Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi/Lidl cheap beer?

• 07-01-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Just looking at some of the cheapo stuff in aldi & lidl. Saint Etienne, geffenwalder, staroslav, perlenbacher...whats it like? Ive had perlenbacher before but what are the others like?

Any worse than the humdrum irish favourites like miller, bud, carling, fosters etc?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Just looking at some of the cheapo stuff in aldi & lidl. Saint Etienne, geffenwalder, staroslav, perlenbacher...whats it like? Ive had perlenbacher before but what are the others like?

Any worse than the humdrum irish favourites like miller, bud, carling, fosters etc?

You should also ask here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=598

and here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=908

There are conos..conerc...people who like their beer there who can help. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Anything would be better than the crap sold in Irish offies, Golden Sun whiskey from Lidl is lovely so is the Blue Rakmaninov vodka....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

I tried Nobelaner once. I think that's a lidl only beer. That was on a new level of piss than the usuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Jennieflower

stay away from the Lidl's beer. It's rank! The bottled stuff tastes really strong to me anyway, something like Satz.... yuck.

Then I tried the canned variety, was weaker then your typical can of Bud, tasted like the beer was watered down. It was cheaper, but didn't taste good at all. Made me very sleepy actually....didn't even make me tipsy :(

I dunno about Aldi....never tried their selection :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Have been a critic of Aldi / Lidl beers until I tried Saint Etienne, Not bad and good value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

My advise is buy a note book, buy one one of each and give scores based on how you like them. Buy more of the ones you liked.

Knowledge is power.

I love trying new beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Starberg, blond bier, Lidl, yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

stay away from the Lidl's beer. It's rank! The bottled stuff tastes really strong to me anyway, something like Satz.... yuck.

Women don't drink beer. Their tastebuds can't decipher the complex tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Look for Tyskia in Aldi, a great polish beer. Couldnt stop drinking the stuff and Im not a big beer drinker at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Jennieflower

Confab wrote: »
    Women don't drink beer. Their tastebuds can't decipher the complex tastes.

Ha! Well what they sell at Lidl's doesn't even resemble beer! so Touché! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

If you're a spirits drinker I must recomend the Lidl brandy that costs €19. I can't remember the name. I picked it up once by mistake instead of the €12 brandy and it was once of the best mistakes I've made in a long while! It was really lovely, well worth the €19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

Grafenwalder is amazing!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A few of us set up a blind tasting of different types of lager last year, including a token one from the German discounters. It scored better than Heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Then I tried the canned variety, was weaker then your typical can of Bud, tasted like the beer was watered down. It was cheaper, but didn't taste good at all. Made me very sleepy actually....didn't even make me tipsy :(

I dunno about Aldi....never tried their selection :)
    Like a watered down can of budweiser? That must be crystal clear mountain due water, filtered through hundreds of miles of rock over billions of years to produce that particular brand of p1ss.
    On a serios note , I don't think bud can be watered down any more and still be described as beer, under the trades description act, or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

BeerNut wrote: »
    A few of us set up a blind tasting of different types of lager last year, including a token one from the German discounters. It scored better than Heineken.

Can't stop laughing at the face on that guy with the red jacket. Is that his impersonation of a grumpy hobo? And the fella wearing the hoody with his beer in a lucozade bottle.

So it seems the cheapo german stuff is just as good as the "premium" lager.

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

Lidl, <in Sligo anyway> have had some of the Shepherd Neame beers in stock over the last few months at €1.50 a bottle.

I think that it seems to be the seasonal beers at the end of their season, cause they had Autumn Blaze, Tapping the Admiral, 4-4-2, and Rudolph's Reward at different times over the last few months. I'm sure there were a few more but I can't remember them right now.

Well i had a couple of St Etienne (4.8%alc) bought from aldi on friday night & i found myself pleasantly surprised. Its a decent beer for the price of 99c, nothing special but smooth enough & absent of any metallic taste which i found overpowering in lidl's grafenwalder.

Yeah quite impressed & another good example of a budget beer that is way nicer than the massively advertised big name 'premium' beers. It would be a great beer for bbq's & parties. Cheap n cheerful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I still haven't gotten over the news that the Aldi Traditional Ale is gone. :(

irish_goat wrote: »

Unfortunately i never got a chance to taste it. Was it good?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately i never got a chance to taste it. Was it good?

Delicious. The O'Hara's red is probably the closest you'll get to it but not quite the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

It's been replaced by O'Sheas Stout and O'Sheas Irish Red Ale.
    These are also being brewed by Carlow Brewing Company (O'Haras).
    I asked the brewer about the new ones and he told me that the O'Sheas Irish Red Ale is the same recipe as the Aldi Specially Selected one!!!
    So all is not lost.

I must say though, on tasting the O'Sheas Irish Red Ale is doesnt taste as roasty as the Specially Selected one was, but maybe its in my head as I didnt taste them side by side!
    Still, two very nice beers.

slayerking wrote: »
    It's been replaced by O'Sheas Stout and O'Sheas Irish Red Ale.
    These are also being brewed by Carlow Brewing Company (O'Haras).
    I asked the brewer about the new ones and he told me that the O'Sheas Irish Red Ale is the same recipe as the Aldi Specially Selected one!!!
    So all is not lost.

I must say though, on tasting the O'Sheas Irish Red Ale is doesnt taste as roasty as the Specially Selected one was, but maybe its in my head as I didnt taste them side by side!
    Still, two very nice beers.

They're definitely not the same imo, the O'Shea's was nice enough but lacked the roastyness as you said and the caramel notes of the traditional. I'll try the O'Shea's again though and see.

And just so ye's all know, Lidl's pils are on offer at the minute.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.Super_Saturday.Super_Saturday

And just so ye's all know, Lidl's pils are on offer at the minute.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.Super_Saturday.Super_Saturday

Its a very average beer, bit of a sharp aftertaste. But at 4.29 for 6 i can't really complain.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

irish_goat wrote:

Yes there is definately a difference to me also and I did taste them side by side. Prefer the Specially Selected for the same reasons ... more meaty too.

Even better for me is my local still had a good few left the last time I bought some which was last week. I was tempted to stock up but they never seemed to be a big seller there so reckoned I'd leave it till next week end when I have a trolly on the go. Hopefully there is still a good few left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Aldi doing German beers for €1.09 / 500ml bottle at the moment - think they may be on runout. Berliner Kindl, Tucher Ubersee and a couple of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Yes there is definately a difference to me also and I did taste them side by side. Prefer the Specially Selected for the same reasons ... more meaty too.

I loved the Specially Selected Ale as well, even though the small bottles used to annoy me. Hope to get a chance to try the new Ale in the next few weeks.

Anyone tried the bishops finger ale currently available in lidl?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Anyone tried the bishops finger ale currently available in lidl?

I bought it for the amusing name but it was in O'Briens and tesco as well. Not bad but not much to write home about. I guess it depends on whether or not you like yer english ales.

Advertisement