Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAJOR upgrade

Options
  • 07-01-2011 1:59pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads, been a while since I was in the mouse market (my trusty G5 has been by my side for year :D)

What mice do you recommend these days? I've seen some horrible stuff online but not sure what would suitable for my needs. I rarely play MMOs and it's mostly twitch movement firing I need, so a high DPI is probably needed.

Ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

I got myself a R.A.T 7 for xmas, easilly the best mouse ive ever used. So far my accuracy on the famas has gone from 27.9% to 32.4% in black ops (Don't hate :( )

Its the only mouse ive ever had that perfectly fits my hand, this is due to the incerdible customization and posisitioning. Some people have been complaining about the Phillips twin eye 5600DPI sensor used in the mouse, i guess this got fixed in the new revision as i don't have any of the issues.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dear lord that's R2D2 mashed into a mouse. Looks unreal. Hows the software that comes with it?

Much nicer then the crappy software i had with my Razer Imperator. They even have game profiles you can download too, not my cup-o-tea to be honest but horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I really feel the dpi/refresh thing is no way to choose to a mouse. Its based on the size and feel of the mouse coupled with your own confidence in it.

I mean some of the best aimers in the world swear by the old MS optical (1.0a I think it is)

For me my track aim is improved with a larger 'more solid' mouse but it has to be lightweight. However my flick aim is better with a smaller, but still light, mouse on a felt mat that provides lightish to medium friction.

I think figuring out what suits you most.. then choosing a mouse based on that.. probably works out best

ps I've spent over 10 years going to lans etc probably played on two dozen different mice over that time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well I personally use the DPI profile settings on my G5 for different games, EG have a higher DPI for COD games, lower for source, and lower for strategy games.

I have noticed major differences for COD games jumping from 2000DPI to 5400DPI. Then again I normally have the COD config files completely reworked for better precision and reg

EDIT: Not to say I disagree with you jonny7. Of course feel and comfort is very important, I just tend to look for 4 essentials when I buy a mouse

Comfort, size, DPI, software

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ryan, any chance komplett have that mouse?

Afraid not buddy :/ I've been trying to get them in for ages. Had to spend 140quid to get it from the UK which really hurt but it was well worth it. Seriously, i can not tell you how good this mouse is Ive a load of old mice here, pretty much all the razer ones, all the microsoft gaming ones the G5, g700, mx518 and the R.A.T 7 is by far the best mouse ive ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

och none taken

think i am very oldschool at this stage, sure we used to rip off the bottoms of them and glue in ballbearings, then spend hours applying micro changes to the decimal sensitivities in the game.. my friend had a sens of 1.975 at one stage with different values for pitch and yaw.. meh was probably all in our heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

using a rush fireglider, and its affecting me lately. granted it goes to 3000 dpi, but its not comfortable enough.

€140 quid is too much for me for a mouse, but the R.A.T just looks so worth it.

You can get the R.A.T 5 which is pretty much the same thing with less customization.

• Advertisement

You can get the R.A.T 5 which is pretty much the same thing with less customization.

Less customization in the form of Hardware/Software?

The hardware inside them is all the same, and the software is the same. The only difference is there is less customization in the thumb and pinkie grip, along with the palm rest and weight options. Its still a nice mouse though.

This is the R.A.T 5

rat5_left.png

And this is the R.A.T 7

474136-500-410.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Just dropped my Roccat Kone this evening and broke the mouse wheel :( I loved that mouse so much..... Think I will upgrade to the Kone +. Don't seem to be on Komplett, nearly sure that's where I got the Kone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Logitech G9 / G9x is best :D . I've had it since release and i like the 2 optional grips you get with it. I personally prefer it with the cover off and also seems to be very close shape to the R.A.T.

There ain't many mice shaped like the G5, but you can get used to any once it has a decent shape and suits your grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

My Razor Lachesis been a gem from day 1 with zero problems and its great for those left handed freaks as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Venom wrote: »
    My Razor Lachesis been a gem from day 1 with zero problems and its great for those left handed freaks as well :)

*Ahem* Any lefty who uses a mouse with the right hand is a f*cking traitor :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've been using a mx518 for about 6 years now, got a 2nd one incase the primary one ever packs up.... Couldn't imagine using anything different :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

*Ahem* Any lefty who uses a mouse with the right hand is a f*cking traitor :p

What about the reverse? A charlatan?
    I've been using a mx518 for about 6 years now, got a 2nd one incase the primary one ever packs up.... Couldn't imagine using anything different :)

Mine only lasted a year and then I discovered that they generally have very short lives. :( Then again, I seem to destroy mice fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Monotype wrote: »
    What about the reverse? A charlatan?

They're traitors too, but they're welcome here on the dark side :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Monotype wrote: »
    Mine only lasted a year and then I discovered that they generally have very short lives. :( Then again, I seem to destroy mice fairly quickly.

Jesus. Someone have a bit of a temper? :pac: *SMASH MOUSE* *RAGEQUIT*

Anything recommended in the 50-80 euro mark then?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Just found the RAT9 at 125 euro, RAT7 at 94 euro, RAT 3 for 49 euro and the RAT5 for 70 on Pixmania :D

Advertisement