Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pipe

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

yop wrote: »
    The same people who spend their lives tied to trees or sitting outside a gasfield live in that world I am afraid. In the case of Corrib I doubt if 1/2 of them are even Irish, never mind been from Mayo.

reminds me of this

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

finisklin wrote: »
    They're not entitled to express concern about RAPE banter that their custodians are making while bringing them to a Garda station?
    They can express whatever they want; that wasn't my point. In case it wasn't clear, my point is that someone who has been arrested for a public order offence subsequently claiming to be deeply distressed by the actions of the arresting officer isn't the black-and-white issue some people would like to believe it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Why dont we all agree to disagree?

This is going on longer than an Easter Sunday Charlton Heston film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

oscarBravo wrote: »
    They can express whatever they want; that wasn't my point. In case it wasn't clear, my point is that someone who has been arrested for a public order offence subsequently claiming to be deeply distressed by the actions of the arresting officer isn't the black-and-white issue some people would like to believe it is.

I think that you have to take people's concerns on board and take them at face value especially if you are a guard and in a situation where someone is in your care. Making inferences and undermining complaints or distressed scenarios is unprofessional. There are several cases where people have died in Garda custody or involving Garda members in circumstances where questions remain unanswered. This is an extreme and unrelated example but a Garda role is a serious one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Why dont we all agree to disagree?

This is going on longer than an Easter Sunday Charlton Heston film.

I dont agree that its like an Easter Sunday Charlton film ..... :p

• Advertisement

I think that you have to take people's concerns on board...
    Absolutely.
    ...and take them at face value...
    Absolutely not. Do you think that every single person who has ever yelled "police brutality!" has actually suffered at the hands of the police?

I'm not saying that these women aren't distressed. I'm saying that the fact that they are claiming to be distressed doesn't prove anything. It's not like they don't have a vested interest in trying to damage the Erris policing operation in any way they can.

The point that I'm trying to make is not to assume anything but to have an open mind. The women in question have feeling's and are probably the one's whose opinion counts the most in this debate as if they weren't being brought to the station then the comments would never have been made.

Certainly there opinion counts more than mine, IMHO.

We'll agree to differ. Eilis O'Hanlon puts it better than I ever could.

It's a subjective topic and Eilis O'Hanlon is entitled to hers and the fact that its in a national newspaper makes it no more or no less valid.

Whatever about a Charlton Heston film, this debate is turning into the Longest Day. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 moreandmoran

i think everyone needs to chill the beans down there..no one will ever win cz the locals will never change either wil the gardai or the big multi national companies..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

oscarBravo wrote: »
    We'll agree to differ. Eilis O'Hanlon puts it better than I ever could.

Eilis O'Hanlon, has put it into real terms.... its time for the nation to move on and look at issues that really affect the people of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

mayotom wrote: »
    Eilis O'Hanlon, has put it into real terms.... its time for the nation to move on and look at issues that really affect the people of Ireland

Enough said. Despicable **** stirrer.

A picture says a thousand words (and more elequently that I ever could!) ;)

?action=view&current=MayoShell.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

A picture says a thousand words (and more elequently that I ever could!) ;)

MayoShell.jpg

That image is really missing a 'Down with that sort of thing' sign.

bandit197 wrote: »
    That image is really missing a 'Down with that sort of thing' sign.

Yeah it is a bit understated alright......tree huggers......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

look at the state of them, they are just jealous cause they can't get any

It's still rumbling.....

Shell To Sea Take Issue With Minister Shatter Friday, 15 April 2011 08:26 SHELL TO SEA HAS REJECTED ACCUSATIONS MADE BY JUSTICE MINISTER ALAN SHATTER IN WESTPORT EARLIER THIS WEEK, THAT CAMPAIGNERS HAD “EXPLOITED” THE RECENT CONTROVERSY OVER COMMENTS ABOUT RAPE MADE BY GARDAÍ.

DUBLIN SHELL TO SEA SPOKESPERSON CAOIMHE KERRINS INSISTS SEVERAL INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANISATIONS HAVE BEEN HIGHLY CRITICAL OF POLICING OF THE CORRIB GAS PROJECT. THESE INCLUDE FRONT LINE, WHICH PUBLISHED A REPORT IN APRIL 2010 FOLLOWING AN INVESTIGATION BY BARRISTER BRIAN BARRINGTON.

SHE SAYS THAT MINISTER SHATTER CAN THEN BLAME CAMPAIGNERS FOR MAKING THE GARDAÍ LOOK BAD, BEGGARS BELIEF AND CONCLUDES THAT “SHELL TO SEA ARE APPALLED BY HIS RESPONSE TO THE CONTROVERSY”.

SPEAKING ON WEDNESDAY AT THE GARDA CONFERENCE, MR SHATTER HAD CRITICISED WHAT HE CALLED “ATTEMPTS BY SOME INVOLVED IN THE CORRIB DISPUTE TO EXPLOIT THIS INCIDENT WITH THE AIM OF UNDERMINING TRUST IN THE GARDA SÍOCHÁNA AND OF COMPROMISING THE POLICING OF THE DISPUTE.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

mayotom wrote: »
    look at the state of them, they are just jealous cause they can't get any

get any what tom?

On a positive note

Top European award for ‘An Píopa’

Mayo Advertiser, April 18, 2011.
    Two prestigious documentaries for TG4 have beaten off strong competition to take a major prize and win a commendation at Circom, the network of regional European broadcasters meeting in Frederikstad, Norway.
    An Píopa (The Pipe), commissioned by TG4 with funding from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and from Irish Film Board, won the Best Documentary category and Gualainn le Gualainn, the television history of Irish rugby, won a commendation in the Sports category.
    This is the latest major international award for An Píopa, director Risteárd Ó Domhnaill’s documentary chronicling the story of the small Rossport community, some of whose members have taken on the might of Shell Oil and the Irish authorities. It has already won the prestigious Audience Award for Best Feature-Length Documentary at the 2010 Galway Film Fleadh and the documentary category at the recent 2011 Irish Film and Television Awards (IFTA) and is also shortlisted for this week’s Celtic Media Festival being held in Scotland.
    Gualainn le Gualainn is a four-part television history of Irish rugby from the birth of the sport on the playing fields of Trinity College in 1854 up to the glorious Grand Slam triumph in Wales’ Millennium Stadium in 2009. It was produced by Fastnet Films and broadcast on TG4 in November/December 2010.
    Circom is the European-wide federation of regional television broadcasters and has a membership of some 300 television stations spread across 38 states. Its programme competition for the best and most original work from all of its members is one of Europe’s most prestigious and is keenly contested.

And on a less positive one (or whatever side of the pipe your sitting on ;))....

Garda Commissioner praises 'professional' work of Corrib policing

Mayo Advertiser, April 15, 2011.
    The Garda Commissioner, Martin Callinan, has praised the work of gardaí in Mayo who police the Corrib Gas project, where he said over the years they have been doing their job “professionally”.
    Speaking at the annual Garda Representative Association conference in Westport, Mr Callinan said that the role of gardaí who police the Shell project is to ensure that the community and those who work in the Corrib project can go about their business in “a peaceful manner”.

However, the Garda Commissioner condemned those “people who are hell bent on arriving in the west of Ireland with a propensity or an intention towards violence or violent behaviour” as “matters of public disorder occur”.

In light of the recent ‘rape tape’ controversy the commissioner said that he supported the Garda Ombudsman’s investigation into the incident.

The Minster for Justice, Equality and Defence Alan Shatter, who addressed the conference on Wednesday, said that remarks made on the ‘rape tape’ were “offensive and wrong”. However the Minister criticised some protesters who have exploited the incident “with the aim of undermining trust in An Garda Síochána, and of compromising the policing of the dispute”.

Mayo Fine Gael Deputy Michelle Mulherin denounced the ‘rape tape’ comments “which take from the good work these gardaí and other members of the force are carrying out on a daily basis”.

County councillor Gerry Murray has commented that “it was totally unacceptable to have senior gardaí who were involved in the country’s most sensitive policing issue, namely the Corrib gas dispute, retiring and then taking up paid positions with either Integrated Risk Management Services or Shell E&P Ireland Ltd.”

The Sinn Fein councillor added: “Such activities only serve to fuel suspicions that a culture of collusion prevails between the gardaí and Shell.”

Amnesty International and Frontline appoint full time human right monitor to Corrib Gas project Saturday, 14 May 2011 13:48

Amnesty International and Front Line have appointed a full-time human rights monitor for the Corrib Gas project.
    According to today's Irish Times, Sarah Bassiuoni, who is an Australian, has taken up the post and will work with a team of trained voluntary human rights observers in north Mayo.
    The post is to be funded jointly by the two groups.

It has been confirmed that Ms Bassiuoni will start on Monday and will be based in the region from later next week.

• Advertisement

See below from RTE regarding the Corrib Rapegate controversy........subject to a Garda internal disciplinary investigation.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0728/garda_ombudsman.html

No charges being brought.

Advertisement