Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connemara Sold Out - All 3 races

• 07-01-2011 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

I was just about to enter today too.

Is there any alternative marathon in Ireland in April?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

theres a couple of half marathons , ballybunion , cooley , i was goin to enter the half but to be honest i think the price is a bit stiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There are a few in England - Taunton, Sussex, Brighton - or you could go to Rotterdam, Paris, Leipzig, Zurich...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

The Belfast Marathon is the first Monday in May so technically not April but very close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

kildare half and full may 15th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Count yourself lucky, it's a rip off across all areas transport requirements/facilities/value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

RayCun wrote: »
    There are a few in England - Taunton, Sussex, Brighton - or you could go to Rotterdam, Paris, Leipzig, Zurich...
    brighton is sold out anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Theres no way they are full on the marathon, its only a small number that do that. They will lose even more from marathon numbers when people switch down to the half or are not running altogether. I would email them and offer to send them a cheque for the full or at least put on the pro mouth and ask to be put on some type of waiting list

What you also might do is offer up your other half (if you have one) for volunteering purposes. That way they kill two birds, an extra 70 euros for themselves and not having to shell out volunteer money.

Paper doesn't refuse ink and a few emails back and forth i bet you will get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Count yourself lucky, it's a rip off across all areas transport requirements/facilities/value for money.

It's an excellent race, perfectly organised and in stunning scenery. Totally worth every single cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

catweazle wrote: »
    Theres no way they are full on the marathon

AFAIK they have an max entry limit for all races no matter what distance people are doing. For that reason the price of all runs (Ultra, Mara, HM) is the same and people are able to switch distance up or down once they have secured an entry.

@ Rover Runner, €70 is great value for an ultra esecially since it includes bus transfers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Kissy Lips wrote: »

There are charity places available if you`re dedicated enough?!?!
    http://www.connemarathon.com/charities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The Limerick Marathon is on the May Bank Holiday weekend as well.

There were a few teething problems last year to say the least (see the lengthly threads elsewhere regarding this) but if the organisers get the thumb out this still has the potential to be a great event. And for what it's worth, Limerick is the European Sport Capital this year so maybe a bit more focus and pressure to get things 100% right this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

I have to agree 70 euro is outlandish for a half matathon no matter where it is.I've ran races all over the world and have never paid even a fraction for similar type events, i can't see where the value for money is.I know many runners who steer clear of overpriced local races like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's a superb race, and in my opinion, worth every cent. Having done the half marathon twice, the marathon once and the ultra last year I would jump at the chance to be down there for my fifth year in a row, however, I can't make it due to calendar commitments. There's a reason this race sells out three months beforehand. Next year, I hope to do the ultra again, but I'll be booking in September,

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

It's a superb race, and in my opinion, worth every cent. Having done the half marathon twice, the marathon once and the ultra last year I would jump at the chance to be down there for my fifth year in a row, however, I can't make it due to calendar commitments. There's a reason this race sells out three months beforehand. Next year, I hope to do the ultra again, but I'll be booking in September,

I'm not suggesting that the race is not a fine event,i've ran it on one occasion and ran its regional pre-cursor in Carraroe many times when i was able to run!!,what i am saying is that it is wildly overpriced.The rate at which it sells out does no disguise this fact.
    That said i wish all this years runners and organisers the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Runonewon wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting that the race is not a fine event,i've ran it on one occasion and ran its regional pre-cursor in Carraroe many times when i was able to run!!,what i am saying is that it is wildly overpriced.The rate at which it sells out does no disguise this fact.
    That said i wish all this years runners and organisers the best of luck.

Would have to agree with you here i find many of the Irish races to be over priced despite the quality of the race. Ran Half last year in Spain. 15e entry goodie bag included a bag (school / sports style) full with energy gels and other treats. Course was great and well stewarded.
    I know people will say that the price of travelling etc outweighed the saving in money but 50e flights, 70e accomodation for 3 nights plus the after party price of drinks and food etc I would have spent more on petrol to get to half here and the entry fee.
    I would recommend people to not be afraid to look overseas for races asmore often than not it can be very very rewarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I have to say I am with the group who think that Connemarra is overpriced. I ran the half a few years ago and I don't really get it's appeal. For me its a bit of "been there. done that and have the tee shirt". What other race can I try next?

In saying that I have to acknowledge that it sells out for some reasons so enough of us think that it is good value. There is also a bit of me that admires the forseight for the organisers to organise a race in the middle of nowhere with all the logistics involved. They have taken the risk so best of luck to them in enjoying the profits they make from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

The organisers don't give a monkey's about the steady criticism of the level of entry fee they get, year in, year out. If they did they'd come out with some PR explaining the high level of overhead they undoubtedly incur. So if I was them I'd (a) stuff the price up to €100 and (b) cut the number of entries available for the Half. Then maybe you'd be able to run it without bumping elbows all the way round and be able to appreciate the scenery like in the early days of the race.

My real gripe is when new races use the Conn entry fee as their benchmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Never done Conn, and probably won't as, in general, I don't do the 'high ticket' races.

However I am interested in the range of prizes on offer at, in particular, the 'high ticket' races. Anyone know what's on offer in Connemara - I'm just interest in the list of prizes (rather than value of same), i.e. 1st 10 men, 1st 3 M40/45/50/55 etc, and the same for the women. I'm compiling a table (don't worry - I intend keeping it off Boards, but hope to post a link to it) of race entry fees and the prizes on offer.

The Conn website is very quiet when it comes to prizes, though there is a small bit: "First place prizes will be presented at 3pm in Maam Cross. Other Prizes (including veterans prizes) will be announced and posted after the event."

Conn isn't alone in not listing prizes. This practice is particularly prevalent among races organised by Limited Companies, of which Connemara is one:

Connemara Marathon Limited
    Registered Number:
    360744 Company Type:PRIVATE LIMITED BY SHARES Registered Address: UNIT 3 LIOSBAN BUSINESS PARK TUAM ROAD GALWAY
    (Btw, they are obliged, under both Irish and EU Company Law, to include this info on their website - it isn't there)

As far as I can see, there isn't a readily evident contact name, address or telephone number on the official website - just an email address. Why withhold this info?

Anyway, to my query: Anyone here able to fill me in on Conn's prize range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RMac

If you want to go for the off road option there is always the Mourne Way Marathon and other events in June.

Ultra (52 Miles), Marathon, Half Marathon, 10k distances all available.

www.mournewaymarathon.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Kissy Lips wrote: »

Two weeks earlier than Conn, the Wicklow Way Trail (25k) and Ultra (50k). The entry fee for the Trail will be €20, Ultra €15 (Bus transfer involved in the Trail). If you have not run any other race this year then you will also have to pay the 10 Euro IMRA annual registration fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Ive decided to do the ultra. It sounds great, I even did the plod yesterday for practise. Lovely day for it.

Advertisement