Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[CoD MW3] General News and Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Anyone for Smallpox the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Anyone for Smallpox the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th? :D

I'll take a dose if there going please. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

No way am I doing a midnight launch, fcuk that. I can wait 10 extra hours after waiting 2 years tbh. Still amazed at MW2 though.... STILL playing it nearly a year and a half later and still finding new aspects like teh fn2000, only started using that last night and loving it. Tis nuts the amount of play time Im getting out of it, if mw3 only givs half that I'll be happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

jesus christ thats desperate. Who cares what engine it's being built on when they all look like trash on the current gen consoles anyway??? Of course, there is the "gameplay", you could honestly play this game against bots and i'm not convinced it would feel any different. COD BO was a final revelation for me that the series has met it's end with it's current loadout. So much would have to be done to push the series forward. BF3 is a perfect example of what kind of steps need to be taken to evolve. But in saying that, the vast majority of COD players being the type to only buy 1-2 games a year, I'm guessing all they need is a new map pack for 15euro to feel like they've purchased a new game. meh, ill pass this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭AGB_Ghost

jesus christ thats desperate. Who cares what engine it's being built on when they all look like trash on the current gen consoles anyway??? Of course, there is the "gameplay", you could honestly play this game against bots and i'm not convinced it would feel any different. COD BO was a final revelation for me that the series has met it's end with it's current loadout. So much would have to be done to push the series forward. BF3 is a perfect example of what kind of steps need to be taken to evolve. But in saying that, the vast majority of COD players being the type to only buy 1-2 games a year, I'm guessing all they need is a new map pack for 15euro to feel like they've purchased a new game. meh, ill pass this time

Sorry we're to busy drooling into buckets I think your looking for the battlefield section :D

Here comes the onslaught of COD haters.... I just dont get it. I mean I HATE gears and halo, nothing about them speaks to me and I have bought and tried them. I dont try and slam them at every oppertunity simply becuase if that many people like the games there HAS to be something good to them that I specifically just dont like, thats not to say they arent good games.

COD haters seem to want to slag cod simply cause its popular? If someone asked me whats my fav game, yeah it'd have to be MW2 but its not without faults. Yes COD needs and engine overhaul soooooo badly and yes the community on a global scale are probably some of the worst you can find if your looking for a mature install base BUT the game itself is good why else would it be the biggest in the world?

hightower1 wrote: »
    Here comes the onslaught of COD haters.... I just dont get it. I mean I HATE gears and halo, nothing about them speaks to me and I have bought and tried them. I dont try and slam them at every oppertunity simply becuase if that many people like the games there HAS to be something good to them that I specifically just dont like, thats not to say they arent good games.

COD haters seem to want to slag cod simply cause its popular? If someone asked me whats my fav game, yeah it'd have to be MW2 but its not without faults. Yes COD needs and engine overhaul soooooo badly and yes the community on a global scale are probably some of the worst you can find if your looking for a mature install base BUT the game itself is good why else would it be the biggest in the world?

before you go up to your hightower (ho ho ho) ive played and purchased every cod game there has ever been within, at the latest, a week of release, so don't try and turn this into a us/them complex because it's not. The first game to really turn me away fro CS:S was COD2(although knowing cod derives most of it's current fanbase from console gamers who played MW2 than even cod4, and certainly not the previous titles I dont expect every poster here to have played it) My only point is, what has really changed? Has the game actually evolved at all, or is it just a reskin map pack at this stage? The single player game can actual play itself from start to finish??? and even the weakest of players can finish on top in the MP. Also, dont try and tell me just because it's the biggest game in the world it's actually any good, popular culture is what it is, thats why the xfactor is a number 1 tv show and why the world is more obese now than it ever has been, just because something happens to be in a majority doesn't mean it's a good thing. I can see a lot of love for MW2, which is cool, but what about black ops? has that fallen by the wayside a little bit, did it have too many short comings? do you think infinity ward can pull through without it's previous dev team to make sure it plays like it's supposed to? Personally, I expect it to feel like a map pack, the lone wolf gameplay will be exactly the same. Im just not feeling it, there's no evolution, ill wait until it's out because what do I know, what do any of us know. But I reckon I'll be sitting this one out.

I totally agree that the franchise isnt evolving at all and a lot of players are getting burnt out from that but the formula still draws a lot of people to play. I will be getting battlefield 3 also and the one thing I am certain of is that the experience will be worlds apart. If was forced to call it though I prob will end up playing COD far more simply bsed on the virtue that the COD formula doesnt change and from my play time on MW2.

I just dont think pointing out CODs bad points on a thread full of exicted fans is going to result in anything more than you appearning to be a flamer? I think all COD fans are awre of the downfalls of the serise at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

cod4 is still the best hands down for me, WAW,mw2 and black ops are the same game with different maps.

i think the maps on cod4 are the best aswell as it having the best options on private games like old school mode.

for some reason i think the maps treyarch do are terrible compared to infinity ward, i go by the maps because the gameplay is the exact same in all of them bar diving out of the way in black ops.

im going to give bf3 a proper try but il also give mw3 a go but im expecting the same ol game with differnt maps to be honest.

• Advertisement

The blacks ops maps in particular are brutal. They just mirror each side with some changes. The cod4 maps were unbalanced in their layout, a starting area on one side would be left and never returned to, but the starting point on the other side could become central to the battle, I liked this a lot! It's a dynamic. I guess that's why I like cod4 so much. I think the series became a cash cow thereafter, very cinematic yes, and a bit more like a Tom Clancy book than any Tom Clancy game interestingly. But yeah, I'm not flaming, I'm just not feeling any of the hype. Console gamers really need new machines to. It's a wonder there was never any far-sight into creating upgradable components for consoles. Particularly for the ps3 seeing as the production and release of the machine nearly sent them completely bust. A new playstation is an age away, but I just got a gainward geforce phantom 570gtx for my middling pc and now it's a monster. I dunno, I can't play the same old rehash of a game on a pixelated resolution with practically no textures to speak of anymore and still pay top dollar for it at release.

I think I'm just a grumpy young man hahaha enjoy it anyway lads, sure a hobby is what it is, and there's no harm in being excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

IMO Treyarch have been much better than IW at developing maps. Mirroring each side makes it more ballanced for both teams. If you look at MW2's Estate for example, thats just a joke. One team is way more elevated than the other. Camp in the house with a javelin and fire one off directly onto the opositions spawn.

Am I the only person that actually likes Estate :pac: Its the exact reason you mentioned too, its so different on either side. theres a ton of great sightlines, loads of ways around the map and it suits almost every gametype, maybe a bit big for S&D but for ground wars its perfect. Its hard to get spawntrapped as well which the COD4 maps are terrible 4 (I like the maps, just getting out a a trap at C on vacant and A on Crash are a fcuking nightmare, at least in maps like Estate you can fight your way out through multiple routes)

so far this year alone I've bought and finished/currently playing/will play:

Vanquish
    Red Dead Redemption
    Alan Wake
    Splinter Cell Conviction (was playing catchup with xbox titles)
    Portal 2
    Mortal Kombat
    and a bunch of XBLA games

and plan on buying:

LA Noire
    Gears 3
    Duke Nukem
    Arkham City
    Deus Ex
    Zelda: Skyward Sword (if it comes out this year)
    Battlefield 3
    MW3
    Tomb Raider
    and Uncharted 3 (the daddy of games releases this year for me)

So not all COD players are ADD riddled kids with no intrerest in any other games,I've been playing games for 25 years (I know I'm old :pac: ) and have no plans on stopping any time soon.. MW2 has its shortcomings, but its still infinitely more fun to play than Black Ops for me, I just enjoy it way more.

Factions I want to see in the game

Ultranationalist with the Commentator as Makarov

TF141 with either Ghost or Soap

French

Germans

and Russians with Major Petrov

I always has this random idea that Makarov and his Soldiers found ghost down the mountain from his estate and brought him back and patched him up and held him hostage.

It would be cool if it was a mission to go get ghost back from Makarov :D

Probably not in the game but it would be cool.

• Advertisement

Ah sure he'll be just a little bit charred.

:D

Well he was shot but he wasnt burned, someone used Noclip and got out of roach and it shows roach on fire but not Ghost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

AGB_Ghost wrote: »
    Well he was shot but he wasnt burned, someone used Noclip and got out of roach and it shows roach on fire but not Ghost

Burned or not, .44 to the side of the head is lights out for Ghost:pac:..pity though..first time I saw him in mw2 while trying to shoot the guy running, I stopped and looked thinking 'is he wearing a skull balaclava?...Badass':p

Blay wrote: »
    Burned or not, .44 to the side of the head is lights out for Ghost:pac:..pity though..first time I saw him in mw2 while trying to shoot the guy running, I stopped and looked thinking 'is he wearing a skull balaclava?...Badass':p

He wears it because while in Mexico with the USSOCOM he blended into crowds of the Day of The Dead celabration, while being brainwashed and tortured he thinks about his enemies who in his mind have skull balaclavas on, his family was killed in the comic by his brainwashed team mate Washington, and ghost swears revenge on them and his old company.

BTW Ghost was shot in the jaw :D so he may be alive, Frank Serpico was shot in the face buy a Magnum at point blank range and he is in sweden now :D so you never know, Craig Fairbass did MW3 voices so he may be returning or is a new character

Like I posted before, Im a fanboy

182094_198238260187886_100000051418142_791955_3168196_n.jpg

Like I posted before, Im a fanboy

182094_198238260187886_100000051418142_791955_3168196_n.jpg

thats what Im doing for Halloween this year, dunno what to do about the gun though might just but a cheap toy one and bring that, wouldnt get an airsoft gun (as much as Id love one) just for that night. plus I dont think nightclubs would like people strolling in with replica assault rifles slung over their shoulder :pac: so a toy m16 or something will do fine,

they do still sell toy guns right?...

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    thats what Im doing for Halloween this year, dunno what to do about the gun though might just but a cheap toy one and bring that, wouldnt get an airsoft gun (as much as Id love one) just for that night. plus I dont think nightclubs would like people strolling in with replica assault rifles slung over their shoulder :pac: so a toy m16 or something will do fine,

they do still sell toy guns right?...

Smyths sell nerf guns :P

I wouldnt mind Ghost returning, even someone else wearing the balaclava and taking up the name, its the easiest way around it.

H06359_M.jpg

I could buy 2 of these and claim theyre akimbo 1887s :pac:

this'd do, its even got Fall camo :D

!CFW5u4!EWk~$(KGrHqR,!m!E1F3RliZbBNUy5Mn2Yg~~0_12.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

this'd do, its even got Fall camo :D

!CFW5u4!EWk~$(KGrHqR,!m!E1F3RliZbBNUy5Mn2Yg~~0_12.JPG

Fall? More like ginger tiger camo :pac:

Edit: just realised tigers are ginger :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

BTW Ghost was shot in the jaw :D so he may be alive,

Ghost kinda got set on fire too though! :D I think it was a waste of a character honestly, gace him a great backstory in the comics and he could've been made into even more of a badass than he was in MW2. I like the idea of someone else wearing the balaclava though, tribute sort of thing. Or him appearing in a flashback of some form.

niallon wrote: »
    Ghost kinda got set on fire too though! :D I think it was a waste of a character honestly, gace him a great backstory in the comics and he could've been made into even more of a badass than he was in MW2. I like the idea of someone else wearing the balaclava though, tribute sort of thing. Or him appearing in a flashback of some form.

I agree, he was the best character in MW2 both vocally and by looks

I wouldnt mind Ghost returning, even someone else wearing the balaclava and taking up the name, its the easiest way around it.

He had a friend who wore that skull balaclavas, I dont know if he is dead, he was a good friend of Ghosts

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Joonaspp

Awful teasers really.

Unless the maps are good I think I am going for BF3 this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Joonaspp wrote: »
    Awful teasers really.

Unless the maps are good I think I am going for BF3 this year.

Us rich folk can get both ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Magill wrote: »
    Us rich folk can get both ! :D

Too right.....you'd swear we were in recession or something.......get a loan from your Credit Union and a weekend job at Supermacs and you can get both.

Can I state one thing

BF3 and MW3 are NOT the same type of games, its like comparing Fifa with Football manager, they are sport games and are to do with football but different

just like how MW3 and BF3 are FPS and use guns one is more down to earth and simple yet awesome

BF3 is very over the top (in a good way) with vechicles, many different weapons, huge maps and many different ways of tackling maps.

The fued is fan made not game made, BFBC2 was the first to start the war by insulting Modern Warfare 2 for no reason, and I must admit, activison are acting like grown ups by not retaliating to insults thrown at them by EA so lets clear the air because im sick of this.

if you dont like MW3 and you love BF3 go to battlefield section and dont hate on the game, when barely anything has been announced, one saying comes to mind here Dont Judge a book by its cover, and thats what your all doing.

You dont see me in battlefield forums giving sh*t out about the game like

"Derp an earthquake during a war how un-realistic this sucks! derp"

Dont like MW3 fine dont ruin our fun and us liking it because your like a different game!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

i would have liked them to have gone back to ww2 its allready been 3 games since waw and alldo i have liked them i love ww2 so would have prefered the new one to be based in that era saying that i will defo be in tescos at 12 oclock the night its out

I preordered it in GAME the other day, I was having a joke, the guy was like

Guy: You want to order Gears of War 3 yeah? Anything else?

Me: not really unless your taking Pre-orders for MW3 *chuckle*

Guy: we actually are

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

'....And I jizzed in my pants'

fjsanchez wrote: »
    '....And I jizzed in my pants'

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Blay wrote: »

See I thought the opposite...I thought Ghost, the whole TF141, their lame names, and...the...SoapHawk....were all lame. Like a ten year old airsofters wet dream.

So any info on elite packages of MW3?

• Advertisement

I'd hold off on that one for right now...

See E3 is coming up....
    MS are REALLY quiet for some reason....
    They HAVE to bring something big to not get washed out....
    They have a brilliant running history with Activision / COD and exclusive deals....
    The COD userbase is the largest on 360....
    The main strength of the 360 is XBL....
    Activision want to do anything poss to avoid trade in revenue loss...

What does this all add up to?? MS hammering out and revealing a deal done with Activision for console exclusive day 1 release of MW3 for XBL download.

It would be a powerhouse - MW3 & XBL digital download day 1, it works out brilliant for all parties involved and I certainly would be on that like a shot.
    The only loosers would be the brick and mortar stores but put it this way steam have been operating this business model for ages now and brick and mortar stores are hardly going to not stock MW3 out of protest.

Watch MS @ e3 closely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

They should really use a new game engine. The leaked screenshots of the game don't look the best IMO

hightower1 wrote: »
    I'd hold off on that one for right now...

See E3 is coming up....
    MS are REALLY quiet for some reason....
    They HAVE to bring something big to not get washed out....
    They have a brilliant running history with Activision / COD and exclusive deals....
    The COD userbase is the largest on 360....
    The main strength of the 360 is XBL....
    Activision want to do anything poss to avoid trade in revenue loss...

What does this all add up to?? MS hammering out and revealing a deal done with Activision for console exclusive day 1 release of MW3 for XBL download.

It would be a powerhouse - MW3 & XBL digital download day 1, it works out brilliant for all parties involved and I certainly would be on that like a shot.
    The only loosers would be the brick and mortar stores but put it this way steam have been operating this business model for ages now and brick and mortar stores are hardly going to not stock MW3 out of protest.

Watch MS @ e3 closely

If that is MS's biggest annoucement at E3 i feel sorry for xbox only owners tbh. MS really need to annouce a big exclusive title, losing mass effect is a huge blow for them imo. PS3 is probably gonna dominate the exclusive reveals again tbh (After nintendo obviously).

Current generation of consoles aren't equip for full scale digital distribution anyway, my xbox only has a 6gb hdd fs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I saw Robert Bowling tweeting at Fwiz to try and get him involved in the development of it. This is promising.

Kersmash wrote: »
    I saw Robert Bowling tweeting at Fwiz to try and get him involved in the development of it. This is promising.

Isn't like Dr.Disrespect the community manager aswel ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

He is for Sledgehammer, but I have no idea how much involvement they have with MW3. it's all a bit confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,456 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Microsoft's E3 presentation could be someone taking a dump on the stage and they'd still come off better than Sony look now.

If that is MS's biggest annoucement at E3 i feel sorry for xbox only owners tbh. .

Really? It would be a huge deal being able to offer the majorty of your customer base the biggest game of the year from the comfort of their own houses... and thats just from the consumer POV. From MS POV they would make a killing, as it stands MS gets only about 12usd from each disc sold on their platform, publisher gets another 12, the rest is then split between costs and the retailer. If you cut out the costs and retailer that leaves 60 bucks to split between the publisher and themselves!

Even if it was a 30/70 deal then that leaves MS with 30% revenue from the biggest selling media title of 2011 (which we know it will be).
    If thats not a big deal I dont know what is.

From a gamers POV it would be great to not have to wait in line open night (if you had intended on it) and instead just download direct on release night. It'd be like being able to stream the biggest movie of the year on openning night direct to your home.... ace.

Current generation of consoles aren't equip for full scale digital distribution anyway, my xbox only has a 6gb hdd fs :D
    ???? What? Most consoles bar the "basic" versions all come with huge hard drives now and ready to go connectivity to PSN or XBL so if anything they are compltely geared twords it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

If that is MS's biggest annoucement at E3 i feel sorry for xbox only owners tbh.

Microsoft have a history in throwing the financial clout of xbox live around to buy exclusives like what they did in another multiformat most eagerly expected game of the year, gta. Sony hasn't attempted to match them. I wouldn't be surprised if MS does similar again.
    MS really need to annouce a big exclusive title, losing mass effect is a huge blow for them imo. PS3 is probably gonna dominate the exclusive reveals again tbh (After nintendo obviously).
    If you want to play mass effect as it's makers intended you have to get it from MS not from Sony. Also PS3 owners had to wait 6 months to get (a 360 port of) ME2. I thought Mass Effect 3 was coming out on both consoles? There is a difference in losing a title and losing exclusivity of it.

Exclusives are often bandied about in fanboy discussions over which console is best, the real definer for fans of both consoles is which console offers the best package. Focusing only about the Call of Duty franchise, the fact is ps3 owners got the sh*tty end of the stick with regard to black ops. That and MS hasn't let it's customers spend nearly a month without a service or endangered their finances. At the moment, Sony have it all to do. However complacency could still scupper MS.
    Completely agree. My release xbox has about 1gb of free space. MS have ripped the arse out of many peoples pocket unlike Sony who have included cheaper hds & peripherals. The whole digital distribution thing is only viable for countries with first rate internet connections. Ireland is a long way from the top of that list. If anyone knows the "joy" of buying a big game from steam on release day knows that the digital delivery wouldn't work for a release like MW3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there a limited edition?

Headshot wrote: »
    Is there a limited edition?

You cant preorder it but more than likely Robert Bowling will announce the Hardened and Prestige editions soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement