Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mixing flash with continious etc

• 07-01-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I was reading something about a guy who used a cheap halogen "worklight" for lighting.
    http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/diylighting

image001.jpg

I wonder, with the new "ultra white" bulbs, would they match the colour of a flash bulb, i.e, could both be used at the same time?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Worth experimenting with. I'd like to know what the CRI (colour rendition index) of the lights is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks for your reply.

I'm fairly new to amateur photography, but recently I was reading about continuous vs flash.

I had read a few times that flashes provide way more light than continuous lights, and I had fairly put the idea of using continuous lighting to bed, but I've noticed that shadows from my household lights are still appearing in some flash pics, so clearly the flash isn't overwhelming them.

It's my understanding that one would be better off shooting with EITHER flash or halogen/incandescent lighting, because mixing light sources of different color temperatures will cause white balance and tonal problems. (?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Depends what you want really. You can mix light sources if you know how to control them. Ie, direction and intensity of light. Your typical flash does provide more pop than say a 100w tungsten but in the same breath, the sun is way more powerful than the typical flash. So, like i said, you got to experiment to figure out what works for you. There is no real definitive answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I've been reading up a bit more and apparently it is perfectly fine to mix different light sources, as long as they are matched for temperature, i.e. orange gel on flash in a tungsten environment, etc.

I guess it's time to start experimenting :)

Advertisement