Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any courses you can combine Psychology and English?

• 07-01-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Doing my Leaving Cert in 5 months.

I'm hoping to do Arts in either NUIM or UCD where I will study English, Psychology and one more subject (probably Sociology).

I was wondering has anyone come across courses that you can combine English and Psychology as an alternative I could put on my CAO. When I spoke to my ex-form teacher (who I knew very well) he suggested I do something like that and after a bit of research Arts degrees were the only courses I could find, which teach the two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

karaokeman wrote: »
    I was wondering has anyone come across courses that you can combine English and Psychology as an alternative I could put on my CAO.
    Arts in NUIG.I'd say an Arts course would be the only one where you could combine the two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭soup1

yeh. . .psychology and english as part of the TSM program in Trinity. . .points are always around 560. . .more prestigious than doing an arts degree i would have thought :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You could do Sociology and Psychology in UL, its 475 I think...You certainly would not get the same out of an arts course that only offers a few modules in it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

soup1 wrote: »
    yeh. . .psychology and english as part of the TSM program in Trinity. . .points are always around 560. . .more prestigious than doing an arts degree i would have thought :/
    That'd be your best bet, yeap. You end up with a Bachelor's in both at the end of the 4 years.

theowen wrote: »
    That'd be your best bet, yeap. You end up with a Bachelor's in both at the end of the 4 years.
    no you dont. . .only the one you major in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

soup1 wrote: »
    no you dont. . .only the one you major in :)
    "TSM is a joint honors degree that allows students to choose two subjects (from a list of 25) and study both to honors degree level."

I don't think so. You have study both for three years, and then decide whether to continue with both for fourth year or major in one alone for fourth year. Either way you get a level 8 in both. It wouldn't make much sense spending 4 years just to get a level 7 in both?

theowen wrote: »
    "TSM is a joint honors degree that allows students to choose two subjects (from a list of 25) and study both to honors degree level."

I don't think so. You have study both for three years, and then decide whether to continue with both for fourth year or major in one alone for fourth year. Either way you get a level 8 in both. It wouldn't make much sense spending 4 years just to get a level 7 in both?
    A level 7? what? You pick two subjects, do boht fro three years, then you must decide to major in one, and minor in the other! Its as simple as that :) You are awarded a full degree in your major and a pass degree in your minor

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The BA in Mary Immaculate College (Limerick) allows you to choose English and Psychology (you study 4 subjects in first year). You have to come in the top 30 in First Psychology to be allowed continue with it in 2nd and subsequent years though. The course is accredited by the Psychological Society of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Bear in mind, if you do Psychology in arts it can be quite difficult to get into second year so aiming for a direct entry course might be a better idea if you want to continue with Psychology, although obviously this will impact on your chance to study english.

Advertisement