Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

contesting speeding fines.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

k_mac wrote: »
    Sat navs are based on average speed over a distance not on current speed.
    Many SatNavs will give instantaneous speed calculated every few seconds as well as overall journey average speed.
    Yes you can. It's called the Doppler effect. it uses wavelength calculations. It's physics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_radar
    Unless your real name is Captain Picard*, this will still involve distance and time.

* At near light speed, the apparent colour of or an object will shift. This phenomenon is typically overlooked in science fiction.
    Sat navs are based on average speed over a distance not on current speed.
    But didn't you see the (implied) plaintiff cry in the OP saying he was also drinking? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Victor wrote: »
    Many SatNavs will give instantaneous speed calculated every few seconds as well as overall journey average speed.

My car has 200 bhp. If I am travelling at 50 kmph and put the boot down through a speed trap and then slow down straight away the sat may not even register this change on the screen yet I could still have been well above the speed limit.
    Victor wrote: »
    Unless your real name is Captain Picard*, this will still involve distance and time.

No it uses frequency and wavelength and a formula based on these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lady A M

Hi All,

I have my own query regarding speeding fines. I was caught speeding by an unmarked squad car in KK a few months ago. He said it would be two penalty points and a fine which would be sent to me. I would have to produce it at a Post Office to pay to the fine or send it away with payment details. But I never received anything about the charge in the post and had forgotten about it. Until a few nights ago a guard showed up with a summons to take me to court. Now I don't mind getting the penalty points or paying a fine, i was caught speeding but I'm wondering will the penalty points and fine increase if I'm brought to court and also is there anyway to settle it outside of court? Any help would be appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

My car has 200 bhp. If I am travelling at 50 kmph and put the boot down through a speed trap and then slow down straight away the sat may not even register this change on the screen yet I could still have been well above the speed limit.

No it uses frequency and wavelength and a formula based on these.

I know this is off topic but i can't help myself...

Wavelength is a unit of distance (measured in metres) and frequency is very closely related to time. It's the inverse of time, essentially it measures how many times per second a wave passes a certain point. Using the Doppler Effect is essentially a different way of working out speed but you still need to measure distance and time.

You can hear the Doppler effect when an ambulance rushes past you, as the pitch of the siren lowers as it speeds away. The actual pitch of the siren doesn't change, it's just that as the source of the noise (ambulance) increases its' distance from your ear, the frequency of the soundwave reduces so you hear it at a lower pitch. The frequency reduces as the distance of the source gets further away so less waves hit your ear each second...

I know this is off topic but i can't help myself...

Wavelength is a unit of distance (measured in metres) and frequency is very closely related to time. It's the inverse of time, essentially it measures how many times per second a wave passes a certain point. Using the Doppler Effect is essentially a different way of working out speed but you still need to measure distance and time.

You can hear the Doppler effect when an ambulance rushes past you, as the pitch of the siren lowers as it speeds away. The actual pitch of the siren doesn't change, it's just that as the source of the noise (ambulance) increases its' distance from your ear, the frequency of the soundwave reduces so you hear it at a lower pitch. The frequency reduces as the distance of the source gets further away so less waves hit your ear each second...

If you have an item that can measure frequency you do not need to know the speed or distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

If you have an item that can measure frequency you do not need to know the speed or distance.

My point was really only that distance and time are required to measure speed. In the case of the radar gun, fancy maths is used to circumvent the requirement to measure actual distance and time, instead proportions are used to extrapolate the actual speed. Distance and time still play their role in the calculation due to the fact that they are so closely related to speed (distance being inversely proportional to speed and proportional to time) but I'll stop now and go back to the point of the thread...

Speeding's bad. Penalty points for speeding is good. That said, similar to drink driving, perhaps they should increase the fine or points for going way over the limit. e.g. do 100kph in a 60kph zone, then you get an extra point or €50 on the fixed penalty notice.

Where someone has to go to court over a speeding charge as they failed to pay the FPN, one of the standard mitigation pleas is that they were only doing a little over the limit and didn't realise...Judges tend to fine a person heavier if they're way over the speed limit, so why not reflect that in the FPN scheme? I'm sure there would be complaints and challenges though from people who have incurred a heavier fine because they were caught doing 70kph and a person doing 69kph only get the lesser penatly.

My point was really only that distance and time are required to measure speed. In the case of the radar gun, fancy maths is used to circumvent the requirement to measure actual distance and time, instead proportions are used to extrapolate the actual speed. Distance and time still play their role in the calculation due to the fact that they are so closely related to speed (distance being inversely proportional to speed and proportional to time) but I'll stop now and go back to the point of the thread...

You are forgetting that their is too distances and speeds. Distance travelled and time taken can give you the speed of the vehicle. Frequncy of the laser beam when emitted and returned can also give you the speed. Two completely seperate calculations, one of which doesn't need distance. But I agree. We digress.
    Speeding's bad. Penalty points for speeding is good. That said, similar to drink driving, perhaps they should increase the fine or points for going way over the limit. e.g. do 100kph in a 60kph zone, then you get an extra point or €50 on the fixed penalty notice.

Where someone has to go to court over a speeding charge as they failed to pay the FPN, one of the standard mitigation pleas is that they were only doing a little over the limit and didn't realise...Judges tend to fine a person heavier if they're way over the speed limit, so why not reflect that in the FPN scheme? I'm sure there would be complaints and challenges though from people who have incurred a heavier fine because they were caught doing 70kph and a person doing 69kph only get the lesser penatly.

i would have to agree with you. I think the points should be on a graduated scale from 1 to 5 based on the excess over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Lady A M wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have my own query regarding speeding fines. I was caught speeding by an unmarked squad car in KK a few months ago. He said it would be two penalty points and a fine which would be sent to me. I would have to produce it at a Post Office to pay to the fine or send it away with payment details. But I never received anything about the charge in the post and had forgotten about it. Until a few nights ago a guard showed up with a summons to take me to court. Now I don't mind getting the penalty points or paying a fine, i was caught speeding but I'm wondering will the penalty points and fine increase if I'm brought to court and also is there anyway to settle it outside of court? Any help would be appreciated
    Hi. Contact the Garda that's name is on the summons. Tell the Garda you want to pay the Fixed Penalty Notice. By doing this you are accepting the points too and that should be the end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

OP those vans are there for a reason and if they save just one single life they are worth it in my humble opinion.
    I also saw mentioned about being familiar with the road and that often leads to complacency.
    There is a simple way around getting off this but i'm reluctant to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Gernev

I was clocked doing 75 kl in a 50 kl zone by two guards hiding by a school at 7.30 in the evening wed 10 july I had sun glasses on and could not see the little numbers on the spedo I could see mile per hour witch is big and white but the kph is small and red, To focus on this is dangerous when approaching the school I overtook a push bike how can you overtake and study your spedo at the same time but this speed restriction is for the school its a main road and the school closed for summer holiday im on the dole im looking for work as an artic driver cant afford 80 euro or 2 points, I will go to court, I wont pay the fine ill go to jail and I encourage everyone to do the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gernev wrote: »
    I had sun glasses on and could not see the little numbers on the spedo I could see mile per hour witch is big and white but the kph is small and red,
    This won't help your case.
    this speed restriction is for the school its a main road and the school closed for summer holiday
    That doesn't mean there aren't people about. It seems you didn't spot the two gardaí. :)
    I wont pay the fine ill go to jail
    This may stop you being a truck driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Gernev wrote: »
    I was clocked doing 75 kl in a 50 kl zone by two guards hiding by a school at 7.30 in the evening wed 10 july I had sun glasses on and could not see the little numbers on the spedo I could see mile per hour witch is big and white but the kph is small and red, To focus on this is dangerous when approaching the school I overtook a push bike how can you overtake and study your spedo at the same time but this speed restriction is for the school its a main road and the school closed for summer holiday im on the dole im looking for work as an artic driver cant afford 80 euro or 2 points, I will go to court, I wont pay the fine ill go to jail and I encourage everyone to do the same

Sorry to say it Gernev but all I see are lots of excuses. You didn't pay attention to your speed and got caught out fair and square. You don't have to concentrate on your speedometer, if you're familiar with dual unit speedometers you should already be aware of the relationship between mph and km/h and should have recognised at a glance that you were well in excess of the speed limit.
    Even without such familiarity any driver with a modicum of experience should be able to sense that 75km/h is a lot faster than 50km/h even on a wide main road.

That said, it might be worth your while going back out there and checking if the speed limit sign has a time plate on it. In some places school speed limits only apply during certain times of the day and the Garda may not have noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I know the sound my engine makes at 50Khp in third. If I push it into 4th I'm always going that little bit over 50Kph and can easily slip into 60Kph. There's not a chance I'd be doing 75Kph in a 50 near a school an not know it.

Chancer 0 Gardai 1

Nice to see them out and about for a change.

Any chance you'd let us know when your court date is I'd love to see you give your excuse to the judge.

Sorry I have to ask - how old are you? Surely you know that 50KPH roughly translates to 30MPH, 60 to 40, 80 to 50 and 120 is faster than the old 70 limit? Am I getting old or was it not that long ago we were using MPH speed limits and Km distance signs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

As your licence is going to be important to you, contact a solicitor who deals with these matters in the relevant district court.

Advertisement