Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish Pie

Options
  • 07-01-2011 6:57pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone might be able to help!

I'm trying to find and nice but very simple fish pie recipe! All the google searches in the world are useless so I'm hoping someone might be able link me or preferably give a recipe to me?

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Have a little look in the cooking club for Olala's fish recipe from a few months back.

Here is what I do. You can mix it up a little to suit yourself. [And for the record, the reason I always cook the fish first is because when I've not done that in the past, the excess water from the raw fish has caused the sauce underneath to be runny.]

I take a selection of raw prawns, salmon and whitefish, maybe including a smoked fillet. Be generous with the fish portions, people always eat lots of this.

Then I lightly grill or poach the fish in milk, and flake it. I then flash fry the prawns, maybe with some garlic.

Then I flake the fish into chunks and combine with the prawns. To this I add fresh cream, grated cheddar, snipped chives and plenty of seasoning (go lightly with the salt if you've used smoked fish). Sometimes I add a handful of frozen peas too, sometimes not.

(Others like to make a roux-based white sauce, but having tried both, I prefer just a little cream.)

Meanwhile have your spuds on the go. When tender, mash with butter and milk until smooth and creamy.

Put your fish mixture in a casserole dish. Top with mashed potato. Scour the top with a fork and sprinkle on some more grated cheddar.

Bake in a preheated oven at 180 until golden and bubbling. Eat with lots of green veg. Mmm.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Thank you so much! That sounds really delicious and just what I was looking for! Going to try it tomorrow so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Glad you like the look of it! Let us know how you get on.

If you want to try a more chunky textured version here is Olala's version.

damn you neuro... now I dont know what one to go with.. :p mash on top is pulling me slightly so I'm going to go with yours first and see how it goes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

my recipe is very similar but for some reason it has 2 hard boiled eggs in it . chopped and added to the cooked fish. seems to work if you want added " substance " , its a delia smith recipe i use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

my recipe is very similar but for some reason it has 2 hard boiled eggs in it . chopped and added to the cooked fish. seems to work if you want added " substance " , its a delia smith recipe i use.

I have seen a few recipes from English chefs with boiled egg in them, but never Irish ones. Must be more of a tradition in England.

I also add a few veg - peas, leeks or mushrooms are nice. You need to sweat off the leeks or mushrooms for a few minutes first.

Neven Maguires recipe is good. Similar to all the advice given above.

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes/christmas/pages/creamyfishpiewithprawns.aspx

I'm going to do this today so will be back later with pics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

[And for the record, the reason I always cook the fish first is because when I've not done that in the past, the excess water from the raw fish has caused the sauce underneath to be runny.]

And suddenly the reason for my "runny" fish pies is so very, very clear- thanks for that!

so here we go... have to admit it smells absolutely amazing!!

here is it before the potato top:

DSCF3089.jpg

and this is it now after I have just taken it out of the oven to cool.

DSCF3092.jpg

Neuro thanx a mill for your recipe! it was a fantastic guideline. I didn't change too much about it! :)

EDIT... Neuro Praxi.. I ment to tell you that I didn't use cream at all and it was the most delicious and creamy dishes ever!! :) I just used milk, butter and a spoon of sour cream, and I also used the milk that I fried the fish in...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Have a little look in the cooking club for Olala's fish recipe from a few months back.

Here is what I do. You can mix it up a little to suit yourself. [And for the record, the reason I always cook the fish first is because when I've not done that in the past, the excess water from the raw fish has caused the sauce underneath to be runny.]

I take a selection of raw prawns, salmon and whitefish, maybe including a smoked fillet. Be generous with the fish portions, people always eat lots of this.

Then I lightly grill or poach the fish in milk, and flake it. I then flash fry the prawns, maybe with some garlic.

Then I flake the fish into chunks and combine with the prawns. To this I add fresh cream, grated cheddar, snipped chives and plenty of seasoning (go lightly with the salt if you've used smoked fish). Sometimes I add a handful of frozen peas too, sometimes not.

(Others like to make a roux-based white sauce, but having tried both, I prefer just a little cream.)

Meanwhile have your spuds on the go. When tender, mash with butter and milk until smooth and creamy.

Put your fish mixture in a casserole dish. Top with mashed potato. Scour the top with a fork and sprinkle on some more grated cheddar.

Bake in a preheated oven at 180 until golden and bubbling. Eat with lots of green veg. Mmm.

There are two pies I make and it's either pretty much indentical to this one, or I use Galton Blackiston's recipe, which is also amazing.

Taken from here.

Ingredients

For the mash topping

1.25 kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and chunkily chopped
    1 large knob of butter
    4 tbsp double cream
    3 egg yolks

For the filling

200 g undyed smoked haddock, kept whole, with skin on
    900 ml milk
    1 sprigs rosemary
    1 onion, sliced
    200 g salmon, skinned and cubed
    200 g cod fillets, skinned and cubed
    12 king-size scallops
    1 monkfish tail, membrane removed and diced chunkily
    200 g cooked large prawns, peeled
    3 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
    3 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and chopped

For the sauce

125 g butter, diced
    100 g plain flour
    550 ml whipping cream
    4 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    Conversion Calculator

Method
    1. For the mashed potato: place the potatoes into a saucepan of cold salted water, bring to the boil. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are very soft. Drain and leave in the colander to extract as much liquid as possible.

3. Put the warm potatoes through a sieve into a bowl and beat in the butter, cream and egg yolks, check the seasoning and set aside.

4. For the filling: place the smoked haddock into a shallow saucepan together with 600ml of the milk, the rosemary and onion and bring to a simmer over a moderate heat. Poach for 3-5 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove the poached haddock from the milk with a slotted spoon and set aside. When cool remove the skin and flake chunkily. Repeat this poaching process in the same milk, firstly with the salmon cubes and then with the cubes of cod.

5. Once you have poached the fish, strain the milk into a jug, add the remaining milk and set this aside.

6. Heat a non-stick fying pan over a high heat, add a splash of oil and quickly sear the scallops on each side, just enough to colour them. Do the same with the chunks of monkfish.

7. Arrange all the fish in the bottom of a 2 litre baking dish, layering where necessary. Top with the capers and chopped eggs. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.

8. For the sauce: melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the flour and cook over a medium heat for a couple of minutes to make a roux. Now pour in the strained milk, with the saucepan still on the heat, beat continuously until you have a thick béchamel-type sauce. Beat in the whipping cream and heat again stirring continuously.

9. Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the parsley and lemon juice. Pour this mixture over the fish in the dish and cover with the mash.

11. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the mash is tinged golden-brown and the filling is hot right through when pierced in the centre with a skewer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DubDubStep

Hi, i did this pie last weekend. My fiance loved did - nevertheless i didn't do it well:(.
    I found here recipe for this fish pie. (<-click)
    I was doing it for the first time, so it took me 1hour to prepare (in recipe it's 40 minutes).
    I was baking it for exactly 25 minutes as in recipe, but it was half-baked:( I think i had smaller temp:(. It's was good...but could be better:) Next time will be better for sure :D

Advertisement