Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Stradbally

Options
  • 07-01-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently moved out to stradbally and I have been just told that Eircom unbelieveably don't do Broadband in the Village. Anyone on here from the area could help me out with a provider?

If I spend anymore time on this Vodfone stick thing I'll pull my hair out :)

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Only wireless providers, as the others (bar UPC which are only in the city atm) use Eircoms equipment. Plus, rural broadband is poor throughout Ireland :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

No nothing there, vodafone have a mast in the village and are really the only service provider there so are well over subscribed. There's no wireless that I know of and definitely no fixed broadband provider. You might get a 3 or O2 connection in some areas around Stradbally but my experience while its crap vodafone is still the better service in the area. Ocean and Ripplecom for wireless maybe worth a call but I wouldn't hold your breath. If you do find a better service let me know as I know a good few people there that would jump at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 irish rwd

im 2 min away from stradbally and have eircom broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

irish rwd wrote: »
    im 2 min away from stradbally and have eircom broadband

Crazy right? My mam is from Bonmahon and they have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

We've got satellite broadband from ocean telecom. Wouldn't really recommend it. It can be erratic and sometimes just not want to work. To get it installed is pretty pricey too. But when it does work the speed can be pretty good.

I know O2 broadband doesn't work so Vodafone is probably your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

What about Digiweb? In the east of the county they offer a good service around the rural areas - not exceptional but consistent connection and speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

What about Digiweb?.

Unfortunately Digiweb only offer satellite broadband as well around Stradbally. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rayzfone

What part of the village did you move to, I know that the 3 network works better in some areas. If you check the available networks on the vodafone connect window it should show the best signal strenght and from which network.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ main street,

I did get a flyer through the door with up to 8m promised but there is no download limit and only a "fair useage policy" which sent alarm bells ringing.

I emailed to ask would they have any idea what fair usage would be and I was put off. Pity cause it would be ideal. But if I can't download I might aswell stay on my vodafone stick modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

+ 1 to all the above re Vodafone.

0.5m outside of Stradbally and only one that works is V'Fone. Even down to phones, 086 is poor out here and 085 is a non runner. Have to say for the most part, after you get used to what the "stick" offers, it's not the worst.

Had Eircom out to install new cables a while back. Was offering fibre optic but after he checked he said that there are NO plans to bring eircom broadband out to where I am:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

rayjdav wrote: »

Had Eircom out to install new cables a while back. Was offering fibre optic but after he checked he said that there are NO plans to bring eircom broadband out to where I am:mad:

For some reason Eircom called a few people in the area that had registered with them years ago to say that the exchange was going to be upgraded for Broadband, don't think anyone took Eircom seriously and as that was last Febuary (12months ago) I don't think its going to happen :rolleyes:

Advertisement