Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Equally yoked?

• 07-01-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

OK, not sure whether you guys have discussed about this or not:

In 2 Corinthians 6:14, it said: Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

Does it apply to marriage? Is it God's law not to marry non-believers? It's a sin to marry someone that's not Christian for Christians?

My personal thought is that it's not law, but it's God's 'recommendation'. And that scripture does not imply that we can't marry non-believers. But the price is huge.

Please share your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

There was a thread on this a good while back. Maybe somebody will provide a link.

For my part, it's not a sin. But it can lead to problems, especially if there is strong opinion on either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Proof of the Bible being prophetic. Advising people not to go to raves with people who don't partake. Sound advise indeed. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

booksale wrote: »
    OK, not sure whether you guys have discussed about this or not:

In 2 Corinthians 6:14, it said: Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

Does it apply to marriage? Is it God's law not to marry non-believers? It's a sin to marry someone that's not Christian for Christians?

My personal thought is that it's not law, but it's God's 'recommendation'. And that scripture does not imply that we can't marry non-believers. But the price is huge.

Please share your thoughts.

Yes, its an instruction / recommendation. In context of everything, the bible / has many instructions on how we can live our lives.
    I wish I'd listened to a lot of them now! ;-)

If you're single and a christian, it's better to marry a christian.
    If you're married and then become a christian but your partner doesn't, it's better to remain married to them.
    If you're a christian woman and your spouse dies, it's better to remain unmarried.
    It also talks about sex.
    It's good for a single man to remain single, but it's better that he marry if he cannot contain himself as not to sin.
    It's good for a single woman to remain single, but it's better that she marry if she cannot contain herself as not to sin.
    Neither husband nor wife should withhold sex, your body is not your own in marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 janeeen

I had a similar thread a while ago if your interested

friendships with non believers or sinners???

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055841762

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

Tks. I've browsed through the thread, there was not much disccussion about marriage though.

It is a very popular saying in the church that we can't marry non-believers. Some even think it's a sin. I doubt.

Maybe it's the best. Then the question is: Is not wanting the best from God is sin???

Also, is it really the best for every individual?

A lot of my Christian female friends become bitter and bitter because there are simply no men in the church! And they would not open themselves to date non-believers. And they blame God (or question God) for not openning the doors. But I personally think that having such belief that you must marry a Christian is a kind of ignorance about the reality that less men than women in the church and also a restriction about your fully experience what God brings you in your life. You know, go with the flow of your life and cherish what your life brings you and all that...

I personally would be more attracted to people who can hold spiritual conversations, but I don't believe that it's a 'must' to marry a Christian. Afterall, in the marriage, 'respect' and 'love' are the most important elements.

Anyone any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Tks. I've browsed through the thread, there was not much disccussion about marriage though.

It is a very popular saying in the church that we can't marry non-believers. Some even think it's a sin. I doubt.

Maybe it's the best. Then the question is: Is not wanting the best from God is sin???

Also, is it really the best for every individual?

A lot of my Christian female friends become bitter and bitter because there are simply no men in the church! And they would not open themselves to date non-believers. And they blame God (or question God) for not openning the doors. But I personally think that having such belief that you must marry a Christian is a kind of ignorance about the reality that less men than women in the church and also a restriction about your fully experience what God brings you in your life. You know, go with the flow of your life and cherish what your life brings you and all that...

I personally would be more attracted to people who can hold spiritual conversations, but I don't believe that it's a 'must' to marry a Christian. Afterall, in the marriage, 'respect' and 'love' are the most important elements.

Anyone any thoughts?

It depends how serious someone's faith is. If their Christian faith isn't that important to them, then marrying an unbeliever probably won't seem a big deal.

But for many of us our faith is one of the biggest things in our lives. I can't imagine trying to go through life when my wife didn't even share something that is so important to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It was another thread that I was thinking of. Perhaps a keyword search using the words "unevenly yoked" or some such will turn something up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

PDN wrote: »
    I can't imagine trying to go through life when my wife didn't even share something that is so important to me.
    Thought does your wife follow the one true team, i.e. Arsenal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Manach wrote: »
    Thought does your wife follow the one true team, i.e. Arsenal ?

When I first started dating her she was living in London. She said she wanted to go somewhere exciting on our first date, so I took her to Highbury to watch Arsenal play Leicester City. It was a good date - Arsenal won 2-1!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

PDN wrote: »
    It depends how serious someone's faith is. If their Christian faith isn't that important to them, then marrying an unbeliever probably won't seem a big deal.

But for many of us our faith is one of the biggest things in our lives. I can't imagine trying to go through life when my wife didn't even share something that is so important to me.

one's faith is one's faith. one's relationship with God is one's relationship with God. God is the boss and God has His own time to make people to turn to Him.

but the price is huge to marry a non-believer, it's not easy, and require acceptance, respect, honesty and love... from both in the marriage... but again, all marriage require those elements.

i will search again, tks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement