Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Studying two martial arts similtaneously?

• 07-01-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

Hello I've been thinking of taking up MA again after training in TKD when I was a kid. I was just wondering if any of the experienced people here would think that it would be counterproductive to train in two styles side by side like say Kung Fu and Ninjitsu?. I realise it could be a big juggle in terms of time and effort.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 adelarge1

i say, if you have the time go for it. as long as your learning at the good rate in both styles why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Try as many different styles as you can, your question will become irrelevant when you find the one that suits you best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Seanachai wrote: »
    I was just wondering if any of the experienced people here would think that it would be counterproductive to train in two styles side by side like say Kung Fu and Ninjitsu?

I'm not sure whether it would be counterproductive, but you might get a better mix of skills by training in two arts that complimented each other. For example if you want to learn a striking art (TKD, karate, kungfu, kickboxing) you could combine it with a grappling art (judo, bjj, aikido, etc) for a more complete fighting training.

I suspect a combination like kung fu and ninjitsu would potentially be too similar, and you may find that you get confused between the two arts.

Be at peace,

Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

I've teach and have taught a few folks in the Bujinkan("Ninjutsu") who also study various other things as well and, the majority have too much baggage when you're trying to get them to move certain ways in a relaxed fashion.

Broadly speaking I don't really think Ninjutsu and Kung fu are similar in any way really (did kung fu for two years, have taught kung-fu background students).

In Bujinkan (Ninjutsu) there is a LOT of adaptation and room for moving in a LOt of different ways but all those ways have certain mechanics in common that other martial arts training often interferes with...... not always though.

Having said that I do have a student who's senior in another art and is pretty good at switching how they move although there is often "leakage".

Ultimately my thought is..... be a dog that chases one rabbit 100% and catches it, not one that tries to chase two and catches none. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

When I instructed TKD awhile ago, we also included SD in our curriculum.

Further, to advance in some weaponless MAs, they may also require you to train with a weapon; e.g., nunchucks, staff, sword, etc. This sounds like a contradiction, but it happens in many dojos, dojangs, and studios.

When instructing and training in TKD, I added Iaijutsu a few years ago, and now only instruct and train in Iaijutsu (plus a unique dojo-specific ryu for multiple combat). So you can transition from one MA to another over time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement