral wires connected to it.
    My confusion lies with not being able to find a blue (Neutral) wire for the sockets on the right hand side AND the black and grey wires. I have never wired up a socket before that had this black / greycolour coding.
    When I unscrew any other double sockets in the house, they all conform to brown/blue, green/yellow colour coding.
    Is is possible to wire up a double socket here without having to run off the boiler fuse wiring (blue/brown, green/yellow). Ideally I'd like to fit a double socket on the right hand side so it sits flush.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    thanks

pic1c.jpg

pic2rm.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

The problem lies here:

You have a 5 core cable and thats where the spare grey and black are coming from:
    The brown/brown is a twin brown which should be used as a strapper for 2 way switching of lighting circuits.

Without knowing wat is connected at the other end of each cable, it is difficult to give you advise on what the options are to you.

I'm sure it would be possible to get a live and neutral for a socket from what you have but whether you will be able to follow the regs or not are doubtful.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Looks to me like those cables in the right hand box are to do with the heating also, or else were intended to be and then became surplus to requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I would guess the right hand box was for a timer, but there may be one built into the boiler hence it's not used.

Back to the op's problem, do you know what breaker is feeding the heating? Do you know what cable is feeding the spur (1.5 or 2.5) Is it on the rcd?

If there's 2.5 feeding the heating spur, you might be able to move the braked onto the rcd ( if not already on it) and loop a socket off the same feed.

To be honest it's a good bit of messing, probably easier to tap off the nearest socket circuit, provided it can take the load....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

That seems to be a 1.5 feeding the spur which is not right size cable to wire sockets. Find somewhere else to spur off

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Looks like twin brown 1.5 alright used for strappers in two way lighting or a drop to a switch from a three plate ceiling rose and not suitable for a socket circuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The right hand side, I would think that the black, grey are for a timer for the boiler. Was this originally a single socket or an on/off switch for the boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Eire2008

Thanks for all the comments and advice. There is a timer on the boiler and originally there was nothing wired up on the right (new build). I'm gonna leave this alone cos I have entered unknown electrical territory. I might get this looked at professionally down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Eire2008 wrote: »
    I'm gonna leave this alone cos I have entered unknown electrical territory. I might get this looked at professionally down the line.

+1 Good plan. Safety first at all times!

Advertisement