Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco EPC 2425 + which router would ye recommend?

• 07-01-2011 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

SO im looking at getting a new router cos the epc2425 wireless performance is awful.

What are people using on here or do ye have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I was in the same situation as you on monday, after lots and lots of research, i decided to get the linksys E3000, It's really easy to set up and the wireless performance is great. I bought it from pixmania. I got it bundled with the wireless n adapter for €120. The adapter was only €1 when bought with the router. p.s. i would post the link but i can't load pixmania for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme with the SA2203 modem. Cost €150 but i'm more than happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

what sort of range and speeds are ye getting. Not detailed stuff...just like it has full power in the next room and can stream HD video etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

well, the closest i could do to a test at the moment was a speed test on my iPad. My E3000 is upstairs and i tested the connection wirelessly downstairs about 20 metres away through about 4 walls. And i got a steady 24mb result. That speed would be compared to the <12mb that i was getting in the exact same place with the cisco modem.

Anyone fiddle with the WNDR3700 or the RT-N56U?

• Advertisement

Best price for a latest version WNDR3700 in a bricks and mortor shop was was 189 in PC World.

The Asus Rt-N56U was 99 euro in PC World. I dunno is this was a special or a mistake but i grabbed it off the shelf leaving just one there. It costs alot more online.

anyhoo if anyone is interested is a non generic review http://techfeen.com/asus-rt-n56u/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Do you have a phone with UPC too? I've seen mention in some threads that using a different router can cause the phone to have issues.

I have broadband only. No phone. I do believe it will disabled your phone.

there must be a solution to this though. I'd give. UPC a call. You might get one of the new or older routers from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

iknorr wrote: »
    Best price for a latest version WNDR3700 in a bricks and mortor shop was was 189 in PC World.

The Asus Rt-N56U was 99 euro in PC World. I dunno is this was a special or a mistake but i grabbed it off the shelf leaving just one there. It costs alot more online.

anyhoo if anyone is interested is a non generic review http://techfeen.com/asus-rt-n56u/
    Looks like an awesome piece of kit. PC World were out of them on Saturday. Does anyone know of any other place that stocks them?

So there are a few bugs with the device at the mo.

i have been in contact with asus about it.

I tested some of their in house firmware and they fixed the problems, only to cause another problem.

But id imagine the new firmware would be out this week.

Either way right now it seems to be running ok. I havent had any issues since i reverted to an older firmware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Hi, After 3 weeks of phone calls, hope fully I have convined UPC to take back the 2425 and give me a modem only. I have a couple of Netgear dg834's lying around. Could these be used as a wireless router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Pataman wrote: »
    I have a couple of Netgear dg834's lying around. Could these be used as a wireless router?

As long as you disable everything (WAN, DHCP, NAT, firewall etc.) except wireless on the Netgear and plug a cable from the Cisco LAN port to the Netgear LAN port then yes it should be fine. Give the Netgear an IP outside the DHCP range managed by the Cisco.

Thanks for the quick reply. I want it for port forwarding. Does that work?

Thanks for the quick reply. I want it for port forwarding. Does that work?

You'd have to manage the port forwarding in the Cisco.

Stupid question, would the router not handle the port forwarding rather than the modem?

Stupid question, would the router not handle the port forwarding rather than the modem?

The Cisco is a Modem + Router + Wireless in the one unit. You'd only be using the Netgear as a wireless access point. The Netgear only routes between it's ADSL port and the network. You won't be using the ADSL port on the Netgear.

Thanks for your reply. I am giving back the cisco 2425( modem/router/wireless) and they are giving me a cisco 2203 modem.

Thanks for your reply. I am giving back the cisco 2425( modem/router/wireless) and they are giving me a cisco 2203 modem.

Aaahh sorry. You're f****d so. You'll need to get a proper router as opposed to an ADSL one.

ok, cool thanks

Advertisement