Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crunch Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 07-01-2011 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi I was just wondering how much it would cost for me to join Crunch Dun Laoghaire (ballpark figure).I am a 16 yr/o student living around the Ballsbridge Donnybrooke area.
    Also would it be worth it?
    and are there better alternatives ?

thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

I think they charge around 750 a year but maybe you can negotiate. It's a pretty lousy gym with very few free weights, tacky decor and smelly changing rooms, but there isn't much else in Dun Laoghaire. You might be better off taking the DART to town where there's a lot more choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Never been to Crunch Dun Laoghaire but I used to be a member in UCD. It's got loads of cardio machines and lots of weight machines. Don't know about the weights room as I was never brave enough to venture down.

You can usually get a year's membership for between €160 - 220. Nice and close to you if you don't fancy going to town?!?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Ki ki wrote: »
    Never been to Crunch Dun Laoghaire but I used to be a member in UCD. It's got loads of cardio machines and lots of weight machines. Don't know about the weights room as I was never brave enough to venture down.

You can usually get a year's membership for between €160 - 220. Nice and close to you if you don't fancy going to town?!?

Crunch UCD is closing in June though, so it mightn't be the best option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I was told €420 for 6 months.

feck that!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

Just one more thing: if you decide to take the tour I'd leave money and credit card at home as I found their sales staff extremely pushy and aggressive: they will probably try to bully you into signing a contract right there and then. Also, I'd give them a fake mobile number as they will keep calling you for months afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

benwavner wrote: »
    I was told €420 for 6 months.

feck that!

For UCD??! Defo not worth that!

Sorry, hadn't realised it was closing. My, times are tough :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Ki ki wrote: »
    For UCD??! Defo not worth that!

Sorry, hadn't realised it was closing. My, times are tough :(

No, sorry in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

west wood in sandy mount may be a closer cycle for you. Ignore the price of 750 quoted above . That's an old price for adult membership. You'll get student pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

If you can make it to monkstown ( The 4 bus stops right outside, 46a / Dart are 5/10 mins away), Bluepool is a decent enough gym for what you'll pay.

It's about 350e for 15 months for a student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'm paying €550 a year in Crunch DL. I really love the place (unfortunately I've just reloated out of Dublin so will miss it immensely :( ) In fairness they have got a lot of new gear in recently like a Hammer strength platform etc. and it is geared up a lot more towards weights now, which is different to when I joined first a couple of years back. Also I have seen a couple of the trainers doing induction sessions with new members and they do show them how to squat etc. and use the free weights in general, rather than just the usual machines etc. It may not be for everyone, but I really like it, so like most things it depends what your priorities / preferences are I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 1994jacob

thanks, yeh i was told 450 for 12 months with no joining fee, sounds decent enough. plus it sounds like its full of the little frills like TVs in all the cardio machines which isn't really what I'm looking for but is a nice extra as well as all the saunas ect.

I'l see if I can get a free trial membership for about a week or so.

This gym didn't have a squat rack when i was there (member for 3 years - 05 - 08)

If it had a squat rack, it'd be pretty decent. I also remember things not working a lot in 08 such as broken saunas and steam rooms etc.

If that stuff was working fine, it'd be grand for most people. It's a nice treat after a hard workout to go relax in a sauna for 5/10 mins. I miss it in my current gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 1994jacob

yeh my friends a member there and says its all working fine, iv set up an interview thing for tomorrow so ill join then. thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

Pay per visit, or per month, per quarter, or per annum. Lots of cardio equipment, good sets of weights and bars, a pool, a sauna. Not as flashy as some mentioned above, but it depends what you are looking for.

http://dlrleisureservices.ie/monkstown/gym.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jimmy Gogola

Crunch Dun Laoghaire: I've been a member for the past 6 years and i like it a lot. I'm no athlete but I keep myself in reasonable condition for my age (50+) and I find it clean; good facilities and equipment; great parking arrangement with Pavilion; free classes.. I'm renewing again next month for another year. They are open to negotiation and a lot of young people use it. Check out a free session around 5.00 and you'll meet some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jimmy Gogola

A real plus for Crunch is the availability of free assessment and personalised programme design as well as free classes for members. This classes are really good I have found and for what I pay for annual membership, I think it is 550, I feel I get really good value

Advertisement