Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Health Insurance

Options
  • 07-01-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

I looked for an existing similar thread but I can't find any so apologies if there are others already here!

Ok, I have VHI First Plan Level 1 plan
    It's a bit much as it is and with the increase now, it's way too much.
    I was thinking anyway of switching to a plan with only hospital cover.
    In a way I don't want to leave VHI because I expect hassel cancelling it.
    I am considering the One Plan Starter or Quinn Essential.
    I can't find any comparison website that has the one plan starter, only the one plan. I just want fairly basic cover, in case i did have to go to hospital. I really don't understand much about it.
    The One plan starter is quite cheap (comparitively) so I'm a bit worried it's a bit useless.
    If anyone could shed any light it would be great. I have tried to work it out myself but I'm just getting more confused. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Are you sure the plan is called "One Plan Starter"? I've checked VHI's website and the Health Insurance Authority's website and neither has such a plan listed. The HIA is usually very good at updating their website, so unless the plan isn't released yet, I think it might be called something else.

EDIT: Never mind, EKRIQ found it. I should have gone to Specsavers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Same here I'm on the First Plan Plus costing €140 per month with my wife(€70 each) now by my reckoning its going to go up to €180per month which is too much for something I never have used.

VHI's cheapest plan is this http://www.vhi.ie/info/lifestages/productDetails.jsp?key=One_Plan_Starter

And this line is the one where the money is Full cover for day care procedures in all public hospitals. as apposed to Full cover for day care procedures in public and private hospitals.

But if the a consultant is willing to do a procedure in a public hospital is this not the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You have 3 options. Deal directly with VHI, deal directly with Quinn and finally, contact a broker for Aviva. People do not think twice about contacting 10 insurers for their car insurance, for this product there are only 3. Get on the blower

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

renew before the end of the month to keep the old premium for another year, gives you time to look up other insurers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

phi3 wrote: »
    I can't find any comparison website that has the one plan starter, only the one plan.

http://www.hia.ie

This website compares all three. So you can stick in your current plan and it will show you a list of similar plans or show you more expensive or cheaper or whatever you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Don't forget - you have the option of not bothering with any health insurance.
    It won't cost you that much IF you have to go to hospital . €75 a night - max €750 per year . I don't bother with it (family with 4 kids). Never had a problem with treatment.
    Everyone seems to be brainwashed into thinking that health insurance is essential ---- it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Ogham wrote: »
    Don't forget - you have the option of not bothering with any health insurance.
    It won't cost you that much IF you have to go to hospital . €75 a night - max €750 per year . I don't bother with it (family with 4 kids). Never had a problem with treatment.
    Everyone seems to be brainwashed into thinking that health insurance is essential ---- it isn't.
    If any of the big stuff happens, I'll want the top treatment there and then, that's why I keep it going. I agree with your opinion for the routine stuff (if any admission to hospital can be considered routine)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

From what i can see on the HIA website comparing the VHI first Plan Plus Level 1 to plans with the same cover from other providers, the same cover is more expensive with aviva/quinn?

am i missing something here, when it appears the media etc say that plans are cheaper with other providers?

could be im not seeing like for like?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

There are so many plans in the market, very like telco market - they are deisgned to confuse. What aviva and quinn could have on their plans is no shortfall for heart surgery or full cover for knee replacement.

First plan plus level 1 has no inpatient excess but 10% shortfall for cardiac surgery in Blackrock, Mater & Hermitage Clinic and a 25% shortfall in the Baecon & Galway. Similarly for knee replacement 10% shortfall in Blackrock, Hermitage & Mater and No cover in the Beacon & Galway clinic.

Having seen a total bill yesterday from one of the above hospitals for an in patient stay of €250,000 ! I would like to have a shortfall.

This is essentially the difference between all the plans in the market, some cover some things, some cover a little, some have excesses to reduce the premium.

Also VHI First Plan Plus Level 1 has an excess of 25 euro before you can claim anything back for a GP visit. So you would have to visit twice before they will pay you back €25.

You have to ascertain which is more important to you and before you say it, I know of a 37 year old who had a freak accident where he slipped off a footpath and had to have a hip replacment and had 100% of the bill paid for by his insurer becuase of his particular plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Will23 wrote: »
    From what i can see on the HIA website comparing the VHI first Plan Plus Level 1 to plans with the same cover from other providers, the same cover is more expensive with aviva/quinn?

am i missing something here, when it appears the media etc say that plans are cheaper with other providers?

could be im not seeing like for like?

Yeah that's what I found too. If I want a cheaper option, it will have to be hospital cover only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

You could have access to public hospitals and day case in privates for €560 - Level 1 Hospital

Level 2 Hospital (similar to VHI Plan B) for €825 and short of €1,000 for Essential Plus (Quinn-Healthcare). Vast majority of population are on this level of cover. These plans will have no inpatient excesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

Folks, if you dont use the competition, there will be no competition.
    Find a cheaper plan with a competitor.

Its like the BOI increasing their charges. If people do not move then even the competition will realize that they dont actually have to compete and just increase their prices too, since they have no fear of losing customers, who are lazy.

Its very Irish to give out about prices, and then pay those prices. There are options, use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

If you're an AIB customer, you can get a 10% discount with aviva (I think) Go into health insurance on the AIB website.

Advertisement