Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air and sea rescue figures soar 20%

Options
  • 07-01-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/ireland/air-and-sea-rescue-figures-soar-20-488391.html#ixzz1AM5wUtJW

Air and sea rescues soared by a fifth last year, with the Irish Coast Guard assisting more than 3,500 people.

Statistics showed 1,839 emergency calls were answered throughout 2010, with numbers spiking during the cold snap.

Declan Geoghegan, manager of the Irish Coast Guard, said the 20% rise in the number of people helped was mainly due to the severe weather conditions at the end of the year.

He revealed crews helped gardaí, local authorities, health workers and medical patients as Arctic conditions swept across the country.

“The Coast Guard also provided assistance to the farming community by airlifting animal feed during the severe weather,” he added.

Mr Geoghegan revealed there was a notable drop in the number of calls to help those using leisure craft or diving, which he attributed to efforts by the Marine Safety Working Group in alerting people to the dangers of the sea and coastline. However, 49 fatalities were recorded during the year.

Safety tips for swimmers, boaters, walkers and divers include planning coastline, sea or inland waterway activities in advance and advise someone ashore of your plans, checking weather and tides, checking your craft and equipment, and never going out alone.

Mr Geoghegan criticised the increase in hoax and nuisance calls and false alarms.

“We are working closely with an Garda Síochána in addressing hoax calls,” he said.

“Coast Guard Units right around Ireland are on standby today, as we are 24/7 to respond to incidents, to provide assistance and to save lives. This is important work and something we take very seriously indeed.”

And this

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/plan-to-airlift-critically-ill-patients-could-substantially-boost-survival-rates-141347.html#ixzz1AN0l7Vl5

Plan to airlift critically ill patients could substantially boost survival rates
    By Dan Danaher

Friday, January 07, 2011

A NEW plan to airlift critically ill patients from isolated parts of Clare for treatment in regional hospitals could substantially improve survival rates, a local accident and emergency consultant has revealed.

Governernment approval to expand the role for the Shannon-based search and rescue helicopter could result in a new strategy to transport major trauma patients to 24-hour casualty departments in a fraction of the time it takes by road.

Discussions have been held between the HSE, the Irish Coast Guard Service and the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) on the best way to utilise and co-ordinate existing resources.

While a number of outstanding issues remain to be resolved, progress has been made putting a new proposal in place to airlift acute trauma victims.

Dr Cathal O’Donnell, accident and emergency consultant in both the Mid-Western Regional Hospital and Ennis Hospital, said an advanced paramedic service would administer life-saving treatment to a major trauma patient at the scene and would then transport the person to an approved landing strip where the Irish Coast Guard helicopter would provide rapid access to an appropriate hospital once it had a helipad.

The casualty consultant pointed out once a number of outstanding issues were resolved, the new plan could be implemented by the end of the year.

The plan, it was emphasised, will not involve any large capital outlay or additional cost as it is believed the Irish Coast Guard Service has the capacity to fulfil an expanded role.

All of its existing crew are highly trained paramedics who have the same level of training as HSE paramedics and would be able to treat a critically ill patient being airlifted to hospital.

A new helipad facility was provided on the grounds of Limerick’s Mid-Western Regional Hospital last year and most of the regional hospitals have this facility — apart from Cork University Hospital, where patients have to be dropped off at Cork airport before they are transferred to the hospital.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/plan-to-airlift-critically-ill-patients-could-substantially-boost-survival-rates-141347.html#ixzz1AN2vO6jV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭stretch00

Don't know what this is about, the Air Corp and Coast Guard have long provided the HSE and a list of designated requesters with an excellent full service in this vein.There have been SLA's in place for years now.

Maybe this "news" is more of a smokecreen for improved services by the HSE reconfiguration...............:(

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭resus

I for one support the idea of multi-use of resources. We are too small a country and have too few resources for independent agencies with independent roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

stretch00 wrote: »
    Don't know what this is about, the Air Corp and Coast Guard have long provided the HSE and a list of designated requesters with an excellent full service in this vein.There have been SLA's in place for years now.

Maybe this "news" is more of a smokecreen for improved services by the HSE reconfiguration...............:(

Exactly, its the only way around the downgrading of Ennis, and moving all A&e from Co Clare to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭resus

If you think about it, it's an ingenious plan: HSE have degraded the "Junior" Doctors Terms & Conditions that much that as soon as they can, doctors head off to other parts of the world. Leaving, "We've not enough Doctors to staff 24/7" as an excuse to close regional facilities.

The HSE have been so effective in their "cunning plan" that a colleague in Limerick tells me that there are EVEN FEWER Non Consultant Hospital Doctors in Limerick Regional A&E from Monday.

But I still believe that using SAR resources in a wider roll is the way forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Klunk001

Not much different but seems to be hinting at mid year on trial basis.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2011/0118/1224287751277.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Klunk001 wrote: »

great news,glad to see standards are going up
    refreshing in a era of cutbacks & downgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Is the SAR tender a fixed price one?
    i.e. is the price to the government the same regardless of how much the assets are used?

Is the SAR tender a fixed price one?
    i.e. is the price to the government the same regardless of how much the assets are used?

yup

Cheers

In that case if its paid for might be as well to get the most use as possible out of it.

Do people think having the coast guard assets involved in an air-ambulance role would jeapordise its SAR ability in any way?

• Advertisement

Maritine SAR is the IRCG primary role where the helo's are concerned. With the four bases being on 15 minute readiness during the day and 45 min readiness at night, there is a possibility of overlap with each neighbouring asset. I'm sure someone has done the figures in relation to two asset been tasked at the same time.

The first port of call for the HSE in relation to Air ambulance is with the IAC, failing that it's the IRCG. The spread of the IRCG bases and op readiness times would be a big advantage.

One of the previous articles mentioned on this thread said this service could be carried out within current IRCG budgets, which is a good thing in the current climate.

I believe the IRCG directer made figures available today in relation to IRCG helo availability per base, per month for last year. The figure is very impressive, 99% all base average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Do people think having the coast guard assets involved in an air-ambulance role would jeapordise its SAR ability in any way?

Use of the word Air Ambulance is a big no-no for IrCG.......they are a search and rescue helicopter.....never an air ambulance, however they will assist.
    The first port of call for the HSE in relation to Air ambulance is with the IAC, failing that it's the IRCG. The spread of the IRCG bases and op readiness times would be a big advantage.

I believe the IRCG directer made figures available today in relation to IRCG helo availability per base, per month for last year. The figure is very impressive, 99% all base average.

First part....watch this space in regards Clare, Kerry and Tipp in the coming months.

Second part...here it is for your viewing pleasure from Director Reynolds.

yes i'm sure the IrCG prefer not to be regarded as an air ambulance service, but the infrastructure exists with their bases and technicians around the country, whereas the air corps only operate out of Baldonnel on a permanent basis(correct me if i'm wrong on that). Add to that the newly all-qualified paramedics aboard the S-61s. How much of an extra cost would it be to have a dedicated ambulance chopper working out of Shannon/Sligo covering the west of the country? Pilots and technicians could be drawn out of the existing rosters with minimal extra hiring/training up of skills.

How many patient airlifts do the air corps provide every year?
    My bet is not that many, perhaps down to the lack of availability round the country round the clock?? I don't know i'm only guessing...

I know people on here before have argued that there isn't a need for an air ambulance due to the small size of our country, but the more remote parts of the country aren't that well covered by the normal HSE ambulance service.

[I'm not suggesting a wonder solutin here, its a discussion board i'm only trying to stimulate a friendly discussion :) ]

Savage, I can see where you are coming from. Realistically when you start to bring a different helo type in that's when it gets messy. The figure of 99% availability is impressive, one of the reasons for that is... one type of heli. By keeping engineers and pilots rated on one type you can run things lean, for want of a better word. An extra type will mean extra bods, inturn will mean extra dosh.

the '61 is just physically too much chopper for the role,the old dauphins would have been perfect for this

Yeah they seem to be a bit too much machine for the job which would involve landing on roads etc... The S-92 wont be any different.
    How many hospitals still have helipads? and wasn't there issues landing the >6000kg S-61s on some of the hospital helipads over the years?
    Upgrading and keeping one Dauphin for a dedicated air-ambulance role would have been a good move back then alright. but thats another story...

I'm no expert on type rating for pilots/maintenance but how common is it to have crews qualified and rostered for more than one type at once?

Another thing i'm wondering is what exactly the air corps role in the air ambulance is? How many callouts per year? Is there anything dedicated to this in the AC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Another thing i'm wondering is what exactly the air corps role in the air ambulance is? How many callouts per year? Is there anything dedicated to this in the AC?

They collect patients and HSE teams and bring them wherever they need to go.

As of 30th December 2010 there was 67 air ambulance flights conducted by the AC.

There's been 5 so far this year that I know of, 3 of which were all on the same day.

In what way do you mean dedicated?

Thats more than I thought would be the case.

By dedicated i meant is there a chopper fully tasked only to this role, sitting somewhere waiting to be called. Similar to the IrCG on 15 minute daytime readiness.

unfortunately not,it's on an ad-hoc basis

punchdrunk wrote: »
    unfortunately not,it's on an ad-hoc basis

Isn't there a crew in the Don on call 24 hours a day, as in a duty crew?

Genuinely don't know if there is or not, could've sworn I read it somewhere. More than likely wrong though. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah they seem to be a bit too much machine for the job which would involve landing on roads etc... The S-92 wont be any different.
    How many hospitals still have helipads? and wasn't there issues landing the >6000kg S-61s on some of the hospital helipads over the years?
    Upgrading and keeping one Dauphin for a dedicated air-ambulance role would have been a good move back then alright. but thats another story...

I'm no expert on type rating for pilots/maintenance but how common is it to have crews qualified and rostered for more than one type at once?

It has been discussed here, landing at the side of a road could be classed as a HEMS job which is different to air ambulance. The figures quoted for IAC air ambulance flights last year I believe includes fix wing assets also.

It has been discussed here, landing at the side of a road could be classed as a HEMS job which is different to air ambulance. The figures quoted for IAC air ambulance flights last year I believe includes fix wing assets also.

Yeah, it was. Haven't a breeze of the numbers for 139 flights.

Poccington wrote: »
    Isn't there a crew in the Don on call 24 hours a day, as in a duty crew?

Genuinely don't know if there is or not, could've sworn I read it somewhere. More than likely wrong though. :pac:

I could possibly be wrong,but would they have an air craft fuel and ready to go in 15 minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Topper Harley01

Why don't they allow single engine helicopters to carry out day VFR air ambulance work? I'm pretty sure the Alouettes were used in this role for a few years without any major problems.

Also, they are commonly used in America for this role. Perhaps it might be worth reviewing the restriction to twin engine machines. The LongRanger tends to be used quite regularly in this role, as seen in the recent Tuscon shootings.

I know there is the extremely remote chance of engine failure, but if I was bleeding to death on a remote road it would be a chance I was willing to take...

In that case I've been talking about HMES all along. I was talking about a helicopter assisting/replacing an emergency HSE ambulance.
    What did the 67 callouts last year involve if none were HMES?

who provides HMES service in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

punchdrunk wrote: »
    the '61 is just physically too much chopper for the role,the old dauphins would have been perfect for this

No, cabin was too short. Litter had to go diagonally through the cabin. EC135 gets around this with the clamshell doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

This will most likely be a secondary HEMS system rather than primary and having to have the S61/S92 land at the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/swimmer-in-his-70s-airlifted-to-hospital-after-getting-into-difficulty-in-irish-sea-34330716.html

They are hardly short of a pool in Dublin or are they just too tight to pay for the use of one. Just incredible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/swimmer-in-his-70s-airlifted-to-hospital-after-getting-into-difficulty-in-irish-sea-34330716.html

They are hardly short of a pool in Dublin or are they just too tight to pay for the use of one. Just incredible!!!

That was a disgrace.
    But just to throw this one out to those here in the know.
    These choppers hoist people up on special stretchers, so why can't they hover over hospital car parks close to the A&E's and hospital staff come out with a trolley. The casualty is lowered with the paramedic, he hands the casualty over and returns back up to the chopper with his stretcher.

I get it that the hospital staff have to know the medical condition of the person and what was administered etc, but that could be done via radio/ gsm.

Why are heli pads at hospitals even necessary if the above is possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

kub wrote: »
    That was a disgrace.
    But just to throw this one out to those here in the know.
    These choppers hoist people up on special stretchers, so why can't they hover over hospital car parks close to the A&E's and hospital staff come out with a trolley. The casualty is lowered with the paramedic, he hands the casualty over and returns back up to the chopper with his stretcher.

I get it that the hospital staff have to know the medical condition of the person and what was administered etc, but that could be done via radio/ gsm.

Why are heli pads at hospitals even necessary if the above is possible?

They'd probably have to return to base a few times before a trolley becomes available... :pac:

It's also a higher risk operation than landing at a secure clear site that has been assessed as suitable for safe landings.

Advertisement