Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABA Tutor- what qualifications needed?

Options
  • 07-01-2011 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey

I am a final year undergraduate psychology student who is looking for relevent experience for clinical psychology (the doctorate of which I hope to apply for in the next few years).

I was wondering the following:

Would being an ABA tutor count as relevent experience for becoing a clinical psychologist?

Also, what qualifiactions and experiences are needed to become an ABA tutor? (ie can one apply to become aba tutor with just undergraduate psychologist degree?)

Finally, how hard are these ABA jobs to get?

Please excuse my ignorance on the matter, I only found out about these types of jobs today! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Cdmt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭psycjay

Hi

I'm also a final year and interested in ABA, this is what I have gathered so far..

A psychology degree gives you the basis to apply to become an assistant ABA therapist and work under a supervisor.

In order to become a certified behaviour analyst you usually require at least a masters.

Check out BACB.com

In saying that - as far as i know - those qualifications are not compulsory at the moment (please correct me if I am wrong). Many people are working as ABA tutors who come from teaching backgrounds or other routes and do not have specific qualifications relating to ABA directly.

Sorry that my information is scatty at the moment. I hope that someone who is working as a tutor or supervisor can shed more light for us.

Best of luck,

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Cdmt wrote: »
    Would being an ABA tutor count as relevent experience for becoing a clinical psychologist?

yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

Are there any courses that teachers can do while teaching (in a mainstream capacity) to gain a qualification in this area, or at least to develop an understanding of ABA, PECS, TEACCH etc.? The Department of Education seems to want qualified teachers to provide July provision, if it continues, yet qualified teachers may not have any experience/qualifications/knowledge of autism. As a teacher, I realise that this is not satisfactory. I am interested in moving into this area, but I would like to do a course or two first to see if it's for me. I have a BSc in Psychology too.

Advertisement