Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fighters Costs

• 07-01-2011 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm not a fighter or a coach or even associated with a club but I'm just intrested.

With shows all over Ireland and lads from up north going down south and lads down south coming up north to fight, I just wanted to know if promoters pay for petrol/diesel, accomodation etc I'm specially intrested in the ways semi pro lads get treated. Does the promoter pay for the fighters service or is it the responibility of the fighter and a small price to pay to get on some big shows as a semi pro/amateur. I'm not asking about fighters purses Im mainly looking at costs of getting to and from shows and accomodation if they have to stay 2 nights e.g weigh ins and fight night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

it certainly adds up , when i fight i train 6 days a week for 8 weeks before a fight, this means 30 min drive to and from gym each time and i'd be surprised if there wasnt guys travellin twice that journey around the country in the various gyms . this also means overtime is knocked on the head , but not much of that these days either to be fair... recession happening apparently! weigh in means taking a day off work for me anyway as there almost always on a friday. usually this means a spin to the place where weigh in taking place too and back. as for supplements for me its about 50quid a month including a discount from a shop who our gym deal with and i only use a recovery drink and a protein supp , not much compared to lots of guys . any promoter of a show i've been on has offered commision on any tickets i sell , a show before xmas was decent enough to offer to put us up in a b&b as it was during all that snow. i wont go into purses for fighters but all i can tell u is its the last thing i'm thinking about when i'm offered a chance to fight . so theres a fair bit of expence involved , and of course fingers crossed you keep yourself in 1 piece and dont have any injuries trainin or fightin ,but is it any more than a guy who plays golf, surfs, gaa players , a guy who likes cars or plays in a band pays for his sport/pastime i dunno , but i'm gettin ready to do it all again and i've no illusions dana white gonna be ringin me anytime soon and cant wait:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Kieran81 wrote: »
    it certainly adds up , when i fight i train 6 days a week for 8 weeks before a fight, this means 30 min drive to and from gym each time and i'd be surprised if there wasnt guys travellin twice that journey around the country in the various gyms . this also means overtime is knocked on the head , but not much of that these days either to be fair... recession happening apparently! weigh in means taking a day off work for me anyway as there almost always on a friday. usually this means a spin to the place where weigh in taking place too and back. as for supplements for me its about 50quid a month including a discount from a shop who our gym deal with and i only use a recovery drink and a protein supp , not much compared to lots of guys . any promoter of a show i've been on has offered commision on any tickets i sell , a show before xmas was decent enough to offer to put us up in a b&b as it was during all that snow. i wont go into purses for fighters but all i can tell u is its the last thing i'm thinking about when i'm offered a chance to fight . so theres a fair bit of expence involved , and of course fingers crossed you keep yourself in 1 piece and dont have any injuries trainin or fightin ,but is it any more than a guy who plays golf, surfs, gaa players , a guy who likes cars or plays in a band pays for his sport/pastime i dunno , but i'm gettin ready to do it all again and i've no illusions dana white gonna be ringin me anytime soon and cant wait:D

+1

I've never known anybody to ask how much when offered a fight.

From experience I've always been offered a bnb or hotel when I was on a show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What about insurance? Like if ya ended up with a busted arm, do you have to pay for the insurance or is that the job of the promoter

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Chris Dowling

All reputable promotors have insurance for the event, both for the competitors and the public viewing the event along with comprehensive medical staff on site usualy a Dr and a paramedic team ensuring te safty of the fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

All reputable promotors have insurance for the event, both for the competitors and the public viewing the event along with comprehensive medical staff on site usualy a Dr and a paramedic team ensuring te safty of the fighters.

Not too sure about this info tbh.

I don't know of any promotion that has insurance cover for fighters. At CC events we have public liability cover for £10m. I'm not sure what the other promotions have in place.

We have a minimum of 4 paramedics with 2 ambulance for fighters and 1 paramedic crew for crowd cover at all events. The reason I have 2 ambulance is that if one god forbid has to leave in a fighter emergency the event can continue with the second crew.

To answer the question about hotels etc CC give the same to both Pro and Semi pro fighters. We have our own system in place for looking after fighters, be under no illusion they are the most important thing on my shows. Without these fighters (Pro and Semi Pro) there is no show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

fightie wrote: »
    ....... At CC events we have public liability cover for £10m........

So if I push SJ ovr and she cracks her head or breaks a leg wer set for 10 mil :D:D:D .......nice ;)

More serious issue is I do believe a gesture shud be given to those travellin far...... wev discussed this before but amat to pro some of these guys put in as much effort as the othr:confused:

Urs
    x

Not too sure about this info tbh.

which part of my comment are you not sure about?

which part of my comment are you not sure about?

Your comment re insurance cover for fighters, which promotions do this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Your comment re insurance cover for fighters, which promotions do this?
    No insurance company could possibly insure 24 fighters for a full contact event that the insured wouldn't know or be able to give guarantees about. A promoter needs public liability and the club should have a comprehensive martial arts policy to protect the fighter.

If this were true, then the policy would either cost too much to allow the event to run, or the policy would be basically worthless and conditioned to a great extent. My advice to any fighter or potential fighter would be to make sure your club is with an insurance provider with such a policy rather than constantly looking to promotions.

There's a general air of shoot the promoter on this board a lot of the time and I think John gets the worst of it thanks to being the only major one active on the board. Look in your own closet first folks and then once it's clean and you're sure your club doesn't do anything unsafe or uninsured, then start questioning others.

Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Surely its a standard across all clubs in ireland to have insurance for members?
    Or is it crazy expensive and only the big ones can afford it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

That's grand for training and maybe the odd competition, but not many policies will cover professional human cock fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

No insurance company could possibly insure 24 fighters for a full contact event that the insured wouldn't know or be able to give guarantees about. A promoter needs public liability and the club should have a comprehensive martial arts policy to protect the fighter.

If this were true, then the policy would either cost too much to allow the event to run, or the policy would be basically worthless and conditioned to a great extent. My advice to any fighter or potential fighter would be to make sure your club is with an insurance provider with such a policy rather than constantly looking to promotions.

There's a general air of shoot the promoter on this board a lot of the time and I think John gets the worst of it thanks to being the only major one active on the board. Look in your own closet first folks and then once it's clean and you're sure your club doesn't do anything unsafe or uninsured, then start questioning others.

Barry

Barry i run some Sanshou/Kuoshu competitions which are all FULL CONTACT and all the fighters are insured...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    Barry i run some Sanshou/Kuoshu competitions which are all FULL CONTACT and all the fighters are insured...

I'm a bit thick when it comes to insurance. Do you mean they are insured for personal injury?

OLDMAN1 wrote: »

Are these guys insured under a club policy? or a promotion policy? i'm not doubting, just very interested:)

Are these guys insured under a club policy? or a promotion policy? i'm not doubting, just very interested:)

I dont know if there insured under a club policy or not, thats the reason that i take out the insurance(for one day), my guys are covered under a club policy aswell,but just because someone says that there insured under a club polcy! doesn't mean they are and at the end of the day the buck stops with me,I know the company that i use wont insure mma, i had enough trouble getting them to insure Sanshou/Kuoshu.I also have public liability cover for £10m (it sounds alot but thats standard now ).

Tim: they are insured for personal injury, now its not the type that if a guy gets his nose broken he gets X amount of money, but (GOD FORGIVE)some one breaks there neck and is parylised for life, they have to sue someone, now i will be changing insurance companys in the near future not because of any problem , purely because i can now get insurance through a world body...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

straying a bit here, but are mma clubs out there actually insured as mma clubs as opposed to say a kickboxing gym or a karate gym, basically i'm interested on the disclosure thats given to insurance companies when initially getting an insurance policy

Kieran81 wrote: »
    straying a bit here, but are mma clubs out there actually insured as mma clubs as opposed to say a kickboxing gym or a karate gym, basically i'm interested on the disclosure thats given to insurance companies when initially getting an insurance policy

If there not giving full disclosure to the insurance company in what there doing, then they and there students are not insured and they are paying money just to say that they have a peice of paper..

Club policy is ameded by the Insurance company for the day of the event to cover the fighters and increased to cover the public liability of the spectators officals etc in the premises on the day.

Advertisement