Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving World Cup - to suit Qatar climate

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Warper wrote: »
    Since it is on in Qatar they had no choice but to move the time of the WC. It is simply too hot in the summer. So what if Leagues are disrupted for a month or 2, no big deal.

It is a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Frisbee wrote: »
    No they won't, players will be away from their clubs for almost two months.

3 weeks before for friendlies/training camps.
    4 weeks of the tournament.

And that's not including any post-WC breaks.

Show me one of the top leagues in Europe that takes a two month break in winter.

Plus as you've said the other leagues (Asia, S. America etc) have to do it every four years. Exactly, so they're used to it and can set out their fixtures accordingly. You'll be changing everyone by doing it.

N. Hemisphere - Effecting their leagues.
    S. Hemisphere - Effecting their summer breaks.

Whereas if you leave the WC in June you're only effecting one party.

Russia. Sweden. Poland. Norway. Ukraine. Switzerland. Finland. Scotland from 2014.

So what you are in effect saying is that them foreigners can be inconvienienced, leave my English football alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Russia. Sweden. Poland. Norway. Ukraine. Switzerland. Finland. Scotland from 2014.

So what you are in effect saying is that them foreigners can be inconvienienced, leave my English football alone.

Lol, I'm not talking about English football, you are.

I mention the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga. You're fixation on the EPL is baffling.

Also I asked you to name top European Leagues that take a two month break. Of those you named the only one who could be considered one of Europe's top leagues is Russia.

The top leagues is where the top players play. The top players is what brings in the money and fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

JPA wrote: »
    It is a big deal.

Only if you make it one. There is no big deal when the Asian Cup or ANC is on, teams know what is happening and get on with it. Why not let the leagues continue during the WC. If they come out in time and say there will be no disruptions to the League during the WC, teams will have no excuse whinging about players gone on international duty. They will have time to cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's a disgusting idea that proves Qatar bought their votes. FIFA knew this would be a problem at the time but didn't care as long as they had Qatar's money in their pockets.

Thankfully, the Champions League clubs won't allow FIFA to get away with hosting the World Cup outside of the summer and therefore FIFA have a problem.

The likes of Sepp Blatter and Jack Warner are pure vermin and have gained power through corruption and greed.

Scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Only if you make it one. There is no big deal when the Asian Cup or ANC is on, teams know what is happening and get on with it. Why not let the leagues continue during the WC. If they come out in time and say there will be no disruptions to the League during the WC, teams will have no excuse whinging about players gone on international duty. They will have time to cover.

Continue the leagues while the WC is on? That'll happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

UEFA?

If you are going to throw wild allegations around, at least get the name of the organisation you are calling corrupt right
    Whatever.Uefa,Fifa, its just a name. Look at the bigger picture. Playing the WC in a desert = bribes from qatar which were gleefully accepted.The way money influences the game today is sickening.When you see the likes of El hadj djiouf ( a spitting neanderthal scumbag) driving around in chrome-plated cars it makes you wonder.Actually GAA players deserve so much more respect than some of these cowboys.

JPA wrote: »
    Continue the leagues while the WC is on? That'll happen!

Personally I dont really care what they do with the Leagues during the WC. The WC is the biggest and best competition anyways. If it means rescheduling of the League so be it. Aaww the poor players might get a little bit tired playing some extra matches. If its too much for them why cant they just suspend the domestic cup comps for that season and play extra league matches on those weeks. Cancel the Carling Cup, FA Cup, Copa Del Rey, whatever. No great loss anyways for one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Personally I dont really care what they do with the Leagues during the WC. The WC is the biggest and best competition anyways. If it means rescheduling of the League so be it. Aaww the poor players might get a little bit tired playing some extra matches. If its too much for them why cant they just suspend the domestic cup comps for that season and play extra league matches on those weeks. Cancel the Carling Cup, FA Cup, Copa Del Rey, whatever. No great loss anyways for one year.

I suppose its all about perception. But to be fair there have been some woeful WC's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Paully D wrote: »
    It's a disgusting idea that proves Qatar bought their votes. FIFA knew this would be a problem at the time but didn't care as long as they had Qatar's money in their pockets.

Thankfully, the Champions League clubs won't allow FIFA to get away with hosting the World Cup outside of the summer and therefore FIFA have a problem.

The likes of Sepp Blatter and Jack Warner are pure vermin and have gained power through corruption and greed.

Scumbags.
    Exactly.100% spot on.:cool:

listermint wrote: »
    I suppose its all about perception. But to be fair there have been some woeful WC's

I agree but every competition has had some woeful ones. The WC is the most anticipated sporting event in the World and has the highest viewership of any sporting event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Am I completely wrong in thinking the Winter Break in Spain is only 2 weeks? That's not even close to being enough for a WC - you need 10. Unless they're going for an 8 team tournament or something.

Surely Qatar have enough money to cut themselves off from Arabia and sail to a more suitable location...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Qatar should never have been awarded the World Cup. But now that they have been the tournament has to be played at a time that is not a danger to players or supporters. Individual FAs have over 10 years to decide how they are going to manage this. Surely that's enough time to come up with an adequate solution ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'm not wholly against this idea. I have thought for some time that the football calendar needs to be changed so this could be the perfect opportunity. European football is currently using a schedule for the 19th Century in a 21st Century World. There are pros and cons to moving it. One of the reasons (amongst many) for the lower quality of the past few World Cups has been player fatigue. Changing the calendar might solve that.

The bigger problems in changing the calendar will be the long term issues. Will it remain a January tournament? If it had to be switched to June/July again, that would involve another major switch of the calendar.

I think we have to see the proposed method of changing the calendar before judging it.

Edit: The effect on the European Championships etc also is very important. Plus whilst some leagues might not like it, the bigger European Leagues are where the vast majority of players at the World Cup play so they obviously must be considered at all times. Interesting to see what the long term effects of the move would be. Moving it back to a June tournament after 2022 would cause further problems for almost everybody involved

Hardly a suprise.

It's either watch players drop dead in 50C heat in June/July or move to the winter.

Money talks, everyone knows that FIFA are one of the most corrupt orgs around.

If it does happen I'd imagine Europe's leagues will start preparing for it a good few years in advance.

Maybe like this? fcuk knows tbh. I need to get out more

2016 - Season run from late July - April
    2017 - Season run from June - March
    2018 - Season run from May - Feb
    2019 - Season run from April- January
    2020 - Season run from March - December
    2021 - Season run from Feb - November
    2022 - Season run from Jan - October - WC in Jan
    2023 - Season run from April - Jan. Then eventually return to normal after a few years.

Or they could have a massive break in middle of season. That would be just as bad if not worse.

It's gonna make a balls of things either way tbh.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »

2023 - Season run from April - Jan. Then eventually return to normal after a few years.

Or they could have a massive break in middle of season. That would be just as bad if not worse.

Don't forget the Euros and the 2020 world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hardly a suprise.

It's either watch players drop dead in 50C heat in June/July or move to the winter.

Money talks, everyone knows that FIFA are one of the most corrupt orgs around.

If it does happen I'd imagine Europe's leagues will start preparing for it a good few years in advance.

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of (but too lazy to work out:D). This will mess up both World Cups and Euro Championships before and after as well. The whole idea of giving the WC to Qatar may have been a plan by FIFA to increase its hold on the game and to get its sticky fingers more involved in individual FAs. At least **** them off if nothing more siinister

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Don't forget the Euros and the 2020 world cup

They are cancelled.

It was part of the deal :p

No but seriously. A mid season WC is the probable option then I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Another factor you have to think about is the knock on for other sports in countrys.

England/Australia has Rugby league, which shares grounds with football teams, that will be affected.

Also the English cricket season could be affected as a lot of cricket grounds are next to football grounds (Imagine the policing and H/S problems that will bring if the seasons are colliding)

Football TV rights/contracts will be a tough one to sort out, Im sure the way the EPL is going business wise, they will throw their toys out of the pram, Winter is the busiest time for the UK football seasons, Christmas TV rights are some of the biggest for world wide audiences. Im sure Sky will have something to say about this.

Spanish and Italian leagues will over run or have to start in the middle of summer, so in effect you are robbing peter to pay paul.

Quatar should have never been awarded it, Australia should have gotten it, being the sporting nation it is, but like Blatter has stated, having the world cup in winter, opens the door up to all these new countries that can now attend? I fear more brown envelopes being passed around.

If Fifa want all these new non footballing nations getting involved, surely the time has come for the bigger nations to wave goodbye to Fifa and start their own super league up and we can then go back to the good all days of world cup football where we just see the big teams playing each other, rather than having a lot of these smaller countrys coming in and spoiling things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

No, just European football and even some of these already have winter breaks, Germany and Ukraine spring to mind.

yeah, they have 3-4 week winter breaks

the world cup will need players away from their clubs for twice that. and these players used to winter breaks dont get any... you reckon their clubs will be fine with them not only having no winter break, but playing in a competitive tournament instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I really like the idea myself. The World Cup needs freshing up anyway's as it has become stale. Good to see it going to Qatar also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So this is 'heating up' excuse the pun

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29879290
    Influential football figures have backed proposals that could see the Qatar 2022 World Cup clash with the Winter Olympics.
    Talks at Fifa headquarters in Zurich resulted in support for a tournament held in either January and February or November and December.
    No final decision was taken and, in theory, all options remain open.
    Fifa is adamant the tournament cannot take place in June and July because of extreme temperatures in Qatar.
    The month of May could be a compromise, with European clubs and leagues in favour of this particular option, but no clear solution is yet in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

listermint wrote: »
    So this is 'heating up' excuse the pun

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29879290

They should move it to winter so it doesn't clash with the LOI season

It's actually hilarious that this is gonna happen mid season.

What a shambles of an organisation.

Players are more or less out of action for 3 months when the world cup is on-2nd week in May until 2nd/3rd week in August.

So a Jan world cup would probably mean December, January and February off.

Start the season a month early July - November and then resume March - June. Total cluster fcuk

Advertisement