Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I use a Sky satellite dish with another set top box?

• 07-01-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use a standard Sky dish / set-top box set-up, but switch the Sky set-top box for another box.

We have a standard Sky set up, but we haven't been paying any subscription for ages now. I was very happy with this as we received a good number of channels. However, reception is on the fritz now and I think it's the box's fault.

1. If I were to buy one of these http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10076&cat=Factory , for example, would it work with the existing sky dish? Would I have to change the bit of the dish that points at the satellite?

B. Can I receive freesat channels in the Republic? I'm in Louth, about 30 km from the border.

Thanks for your help in this. It's pretty confusing to me.

Pat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most of the Free channels on Sky are Freesat. Sky News is not Freesat but FTA.

All FTA (free to Air) and Freesat channels work on a Sky box with no subscription, a FTA receiver and a Freesat receiver.

The Humax will work. But better to invest in HD model (Humax do them too) as even on a non-HD TV the HD channels downconverted via SCART will be better and there is at least one unique HD channel.

There are other reasons too for an HD PVR. http://www.saortv.info/channels/uk-televison/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

Thanks for that, Watty. I think you're right about the HD option. From following your link, it seems I won't have to change anything except the set-top box. Is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Are you sure It's a box problem and not a problem from with the dish ? Have you tried it in another location like a friends/neighbours house to see if the problem re-occurs ?

Also given your closeness to the border you could consider getting a FreeviewHD box which receives it's signal via an Aerial. FreeviewHD should be available from the North when the switches to digital happens in 2012 (I think).

A FreeviewHD box can also receive Saorview the new Irish digital TV service. With the correct Aerial setup you could receive both UK and Irish channels all on one box with one program guide.

That's a very good point Jo. I hadn't considered that. I'll do as you suggest and try the box in a friend's house.I went up a ladder and had a look at the dish but I couldn't see anything wrong. That said, I didn't know the first thing about what I was looking at.

I think I'll go the freesat route. TV has freeview tuner so if that becomes available, well and good. I'll have both options covered then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 radagast

Just wondering which of the "usual" channels are you left with afterwards? I mean ones that someone wouldn't have to go out of their way to add back in ;)

• Advertisement

radagast wrote: »
    Just wondering which of the "usual" channels are you left with afterwards? I mean ones that someone wouldn't have to go out of their way to add back in ;)

Unplug your box, remove your card and power the box back up and you will see exactly what you are left with.

Thanks - will give that a go so!

radagast wrote: »

Radagast

These are the channels we could get using the standard Sky equipment (dish and sky box) without paying any subscription. there are a lot of good channels there. these are the only ones we watched anyway, even when we were paying subscription. The only channel I miss even slightly is Dave.

All of these channels are available without paying a cent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

Thanks Jeff

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RayMers

This might be OT but... We recently got rid of sky, as it was simply costing to much, we still have the dish & box and all the free channels, rte 1 etc...

So Recently out neighbour has got sky, and my dad asked (joking), if we could hook a wire from his dish to our sky box, anyway, the neighbour said work away, and it was no problem... so we are now considering it...

But what I would like to know is...would we have normal sky again...would we have what ever our neighbour has or how would it work...if it would work at all...

If anyone knows, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement

RayMers wrote: »
    This might be OT but... We recently got rid of sky, as it was simply costing to much, we still have the dish & box and all the free channels, rte 1 etc...

So Recently out neighbour has got sky, and my dad asked (joking), if we could hook a wire from his dish to our sky box, anyway, the neighbour said work away, and it was no problem... so we are now considering it...

But what I would like to know is...would we have normal sky again...would we have what ever our neighbour has or how would it work...if it would work at all...

If anyone knows, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Each household requires a separate dish, having 2 house on the same dish is dangerous and will invalid your home insurance. You will not get any pay for TV from a sky dish/receiver without a valid subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

RayMers wrote: »

You still have your dish & box. The only thing different is his card.

He has same signals on his coax cable from his dish as you have. You should have all the Free UK channels still on your own Sky box http://www.saortv.info/channels/uk-televison/
    Also http://www.techtir.ie/saortv

Never connect anything mains operated between houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RayMers

Thanks Watty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Each household requires a separate dish, having 2 house on the same dish is dangerous and will invalid your home insurance. You will not get any pay for TV from a sky dish/receiver without a valid subscription.

absolutely right

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement