Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuff Mac Trailers

• 07-01-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Has anyone on here have one of these trailers? Looked at one this evening (8X5) and thought they were a great trailer for the money.

Now they're no Ivor Williams, but they seem very well built without the frills or the hefty price tag.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I thought thre was a thread posted on this forum before, but couldn't find it:rolleyes: So sorry if this question has been asked before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    Lads

Has anyone on here have one of these trailers? Looked at one this evening (8X5) and thought they were a great trailer for the money.

Now they're no Ivor Williams, but they seem very well built without the frills or the hefty price tag.

yep started a thread before but didnt get much of a response, nice looking boxes i thought
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056068152&highlight=tuffmac

Thanks Vander:D

They use an avonride hitch instead of Bradley. Some might say they are not as good, but they have an integrated lock which i liked. Maybe these are on the bradley now too??

Also noticed on the 8 X 5 I looked at only the front axle is braked, but perhaps this is ample?

The ramp is fastened simply with antiluces rather than those more common ramp winder types.

I was very suprised at how strong the frame and especially the sheeting was. It was nicely folded, I'd be very surprised if an animal bend it.

It had budget rear lights fitted (but I'm sure well up to the job), but did have side marker ones fitted aswel over the mudguards. There was no porvision for a numberplate or number plate lighting.

Could be doing a deal yet, be would like to get a look at a Murphy trailer before I decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We bought one a couple of months back.
    Very happy with it. 16' x 6' we went for. They seem a sturdy no nonsense box.

Bizzum wrote: »
    We bought one a couple of months back.
    Very happy with it. 16' x 6' we went for. They seem a sturdy no nonsense box.

Very good. Did you buy it directly from them or through a dealer? God that's a big trailer ye have there! Are you pulling it behind a tractor?

• Advertisement

Sorry Muckit, I see now when you quoted me I have a typo on the size.
    It's 14' long. We bought it off Peter Hosey in Rhode.
    We usually pull it with a Trooper, but the tractor may be harnessed at some stage I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

How ye lads. I bought one of them last year, it was a 12 x 5'10" and got it at a right good price compared to Hudson, Nugent or IW. I had an IW before that but it was getting on a bit.

Positives

They added in a very good dividing gate,

Added a spare wheel

Lights etc all wired perfect and never any hassle. also they are covered or flexible so can take the odd tip off a pier!!!!

they have the fold-down flap in front to avoid drag.

Really good price direct of them. they actualy made the box up to my specs. think it was EUR3150

Negatives
    There are no flaps on the sides of the box for the vents but that not a big issue.

I changed jeep too since so maybe thats part of the issue but i do feel they are a little harder pull than the IW was. Little bit giddy behind and feels like there is more weight.

Overall, i dont regret getting them and think they are a great sturdy, well built trailer.
    Would defo go direct though cause it saved me round 1K

Hi Tubby

Thanks for the reply. The trailer I was looking at was with a dealer here near balllinasloe. €2,500 for a NEW 8' X 5' isn't bad, perhaps i could do better if bought direct. i emailed them yesterday, so hopefully they get back to me.

Did you drive up for your trailer or were they able to drop her down?

They seem great value for money, but it'd take the good out of it if they didn't pull right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

I reckon you would do better going direct and also could get add-ons if you want. Dont want to take any business from Hogans or any of the lads in B/sloe but i did nice bit better.
    Only thing is with the VAT rate gone up and the bad exchange rate, it might be less of a diff now cause the dealer may have bought it while ago at decent rate.

As far as pulling goes, its a very minor quibble. They are little unsteady empty. With a few in the back, you would not know you were pulling one.
    I tipped up myself for it and the lad met me in the local town and brought me to the yard. It was about half an hour from enniskillen i think. As I said b4, i have no regrets getting one anyway.

On the towing issue, I find our one at least as stable as the IW we had, as a matter of fact I found the IW giddy with a load.
    The Tuff Mac I find heavier but was putting this down to the fact that we went from a 12' to a 14'. Its not outrageous though!
    I notice ours has provision for a lit numberplate too, I had to go and check it seen as it was mantioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gifterman

Lads these trailers may look like your getting a good deal but I can tell you that your few hundred euro would be much better spent on an ifor williams, nugent or hudson trailer.. I service trailers myself and have had a few of them in the workshop, rather fresh trailers, with numerous problems from hubs and bearing to springs and suspension..

They really dont stand up to much abuse either the body work on their livestock trailers would hardly stand up to a few sheep never mind a full grown beast..

The wiseman will go for a quality built trailer rather than trying to save a few pennys with a cheap imitation in the short term!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Man, you must really hate these Tuff Mac trailers.
    They must be either really bad or really good. Maybe you could be honest and say where you are coming from on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Limofarmer

Hello all im new to this form so here goes.

Sorry to hijack the thread but does any one have an idea what it would cost to service brakes on a nugent tri axle livestock trailer including new brake shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Limofarmer wrote: »
    Hello all im new to this form so here goes.

Sorry to hijack the thread but does any one have an idea what it would cost to service brakes on a nugent tri axle livestock trailer including new brake shoes

Cost me c. €150 with Murphy's in Tuam, didn't have to do much with brakes though, moreso with lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Limofarmer

Thanks for that .will price around for some quotes

Advertisement