Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pipe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

They're not creating any more jobs than if we had done it ourselves. They will leave the place in 10-20 years time in an absolute mess and when they revoke all their operations in that area, and will leave 1000's of people unemployed in that area, such as what Dell done in Limerick.

only problem with this statement is that they will never employ more than a handful of people in the area, so they will not leave 1000's unemployed they will just leave destruction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

mayotom wrote: »
    only problem with this statement is that they will never employ more than a handful of people in the area, so they will not leave 1000's unemployed they will just leave destruction

Well if 100 people is a "handful", then you've big hands. Plenty of towns would be very grateful for 100 jobs that would last for 20 years at least.

Also, if you call the improved roads and infrastructure (that would otherwise never be in place) "destruction", then I guess your right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

This film "The Pipe" is been shown on tg4 @ 9.30 next wednesday night 9th feb;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is this available to watch online anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Surely its more than just about economics. What about the ability to be able to protest in a democracy rather than just big business wants big business gets? What about the fishermen?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ciaran67 wrote: »
    What about the ability to be able to protest in a democracy...
    Who's stopping anyone from protesting?
    ...rather than just big business wants big business gets?
    So Shell have been granted every single thing they've ever asked for, without question, since the project started?
    What about the fishermen?
    What about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

MeerKat17 wrote: »
    I haven't seen the film yet but can't wait!
    It's shameful what has been done to our country, I don't understand why more people aren't outraged by this whole situation. There is reportedly 5.4 trillion euro's worth of oil and gas off the west coast of Ireland, which was GIVEN away for pittance to Shell to line the pockets of slimy fat cats such as Charles Haughey and the rest of their so called "Republican Party". Shell doesn't have to pay any royalties to Ireland for raping us of our natural resources. We don't even get a better deal in our oil and gas consumption. Nothing. Shell get it, they keep the money, steal the oil, and bleed us dry. Anyone who was involved in this so called negotiation should be hung, drawn and quartered for all to see. Prison would be too good for them.

As if that is not enough to piss people off, Shell have a terrible track record for health and safety not so it is no wonder residence in the near by vicinity have great concerns for the saftey and well being of their families. They have the right to petition the pipeline and what is being done to them for doing so? Of course, they are being arrested. We don't have freedom of speech in Ireland when multinationals are involved.
    And then to insult our intelligence further, when the people of Ireland did cop on and start to boycott Shell's petrol stations (Statoil), what did Shell do....they changed their name to Topaz! Of course! Because we're all a bunch of thick stupid Paddy's we'll definitely fall for that one. :mad:

The whole system is corrupt and disgusting. Anyone who can argue in Shell's favour should be ashamed of themselves.

Well, the blasted state influenced media (call it censoring if you want) is shielding the true story from the populace. one's got to search high and low for a proper handle on this lamentable saga.

read this - its staggering!

http://bocktherobber.com/2008/07/the-oil-company-the-crooked-politician-and-the-theft-of-irelands-energy-resources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DuckSubmarine

The film highlights the plight of certain members of the community for sure; particularly the fishermen. The tragic thing about it is the unwavering nature of the progress going on around those who never dreamed of such an imposition on their lives. Shell are simply the necessesary scapegoat and cannot really be blamed for acting within the liberally placed confines placed around them by naive government policy (Shell did not help themselves for refusing to take part in the filming). If anybody is to be blamed, it is the government for selling us out. I digress. The star of the film is undoubtedly 'The Chief' and goes a long way to making an icon of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Absolutely appalled at this.....and after a lot of postitive work it appears that some dust had settled between protesters and Shell/ An Garda Siochana.

Heads are gonna roll on this one....

A SENIOR garda officer has been appointed to investigate the treatment of two women who were arrested during protests over the Corrib gas project late last week. Members of the force were inadvertently recorded on a video camera they had earlier confiscated joking about threatening to deport and rape one of the women who had refused to give her name to officers.

The video camera was not fully switched off after it was seized by gardaí and it recorded exchanges between several gardaí in the vehicle in which they were travelling.

The two women were arrested on a public road last Thursday about 30 minutes after one of them had been taken down from the roof of a tractor hired for Shell’s preparatory work on the Corrib gas pipeline at Aughoose.

Link here

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0405/1224293869954.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Heres the video:
    http://vimeo.com/21952231

It happens at about 13.30. It was not directed at anyone, nobody was told they were going to be raped. Its a few Gardai joking among themselves, there were only other gardai in the car. Its unprofessional, but the media will make a meal of it.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Heres the video:
    http://vimeo.com/21952231

It happens at about 13.30. It was not directed at anyone, nobody was told they were going to be raped. Its a few Gardai joking among themselves, there were only other gardai in the car. Its unprofessional, but the media will make a meal of it.

I think it's slightly more than unprofessional....peace keepers and the custodians of the law joking about rape, I'm not laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

finisklin wrote: »
    I think it's slightly more than unprofessional....peace keepers and the custodians of the law joking about rape, I'm not laughing.

I love the way it's only the Gardai who are subtitled. All it is banter

It was foolish and inappropriate, but its not threatening or abusive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It is bloody stupidity to the highest regard, if you heard it in a school yard you would shake your head at it, but for the love of God what adults joke about rape.
    Its disgusting and uncalled for.

Listening to the conversation in general I have to say the whole thing sounds like something off a Father Ted show.

Big whoop about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Thargor wrote: »
    Big whoop about nothing.

Guards joking about raping protesters is nothing?? Good man, shows how enlightened you are.

Im enlightened enough to know how young lads talk to each other, its not worth getting hysterical over.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Guards joking about raping protesters is nothing?? Good man, shows how enlightened you are.

but guards worrying about how their actions are perceived in court is a much bigger issue, they use common sense and lawyers make a mockery of it, the legal profession/judiciary/PC brigade are destroying this country

It's not nothing - it's stupid and unprofessional - but it's being blown out of all proportion.

Thargor wrote: »
    Im enlightened enough to know how young lads talk to each other, its not worth getting hysterical over.

Who's getting hysterical?? Young lads do not generally talk about rape in those terms from my experience, maybe you hang about with mysoginistic ignoramuses who do? Says more about you really.

• Advertisement

mayotom wrote: »
    but guards worrying about how their actions are perceived in court is a much bigger issue, they use common sense and lawyers make a mockery of it, the legal profession/judiciary/PC brigade are destroying this country

**** sake, care to expand on that? how exactly are the judiciary destroying this country and what is your alternative to an independent judiciary? As for pc brigade, what do you mesn? So to object to guards trivialising rape is pc now is it?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's not nothing - it's stupid and unprofessional - but it's being blown out of all proportion.

So how do you think a woman in Mayo would feel tonight if she was the victim of a rape or sexual assault and had to go the local gardai? What exactly is been blown out of proportion?

One of the protestors in question was on Primetime last night....she came across upset as the comments were in relation to her and her fellow protestor. She was not laughing, didn't perceive the comments as banter and was quite upset by it all. The fact that there are two separate investigations into this matter reflect the seriousness of it.

These comments should not have been made in this context and by on duty gardai (would it make a difference if they were off duty, possibly dependent on context). The only outcome/recommendation is a red card with some made to walk, IMHO. That is how serious this matter is......

So how do you think a woman in Mayo would feel tonight if she was the victim of a rape or sexual assault and had to go the local gardai?
    I would imagine she would be pretty traumatised by the assault. I doubt that a tasteless joke between a couple of Gardaí would have too much effect on her decision on whether or not to report it.

I'm aware that I'm settting myself up for a lambasting here, and that the safer option is to join the herd in baying for blood and demanding that the someone's career, and by extension their life, be destroyed for an off-the-cuff remark in what he believed to be a private situation, but I'm sorry - I don't see it that way.

The presumption is that a Guard who would joke about rape is, necessarily, a Guard who doesn't believe that rape is a serious problem. If you genuinely believe that, then - with respect - you don't understand humour.
    What exactly is been blown out of proportion?
    The conflation of a stupid, unprofessional, tasteless joke with the presumption that the joker is, at best, someone who condones rape, and at worst, a rapist. That's blowing it out of proportion.

People in difficult, stressful and life-threatening jobs deal with the stress through gallows humour - in private. If you think that gallows humour is a sacking offence, I'd hate to work for you.

There is a lot of stuff that falls into the banter category. Two Gards joking about rape doesnt, or shouldnt. Its hard enough to get women to go into a police station and report such an awful crime without these fine examples of the law showing how trivial they believe it to be.

...how trivial they believe it to be.
    ...or, more accurately, how trivial you believe they believe it to be.

If a paramedic makes (private) jokes about car crashes, does that mean that he doesn't take crash victims' injuries seriously, and that he should be fired?

...or, more accurately, how trivial you believe they believe it to be.

If a paramedic makes (private) jokes about car crashes, does that mean that he doesn't take crash victims' injuries seriously, and that he should be fired?

Car crashes are accidents, rape isnt.

Anyway im not tit-for-tatting with you. I believe rape to one of the vilest of crimes and find it a bit much the people there employed to stop it finding it funny.

People do joke about lots of crude things, Japanese tsunami's, Pakistani flooding, Pedophiles, Blacks, Ethiopians. Maybe some of you people should take a visit to the Nein 11 forum to realize this.

Car crashes are accidents, rape isnt.
    That's the most bizarre distinction I've ever seen.
    I believe rape to one of the vilest of crimes and find it a bit much the people there employed to stop it finding it funny.
    I agree with you. If I thought the Gardaí in question thought the actual crime of rape was funny, I'd be demanding their scalps too.

My girlfriend is Danish. When her family come to visit, I crack jokes about the Vikings coming to Ireland to resume the campaign of rape and pillage. By the "logic" being espoused in relation to this story, she should have left me long ago, as I'm clearly someone who finds rape funny.

All I'm asking for is a sense of perspective. People are asking to have careers and livelihoods destroyed because of a stupid and tasteless joke told in private. When did we get this hysterical?

• Advertisement

When did we get this hysterical?

This is such a divisive issue and IMO there is no degrees of humour to rape dependent on the context that makes it funny in setting the scene. In some respects posters are indicating that it is akin to a scene from Fr Ted and I am sure Graham Linehan couldn't have scripted it better.

However this humour doesn't take account of the following;
    • The girls that the gardai referred to found it insulting, vile.
    • Two inquiries are underway with calls for a third independent one.
    • Rape victims and support organisations have expressed their concerns about law enforcers attitude to violent crime.
    • A portion of the population that don't find gardai joking about rape while en route to a Garda station to process two female protesters.
    • Significant question marks over the policing methods employed by the Garda in the Corrib Gas project.
    Humour can be expressed in many ways with the punch line dependent on the set up, context, backdrop and so on to encourage laughter etc. However hard one tries to explain this as banter to victims of violent assult and rape, I just think it is an up hill debate that can't be won. Rape is a crime that is unforgivable and carries a hefty punishment (someone would argue it is still not enough). Indeed consider the arm of James Nolan that was found recently in Dollymount, not many people had sympathy for him.

http://lostchildreninthewilderness.wordpress.com/2011/03/30/dollymount-beach-dublin-fed-to-the-fishes-dismembered-arm-of-rapistburglar-identified-by-gardai/

This is the face of a crime that IMO is not funny and I am just uncomfortable even with the use of word in general.

Anyway each to their own......

Advertisement