Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Belfast (BUT from England) Help much appreciated

Options
  • 07-01-2011 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi i understand that there is already a thread with the titile of moving to Belfast but found that it involved alot of issues involved with being irish i.e. political topics and as I´m neither irish, protestant or catholic I might not need to worry about these things for now....(is this correct?)

Im 20 and from London and looking to work and live in Belfast around the beginning of february, Ive grown tired of London and how expensive it and just want to live in a nice city for a while as I need to save and London is the worst place to save.

Anyway I just wanted to ask a few questions;

is it expensive i.e. rent for a room...(i heard it is quite inexpensive)
    jobwise? (im looking to work in a bar or hotel)
    the people?...(i heard very friendly, but im not sure how ppl are with the english, im sure nice but ive never been to ireland so i wouldnt know)

anything else that i may need to take in to account would be much appreciated

thank you

Gypsy Sun

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Regardless of nationality, accent or religious persuasion the advice on the other thread still stands regarding rent, jobs and the friendliness of the people.

I'm not going to merge the threads however as your specific concerns about coming from England as opposed to Ireland are something that hasn't really come up before. I wouldn't think you'd have too much to worry about as there are plenty of English accents about NI (Belfast moreso perhaps than other towns and cities). Other boardsies may have first-hand experience though...interesting thread I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I think you would in general be grand. There is a bit too much tolerance all over Ireland toward anti-English bigotry imo but for the most part it is nothing dangerous just people being dicks. Try not to let it dishearten you if you get grief over being english most people aren't like that

I know about 4 english guys who live or lived there - all had a great time and loved the place.

Advertisement