Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English poetry!

• 07-01-2011 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey just a quick question...
    How many poems are you learning from each poet in Leaving Cert Honors English?...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

My teacher said 5 or 6 minimum :( Its hard enough even remembering which titles go with which quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

the easiest thing to do is do one more than half the poets which means no matter what you'll get one!

I would then include one irish and one female AT LEAST!

I'd then learn 4 poems from each and an extra poem (just generally) to throw in in case youre stuck for a page or two...

You shouldnt have any problem writing a page a poem at least and even more on some....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

the easiest thing to do is do one more than half the poets which means no matter what you'll get one!

I would then include one irish and one female AT LEAST!

I'd then learn 4 poems from each and an extra poem (just generally) to throw in in case youre stuck for a page or two...

You shouldnt have any problem writing a page a poem at least and even more on some....

5/6 poems on each would suffice?...
    For the mocks anway?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

We're doing 6 poets with 6 poems on each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

5/6 will indeed be enough!

I only spoke about 5 poems each time (I repeated) ... I always got the A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

Six poets seems to be ideal, that way you're assured to have two questions come up, and you pick your favoured one. I'm going to do five poems from each, except for Wordsworth, whom I'm doing 6 because two of his are linked, and really short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Im going for 5 , not including rich. Just Boland , kavanagh , yeats and frost

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Take a weighed up guess at which poets are likely to come up and pick 3, max 5.
    Do a min. 6 poems, for the A you need 9-10.
    Besides, it's better to do the least amount possible to get an A and spread that across your subjects, thats why I say a likely 3 poets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ddyradd

Generally you can get away with 2-3 if you select poets wisely . For instance, last year, I chose Yeats and Eliot. If I was sitting the LC this year I would go for Boland Dickinson and Wordsworth. 6 poems by each is ideal.. you will simply not remember 6 poets in sufficient detail without letting ither ares of you paper 2 study. Most students do so at the cost of a decent grade in the single text . If youre going for a high honour, you wont be able to do 6-7 poets . Its simply too much work

Advertisement