Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*HELP NEEDED* Anime/Manga stores list

Options
  • 07-01-2011 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!

Okay so I'm currently working on a new and improved list of stores in Ireland that sell anime DVDs, manga and any other related paraphenalia. I need yer help though since I'm unsure about the status of many of the stores listed in the original post.

If anyone can update me about any of the stores listed or if you know of any stores that should be on that listed but aren't, please post here! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

HMV have an anime section, bloody expensive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

So from looking at that list:

1. Would I be correct in thinking that Sub City no longer exists? Forbidden Planet isn't on the list... does it have anything to do with Sub City (I haven't been living in Dublin all that long so hopefully someone else can clarify this :P).

2. All HMV stores stock anime - usually just Studio Ghibli films and GitS

3. All Waterstone branches stock manga

4. Hodges Figgis on Dawson St. stocks manga

5. Moviedrome in Limerick has loads of anime DVDs for rent

6. Hughes & Hughes has a small manga section

That's pretty much all I know - there's no more Virgin stores right? Anyone know what replaced it in Tallaght and if it stocks anime/manga?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Burkie.EXE

Hoggis Figgis and Forbidden Planet aren't on that list. You probably have them already though.
    There's also the other Tower Records on top of Easons on O'Connell street.
    edit: ninja'd about the first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Konata wrote: »
    That's pretty much all I know - there's no more Virgin stores right? Anyone know what replaced it in Tallaght and if it stocks anime/manga?

River Island. I think it's safe to assume they import manga and anime stuff straight from Japan and have a giant section for it.
    1. Would I be correct in thinking that Sub City no longer exists? Forbidden Planet isn't on the list... does it have anything to do with Sub City (I haven't been living in Dublin all that long so hopefully someone else can clarify this ).

Sub City does still exist as far as I know, never been inside though for some reason. Must check it out some time.

There's a small stall in George's Street arcade that sells a lot of random anime/manga merch (posters, bags etc.) but I've no idea if they sell DVD's or hard copies of manga.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Eason in Athlone sells Manga, and is actually regularly updated.

Most HMVs sell Anime in the International section alright, have only come across one HMV that didn't sell Anime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

So from looking at that list:

1. Would I be correct in thinking that Sub City no longer exists? Forbidden Planet isn't on the list... does it have anything to do with Sub City (I haven't been living in Dublin all that long so hopefully someone else can clarify this :P).

Incorrect SubCity is still open in Dublin and Galway. SubCity Dublin opened a second store focused mainly on toys and back issues but has since closed it again. They do stock manga titles in both Dublin and Galway stores.

Forbidden Planet International is not connected with Sub City...it's also not connected with Forbidden Planet. Causes mass confusion but they use to be one chain until a falling out and now there is Forbidden Planet which has stores in London, Liverpool and a bunch of other places in the UK while Forbidden Planet International runs the Dublin and Belfast stores as well as most of the ones in Scotland, England and the one in New York. They also run the Forbidden Planet International Blog one of the most balanced comics blogs out there when it comes to covering all areas of comics from British and Irish, American, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, FrancoBelgian and anywhere else they find comics being made. It's worth noting the difference as both chains use the same logos and run online stores but the FPI one is far better and more reliable to order from.

There is also another comic store called Dublin City Comics located on Bolton Street near DIT. I don't live in Dublin anymore so haven't been so can't say what range of comics they stock.

Story on crow corner in Temple Bar is closing down or has I'm not sure what date Liam said it was closing. He has plans to re-open somewhere else down the line but no clue where and when.

Thanks ztocial, that's exactly the information I was looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Other Realms in Paul Street Shopping Centre, Cork have lots of manga for sale. Two whole bookcases' worth! I think they also sell some anime DVDs.

Tower Records in Dublin (er, the one that isn't part of an Eason shop?) has a sizeable anime section on their 1st floor. They even have a revolving stand full of boxsets. Fairly good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 First Post

Chapters in Parrnell street still sell manga.
    You can rent manga in Blanchardstown library(The selection isn't great and is mainly aimed at kids though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Tower Records in Dublin (er, the one that isn't part of an Eason shop?) has a sizeable anime section on their 1st floor. They even have a revolving stand full of boxsets. Fairly good stuff!

The one that is part of Easons has one too, not a very big one though.
    The Easons that it's part of actually has manga, but not much (it's kinda near the other comics/graphic novels over by the fiction section).

This is the Eason's on O'Connell/Abbey st. btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Took the Sub City details from the Irish Gaming Wiki so I can't be sure the phone numbers still work.

Sub City Galway
    Corbett Court
    Galway
    Telephone: +353 91 565994

Sub City Dublin
    Exchequer Street URL="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=53.343128,-6.264031&spn=0.002882,0.009656&z=17&msid=105089971134449279210.0004662dae9849b548fda"]map[/URL
    Dublin 2
    Telephone: +353 1 677 1902

Saw some manga in Eason in Galway once... can't be sure they are still there though.

Eason
    33 Shop Street,
    Galway,
    Co. Galway,
    Ireland.
    Telephone: 091 562 284

HMV in Galway are surprisingly good for Anime DVD's in the World Films section.

HMV, Galway

Barrack Lane
    Eyre Square
    Galway
    Phone:
    +353 91 569053

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭Evade

Alien 8 in Wexford has a decent selection of manga and might be stocking anime DVDs soon.

First Post wrote: »
    Chapters in Parrnell street still sell manga.
    You can rent manga in Blanchardstown library(The selection isn't great and is mainly aimed at kids though).

Oh, I forgot about librarys. Tallaght library has an Anime/Manga section - a good selection of dvd's and books.

Thanks guys, these are all a great help :) Shall have the updated list up in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There's a small "cheap books"-type store at the bottom of Grafton Street that usually has manga.
    Just bought Pluto v1 & v2 for €12 total.

Warning, selection will be random.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Is that The Secret Book and Record store on Wicklow street?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Art_Wolf wrote: »
    Is that The Secret Book and Record store on Wicklow street?
    Nope; it's in between the CompuB (Apple) store & the cigar shop.

There's a small "cheap books"-type store at the bottom of Grafton Street that usually has manga.
    Just bought Pluto v1 & v2 for €12 total.

Warning, selection will be random.

Was in there today, wow the selection really was random. It seems that shop just stocks random surpluses.

Advertisement