Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car in Fountain

Options
  • 07-01-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

Right..... lets get the ball rolling.

166215_182186928472360_100000431633125_527568_3947364_n.jpg

Who knows what happened here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Holy s*it! When did this happen? Did you take the photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

How in the love and honour of god did that happen??? Unless it's the same driver as the one that crashed outside the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Just when you think you have seen everything!

Epic Fail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

im guessing the snow had a part to play in this

anyone know if security pointed out that wasnt a designated parking spot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Nah didn't take the photo! It's been doing the rounds for a few hours now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I was actually the first to arrive on this, had to call the emergency services and security. Was driving by and just happened to look in and there is a car just sitting there in the water! Thought I was seeing things so pulled up and got out to have a closer look, to find an elderly man sitting in the driver seat with the window down. Crazy stuff. He was ok though, bit shaken up obviously but otherwise fine. Apparently he was driving to exit the campus, just went up and over with the left side of the car, the sloped walls of the fountain taking him in the rest of the way.

Fair play for helping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Still can't get my head around how he finished up perpendicular to the road. You would imagine if someone mounted the footpath and went into the fountain they would end up either parallel or at an acute angle to the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

what in the name of god was he at?

in all fairness anyone with the remote bit of cop on to drive would have noticed the car mounting the kerb.

@agent 99
    surely this incident qualifies for
    Hope the driver loses their licence before someone loses their life.
    rather than a video of people falling over?

• Advertisement

Relax, you don't know the full story behind it. As ImDave mentioned above the driver was an elderly man so it may not be as clearcut as that.

age has nothing to do with it.
    if you cant control a car you shouldnt be driving.
    whats the problem?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

age has nothing to do with it.
    if you cant control a car you shouldnt be driving.
    whats the problem?:confused:

Maybe he swerved to avoid hitting a dog,a person or more likely another
    car.
    You are jumping the gun a bit without knowing the full story.

+1

You don't know the full story so you shouldn't start making claims like you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

I heard he got clamped too...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

How in the love and honour of god did that happen??? Unless it's the same driver as the one that crashed outside the arena.

I texted that guy straight away..

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Very easy to laugh at something like this.... But often the judgemental attitudes are very poor at rowing back when an understandable option is offered.

The Limerick Post mentioned this in an article. I don't have it in front of me but there's mention of thinking it was a flat area of concrete given the fountains were not only not running but also frozen over.

I think we've all seen that piece of video that was also shown on an old Top Gear of someone driving up to a stop outside a building and the car disappears into water. Which, on first time, you don't think the guy is an idiot you just think it's some solid (and not snowed over) surface instead....

notice how in the video there's nothing to distinguish the concrete and snow covered ice just where the car goes in, whereas on all other sides there's a kerb and flower bed.

however at the fountain there is an 8 inch high kerb running the full length of it next to the road.

so does anyone want to explain how the driver hit the kerb and still thought it was ok to stay going?

Yes - and it's pretty simple. Just to the right of the shot (and just out of shot) there is a pedestrian crossing/ramp that would make it a smooth drive up.

• Advertisement

There is also a lamp post indicating a pedestrian crossing as well as a separate lamp post closer to the fountain here.
    If he had in fact gone up at the crossing how is it he completely missed the second lamp, yet still ended up in the fountain?
    That is of course assuming the lie of the car corroborates that theory. Which it doesn’t.

I guess the reason I see it as completely possible is that if the gu thought the place was a concreted area, to me it's plausable enough that if that's what he thought then he didn't have to slam the car up onto a kerb to do so....

From what you’re saying, there is no plausible way in which the car could have ended up where it did.

The only way I can see the car ending up where it did and the man saying it appeared like concrete is if he went over after the second lamp.

In which case he would have had to mount the kerb, not think a raised kerb and a drop on the far side separating the “concrete” and the road
    surface was remotely odd, and then decides to drive on regardless.

EDIT: The OPs picture backs up what i'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

What happened was the driver thought the fountain was a turning circle area because it was frozen over, he was unfamiliar with the road. How it didnt strike him that there was a massive kerb in the way I don't know, but thats what happened.

Advertisement