Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why has this happed

• 07-01-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭

I know the economy has tanked, i know the employment situation for young people is very bad and i don't want this thread to turn in to... i was sent down a mine when i was 3 years old to work a 12 hour shift!

But there seem to be an enormous amount of young people with a passive/slacker type of life... happy enough to work a few days a week in a job with no prospects then drink and sleep or watch DVDs the rest of the time no plan for the future you have people in there twenties like that.

This seems amazing to people of my generation...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

...and what's worse, they stole all the punctuation and won't give it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

mariaalice wrote: »
    I know the economy has tanked, i know the employment situation for young people is very bad and i don't want this thread to turn in to... i was sent down a mine when i was 3 years old to work a 12 hour shift!

But there seem to be an enormous amount of young people with a passive/slacker type of life... happy enough to work a few days a week in a job with no prospects then drink and sleep or watch DVDs the rest of the time no plan for the future you have people in there twenties like that.

What generation are you?
    and question 2 is that not a bit of a sweeping generalisation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Jennieflower

Lumen wrote: »
    ...and what's worse, they stole all the punctuation and won't give it back.

Lol, the theeeving feckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

debated in a few other threads.
    many reasons.
    no debts and they can live off 200 a week or whatever it is.
    mammy and daddy take care of them.etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I wouldn't blame them.
    They see older people who worked all their lives being raped by the government, whilst criminals receive big pay cheques and bonuses.

Then you have the minister for "Health" Mary Harney currently in New Zealand trying to kick the "Hobbit", whilst ill people lie on trolleys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Oh no, young people have jobs and social lives! Shouldn't they be in mass or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

... i was sent down a mine when i was 3 years old to work a 12 hour shift!

12 hour shift?!!

When I were young we had to work 18 hour shifts down mine, with just a cup of water for dinner.

You youf have it easy these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Usersname

Perhaps they decided to live life instead of plan it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

TheZohan wrote: »
    12 hour shift?!!

When I were young we had to work 18 hour shifts down mine, with just a cup of water for dinner.

You got a cup of water?

feckin kids these days, spoiled so yis are...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

People are working to live rather than vice versa...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

TheZohan wrote: »
    12 hour shift?!!

Huh! You were on holidays. When I was young, we had to get up an hour before we went to bed and lick the roads clean before morning. And then, it was a 12 hour shift in a quarry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Huh! You were on holidays. When I was young, we had to get up an hour before we went to bed and lick the roads clean before morning. And then, it was a 12 hour shift in a quarry.

Bed?!!

When I were young we didn't have beds, we had a hole in the ground and it t'were full of stones because we couldn't afford claaaay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

It's funny to see some mates facebook status' complaining about their drop in money from BTEA and VTOS allowances while at college. I know there's a shortage of part time jobs but just a few years ago there were a whole generation that had to work to get themselves through college. I never had any handouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I didn't say EVERY young person was like that just that there seen to be a lot of then so no i wasn't making a sweeping generalization.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The main thing to learn is...never try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Well, I'd say I'm older than you and it's far from amazing to me.

That's the way to live, enjoy your life.

I spent years in a very serious job and looking back it wasn't worth it. Put a lot of money into a pension, now no-one knows what it's worth.

Life is for enjoying, all this feverish planning is pointless. I think young people are far too serious these days. They are very sensible about sex and drugs compared to my generation. Most of them go to college.

I like it when I see some of them slacking a bit. I still slack now. It's important in life to spend time doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 First Post

When I was a kid, I was conscripted into the red army and sent to fight the Nazis.

Everybody had/has an easier life then somebody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

We're better off now than when you were younger, get over it! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Obviously a secret time machine has broke somewhere and now we've got all these people from the industrial revolution on the internet. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

As a twenty something myself who has a very passive attitude, I'd say that there are a lot of people who fit that description, and a lot of people who don't.

Personally, I think that the reason those who do fit the description are so passive compared to other generations is because of the overwhelming increase in information being fed to us since previous times. People who have past their early twenties are less influenced by this, because by then you are generally less influenceable. But since I was a child, advertising has been increasingly prominent, not just on TV, radio and billboards, but ads are now everywhere. Add this to the whole easy communication thing with texting and t'internet and you'll see that young people have had to develop a kind of filtration system for information.

So, when we hear about serious topics like our future, or famine in Africa or politics, many of us just immediately discard it as not belonging to the category 'of immediatee importance', and therefore not worthy of my attention, just like when we see another McDonalds ad, or another hyped up big budget movie.

This is something that I have noticed myself doing and am deliberately trying to make better decisions on what is important and of interest and what is not, but my instincts always tell me to dismiss anything that isn't of immediate interest.

For what it's worth, I also think that this is the reason that people are challenging belief systems like religion etc more and more. All of a sudden these doctrines aren't the main source of information, so we become less trusting of information in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

If you enjoy wasting time then it isn't time wasted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 top laup

Trog wrote: »
    As a twenty something myself who has a very passive attitude, I'd say that there are a lot of people who fit that description, and a lot of people who don't.

Personally, I think that the reason those who do fit the description are so passive compared to other generations is because of the overwhelming increase in information being fed to us since previous times. People who have past their early twenties are less influenced by this, because by then you are generally less influenceable. But since I was a child, advertising has been increasingly prominent, not just on TV, radio and billboards, but ads are now everywhere. Add this to the whole easy communication thing with texting and t'internet and you'll see that young people have had to develop a kind of filtration system for information.

So, when we hear about serious topics like our future, or famine in Africa or politics, many of us just immediately discard it as not belonging to the category 'of immediatee importance', and therefore not worthy of my attention, just like when we see another McDonalds ad, or another hyped up big budget movie.

This is something that I have noticed myself doing and am deliberately trying to make better decisions on what is important and of interest and what is not, but my instincts always tell me to dismiss anything that isn't of immediate interest.

For what it's worth, I also think that this is the reason that people are challenging belief systems like religion etc more and more. All of a sudden these doctrines aren't the main source of information, so we become less trusting of information in general.

Amen :D
    now where can I sign up to your newsletter/blog :pac:

I remember a phrase my grandad use to say when he was still around. "Dont believe all you hear and only half of what you see", it has served me very well over time and helps alot from disciphering marketing BS and over hyped movies among other things:cool:

Im in my late 20's and lived my teens and earlier 20's doing what I liked and enjoying it. Im glad I did in some ways, but I made my choices and will live with the consequences..or not.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Obviously a secret time machine has broke somewhere and now we've got all these people from the industrial revolution on the internet. :rolleyes:

In that case I'd say the time machine was in PMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

mikom wrote: »

Then you have the minister for "Health" Mary Harney currently in New Zealand trying to kick the "Hobbit", whilst ill people lie on trolleys.

Don't get me started on this. Is she not entitled to go on holiday? Of course she is. I hope she has a great time. What exactly do you want her to do? Open up her own house and give the spare room away?

Don't get me started on this. Is she not entitled to go on holiday? Of course she is. I hope she has a great time. What exactly do you want her to do? Open up her own house and give the spare room away?

I want her to be here in Ireland managing the people who manage the resources.
    Last year she spent 16 days in New Zealand (again) as Tallaght Hospital had the unread x-ray kerfuffle.

Do your job or get the fuck out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Since we're playing the generation game, it was YOUR generation, OP, that robbed the fukcing country to begin with.
    Those with part-time jobs are lucky to have them now because of thieving black pigs and rats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Last year she spent 16 days in New Zealand (again) as Tallaght Hospital had the unread x-ray kerfuffle.

Id settle for her to get out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

She is doing her job. And she is fully entitled to go on holiday. She works for the rest of the year. Everyone needs to unwind for a few weeks of the year, after working for the rest of it.
    I think she is doing a decent job, in a no-win environment, trying to please the most miserable population, recession or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭johnny_cash

I guess we should all be like the op and working for 12 hours when we were 3 years old :confused: I seen my father die from cancer so i'm not going to take life too serious and enjoy myself rather than turn into a bitter old man like the op.

I think she is doing a decent job, in a no-win environment, trying to please the most miserable population, recession or not.

Let me get this straight

1. So, she's doing a DECENT job.
    2. There is no way to win with the health service (ever?).
    3. The Irish population are the most miserable in the world.

God help us.

In SOME WAYS i don't blame younger people not bothering because the way i see it is there was always an unwritten rule that hard work and third level education equaled more money and a better life now that not a always true

For example years ago in the first adult job i had.... i worked with someone who was studying part time to become a QS , Now that involved years of going in to DIT at night time while holding down full time job and the reason people did things like that was because of a belief that it was worth it and at the end you'd get a good well paying job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

In SOME WAYS i don't blame younger people not bothering because the way i see it is there was always an unwritten rule that hard work and third level education equaled more money and a better life now that not a always true For example years ago in the first adult job i had.... i worked with someone who was studying part time to become a QS , Now that involved years of going in to DIT at night time while holding down full time job and the reason people did things like that was because of a belief that it was worth it and at the end you'd get a good well paying job.
    Yes, this single anecdote totally qualifies your ridiculous, borderline ephebiphobic generalisatons.

Since the inception of the written word, it's clear that people have always held the belief that society is in a state of decline; its zenith having been reached during the commentators youth.

Some of my favourite quotes to back up this assertion, from people who should have know better:
    “The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company and, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannise their teachers.”
    “I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words… When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint

Romantic Iraland's dead and gone, it's with O' Leary in the grave.

You're getting old, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

the rest of the time no plan for the future you have people in there twenties like that.
    What do you suggest they do?

• Advertisement

First off i don't think society is in decline i am very optimistic about the future but it is changing...take for example drugs and drink the big difference is that we started drinking at an older age.. drinking to get roaring drunk was less common...not finishing college was very rare etc

I am sorry if this offends anyone but yes it dose seem amazing to me to see adults in there twenties expecting to be supported by there parents...

Maybe i am just getting old:p

Advertisement