Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours of study in 5th year?

• 07-01-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi, im in 5th year and Im basically doing no study whatsoever.
    How many hours study should i be doing?
    Should I be freaking out? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Up until Christmas I was doing about 3 hours a night including a tiny bit of homework (I don't get much). I think that was too much though so I think an hour and a half plus homework is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I studied a good bit for tests but other than that I didn't open a book :rolleyes:
    I think I'll do an hour plus homework after Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

I'm pretty sure the general consensus from anyone who's ever done the Leavng is that 'it's like a marathon' and 'save yourself for a strong finish'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Totally agree with above post , dont burn yourself out .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

The universal answer, I find, is 'enough'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

During 5th year, what I did after homework was I looked over everything I did that day, made sure i understood everything, wrote down what I thought was important on little cards, and went over them again at the weekend. Then every few weeks just take out one or two of the old ones to test yourself on. I don't like the word "study", it immediately makes me shut down and go ugh can't do this! But if you're doing something as small as that in 5th year, it keeps it ticking over, at least. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

For 5th year I feel doing major amounts of study isn't really the best approach. A better idea is to make sure you do all your homework, understand everything in class throughly, and if you want to go the extra mile maybe make easy to understand notes so when you have to start studying a lot more next year you've the notes ready to give you a headstart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Hi, im in 5th year and Im basically doing no study whatsoever.
    How many hours study should i be doing?
    Should I be freaking out? :eek:

Nah you shouldn't be freaking out!. Personally, I study every evening for about 2 to 3 hours. People tell me i'm doing too much but I don't really care. I feel better about studying then I would sitting watching Simpsons and getting the grief from my parents. I'm evening my workload out so I won't be under a serious amount of pressure next year. I've just taken up Economics to try and help my points increase so I will probably be doing a lot more studying.

I try and divide Monday- Thursday up so I do at 2 subjects a day. Eg on Monday I do Geography and English, Tuesday: French and Business etc. I've noticed i'm letting Maths and Irish fall a bit as i'm doing pass and find them quite easy. I ussually decide to study a particular topic in the evenings and do exam questions instead of doing an hour of one subect and then changing for another hour..

I'm ploughing serious time into Geography and Business as I really need at least A2's from them. It's hard to study English and Music sometimes as I don't know what to do for them..

Anyway best of luck with your luck and hopefully come Leaving Cert. 2012 we will all get what we want..

Advertisement