Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving from Galway to Louth tomorrow

Options
  • 07-01-2011 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Have to drive from Galway to Louth tomorrow - using M6, M50 & M1. Leaving Galway at approx 12noon.

Not a confident driver due to being in a car accident on ice when I was a child.

How bad is it likely to be ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

raining in Louth at the min, and 2 degree's, did hear its ment to be -7 tonight but the roads wernt bad at all this morning and i travel back roads. So fingers crossed you shud be ok:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've been given reports from Louth (near Dunleer M1 junction) that a bit of snow did fall, eventually and after a lot of cold rain. Perhaps an inch on the cars I think? That won't cause any problems on the motorways but the issue will be that much of this water will freeze on the roads. The UK Met Office has also issued an orange alert for icy roads in Counties Down and Armagh after the wet stuff freezes over tonight.

I would say that the roads in Louth at least will be fine by after lunch as temperatures will rise above freezing not that long after dawn.

Motorway driving through the midlands should be fine as the roads are likely to be gritted and cars will clear away the small amount of snow that fell there too.

Take care in any case!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Travelling in the middle of the day this should not be a problem at all. Temperatures will be above zero by then and any overnight ice will be gone on those salted motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

You should be fine in the day time as Ardmacha said. I was going to head to dublin from galway this evening but decided tomorrow would be safer with the snow.
    They tend not to grit the fast lane of the m6 motorway however. So avoid using it unless you have to.

Advertisement