Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayaking Laune River in Kerry

• 07-01-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, myself and a couple of the lads own sea kayaks and for a change are planning to kayak down the Laune from the Lakes to the mouth past Killorglin - I know its only a Grade river but is there any dangers/weirs we should be aware of, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

You probably know if you're entering on Lough Lein you need a permit and also need your kayaks washed of potential zebra mussels.

Apart from the occasional overhanging tree; the main hazard to watch is the rapid at Beaufort Bridge, where you don't want your kayak to broach sidewards against the bridge pillars and you don't want to capsize part-way down this rapid either as it's very shallow.

If the Laune is in flood it's a lot more dangerous, with one submerged barbed wire fence, but in normal conditions it's a great paddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I havent done the full course, but from maybe 5 miles above killorglin down tot the mouth theres nothing more than tiny rapids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mktralee

Thanks lads, i've been asking around aswell, course seems safe enough, heard that the Beaufort Bridge is the only hairy bit in flood but a little bit of excitement will do no harm at all !! Looking forward to it now.
    Don't have a permit Nathan, but will call into the rangers for it, thanks. As for the mussels I havent taken the kayaks up to Lough Derg or anywhere outside Tralee bay but will give them a powerwash anyway.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 45 seanieb

Hi, It sounds like ye know the river pretty well. If ye have a minute could one of ye start a river guide here.
    http://www.irishwhitewater.com/river_submit/

Thanks.

Advertisement