Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two cable modems? Does it work?

• 07-01-2011 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Im tired of fighting with bad wireless and I want to hook up my computer with an ethernet cable instead.

Where my pc is located is way too far to bring the ethernet cable across the whole place, but i have a cable feed that comes right into my room from the main cable outside. I was wondering if hooking up a spare cable modem in my rooms cable would work, or would it conflict somehow.

My isp is NTL and both modems are the standard Scientific Atlanta.

Just checked and i suspect that the feed in my room is not connected to the main cable coming from outside, so I might need a splitter, I have something that looks like a splitter but Im not sure it would work, its one of those Regal in/out/tap that seems to change the DB's anyway.

Has anyone done that? Does it seem possible to use 2 cable modems like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

That's not possible, unless you pay UPC for a 2nd service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

GRF wrote: »
    Im tired of fighting with bad wireless and I want to hook up my computer with an ethernet cable instead.

Where my pc is located is way too far to bring the ethernet cable across the whole place, but i have a cable feed that comes right into my room from the main cable outside. I was wondering if hooking up a spare cable modem in my rooms cable would work, or would it conflict somehow.

My isp is NTL and both modems are the standard Scientific Atlanta.

Just checked and i suspect that the feed in my room is not connected to the main cable coming from outside, so I might need a splitter, I have something that looks like a splitter but Im not sure it would work, its one of those Regal in/out/tap that seems to change the DB's anyway.

Has anyone done that? Does it seem possible to use 2 cable modems like that?
    No you cant use two cable modems like that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As already mentioned it won't work, same as you can't puit two ADSL modems on one telephone line

Cabaal wrote: »
    As already mentioned it won't work, same as you can't puit two ADSL modems on one telephone line

You can put two cable modems on one line, as cable is a shared medium. Neighbourhoods are made up of loads of modems on one line. But unless the modem has been provisioned by the supplier it won't work.

DSL is different as it's star topology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

GRF wrote: »
    Where my pc is located is way too far to bring the ethernet cable across the whole place, but i have a cable feed that comes right into my room from the main cable

Too far or too awkward? You can go up to 100m with an ethernet cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

n97 mini wrote: »
    That's not possible, unless you pay UPC for a 2nd service.
    axer wrote: »
    No you cant use two cable modems like that.
    All incorrect. DOCSIS shares the one coaxial cable back to the distribution point and I believe all modems access the same large bandwidth except that the modems are programmed with an allocation of this total bandwidth thereof. If you bring over another cable modem to a house with an existing cable modem in service, just plugging in a splitter and plugging the second modem into that will allow internet access on the second modem.

Theoretically the modems may not work if brought to a different segment of cable network but previous reports on boards suggest that a modem can be used anywhere in Dublin for example, that has been already enabled for EuroDOCSIS. So someone can easily bring a modem from a friend or relative's house and plug it in in their own house if it's on broadband-enabled UPC network.

ADSL as an access technology is entirely different in every respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

To use 2 cable modems you need the modem to be provisioned that means another subscription to UPC, which you have to pay for the two of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Would you not fork out for a few home network plugs?

Big Lar wrote: »

The home network plugs would be the simplest thing to do though some of those plugs apparently can interfere with radio reception. YMMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Big Lar wrote: »

Do they actually work? Are they as good as an ethernet connection?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You can put two cable modems on one line, as cable is a shared medium. Neighbourhoods are made up of loads of modems on one line. But unless the modem has been provisioned by the supplier it won't work.

DSL is different as it's star topology.

Regardless the answer is still no to both regarding what the OP actually asked,
    ADSL as an access technology is entirely different in every respect.

indeed it is but the same still applys, you can't simply connect to modems and expect it to work :)

As posters have already said if he wants a second modem then UPC will need to provision it the same as any other
    How is the answer no? The OP can definetely use a second modem, and it would work, so long as he/she pays the monthly subscription for it too.

How is the answer no? The OP can definetely use a second modem, and it would work, so long as he/she pays the monthly subscription for it too.

The op is looking to use two modems to share his existing connection into two places, he mentions nothing of signing upto UPC a second time....of course unless he wants to do this the answer is still he can't do what he has suggested :)

Suggesting the OP should pay atleast 25e a month and sign to a new contract to just have net access at a second room when wireless doesn't work is abit of a strange suggestion given there are other workable and certainly much cheaper solutions to his issue...the issue being that his wireless signal is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Jimbo wrote: »
    Do they actually work? Are they as good as an ethernet connection?

They can work, but can also cause a lot of interference (it's actually an RF transmitter/receiver), but no, not actually as good as an Ethernet connection.

All incorrect... If you bring over another cable modem to a house with an existing cable modem in service, just plugging in a splitter and plugging the second modem into that will allow internet access on the second modem.
    Not if the ISP hasn't provisioned the modem.

Of course the answer is still no, but let us have accurate information in any case.

Of course the answer is still no, but let us have accurate information in any case.

Accurate information was provided however talking nonsense about an option that the OP isn't going to realistically take only wastes people's time and doesn't actually help the OP.

Anyway back to the OP's actual issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

jor el wrote: »
    They can work, but can also cause a lot of interference (it's actually an RF transmitter/receiver), but no, not actually as good as an Ethernet connection.

they work quite well actually, but as some people said they interfere with Radio signals, so I wouldn't have your speakers near them. It's a little slower than your wireless speed would normally be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Groinshot wrote: »
    they work quite well actually,

You can't make that statement for all cases though, as it may not work at all in certain circumstances. As to speed, if it works well, it would be better and more reliable than a Wifi network. You just don't know what the case will be until you try them out.

Accurate information was provided
    You implied that "same as DSL" you can't have two modems on one line. That's not accurate. You can, if you pay for the 2nd one to be provisioned.

OP's solution is Powerline, which is also not free as he'll have to buy a minimum of two adapters, but obviously there are no recurring charges. It works moderately well, but like wireless gets a fraction of its claimed speed.

• Advertisement

Not if the ISP hasn't provisioned the modem.
    Yes but that's what the talk of the second subscription was for. If someone takes it out on the OP's behalf then it can be done. The ISP will have provisioned the modem for someone else at another address but the experience is that such a modem will work anywhere on UPC's broadband-enabled cable networks.

Cabaal, that's a little disingenuous. Just because the OP hasn't said if they would pay for a second subscription doesn't mean it can be ruled out of hand as impossible... I don't think you should regard an accurate clarification as "nonsense".

The most likely way to ensure the same speed is received upstairs as well as beside the modem is to use a second "provisioned" modem. It's also the most expensive way but that's up to the OP to decide.

Advertisement