Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mototola Xoom - Android 3.0 Tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

What do you think out will be priced at though? €550-600?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Engadget have a great interview with the Honeycomb UI designer who at previous jobs was designer of Palm WebOS & Sidekick UI.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/exclusive-interview-googles-matias-duarte-talks-honeycomb-tab/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I think it's cdma though..
    Hopefully there will be a gsm version announced at mwc or that the g slate will go to t mobile uk and will be 10 inches.. but from what I've read, that is going to be on t mobiles aws 3g and that's a different frequency as well..

So nothing useful yet I don't think.. but only 5 weeks to mwc I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

i would love to get the Xoom.

Finally a worthy tablet OS :) on a great looking tablet :)

Apple got nothing on this :)

But my fears are that were never gonna see Xoom in ireland

C-Shore wrote: »
    I think it's cdma though..
    Hopefully there will be a gsm version announced at mwc or that the g slate will go to t mobile uk and will be 10 inches.. but from what I've read, that is going to be on t mobiles aws 3g and that's a different frequency as well..

So nothing useful yet I don't think.. but only 5 weeks to mwc I suppose!

I'd rather have a wifi only version to be included in any product release.

i would love to get the Xoom.

Finally a worthy tablet OS :) on a great looking tablet :)

Apple got nothing on this :)

But my fears are that were never gonna see Xoom in ireland

Yeah Motorola seem to have given up when it comes to releasing products over here.

Venom wrote: »
    I'd rather have a wifi only version to be included in any product release.

Me too :) if i ever want internet i can just bring the mifi with me or tether of my phone. I wouldn't take one out on a contract
    Venom wrote: »
    Yeah Motorola seem to have given up when it comes to releasing products over here.

Too small of a market. No one is willing to spend big bucks over here. So why keep at it. Would love if we could get the droids over here :S

Just mobile has the Milestone but at that price you can get a desire HD which is far better

http://shop.justmobile.ie/index.cfm?go=consumerAcquisitions.handsetDetail&numOfferingId=21085&priceTypeId=1&productId=10742

Me too :) if i ever want internet i can just bring the mifi with me or tether of my phone. I wouldn't take one out on a contract

Too small of a market. No one is willing to spend big bucks over here. So why keep at it. Would love if we could get the droids over here :S

Just mobile has the Milestone but at that price you can get a desire HD which is far better

http://shop.justmobile.ie/index.cfm?go=consumerAcquisitions.handsetDetail&numOfferingId=21085&priceTypeId=1&productId=10742

I think there is a very good market for high end phones over here with people willing to pay €400-600 for a device and have been since the days of Nokia ruling the roost but Motorola just have such a crap reputation for phones in most peoples minds from the old Razor days.

• Advertisement

i never liked them Razors. They always seemed over hyped cheap ****e.

But its been a long way since that. And Motorola did start of the movement of Android with the Droid line on Verizon.

Hope to see them here back soon in GSM version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Nexus Xoom as a launch honeycomb tablet anyone;):D:D

i wont be spending 500 on this :( 300 is my max :(

Id say it would be definitely over that. Doesn't look like a cheap Chinese tablet

i hope there wont be anymore of this crap like with low end and mid end smartphones. The min standards should be raised for tablets at least.

Stop people from moaning about how their apps dont work or messed up and other kind of **** when they buy a cheap product

notion ink looks like my max :(

Id say it would be definitely over that. Doesn't look like a cheap Chinese tablet

i hope there wont be anymore of this crap like with low end and mid end smartphones. The min standards should be raised for tablets at least.

Stop people from moaning about how their apps dont work or messed up and other kind of **** when they buy a cheap product

The Cnet folks voted the Xoom best of show and a wifi only version has been confirmed. The build quality has been mentioned as being better than the ipad and a Feb launch is looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Definitely excited by this. I think I'll sit back for a little bit and see which has the most hackability though. Xoom will definitely be one of the big sellers, but if it's too locked down, custom ROMs might not be an option.

The reason I still love my Desire and I'm not itching to get a Nexus S is because of the ROM community.

well i would imagine since 3.0 hasn't been released it would take a while to bring in any custom roms or hackability. as far as i remember motorola has tight security on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

So will there be much more apps available on this than a phone with 3.0? As far as I can tell with other android tablets, they are just large versions of an android phone!

• Advertisement

I dont think there is any info on will the tablets have android apps or separate. I imagine they want the system to stay similar to the phone to keep the developers

When Andy Rubin first showed off the Motorola Xoom running Honeycomb, he pointed out that the Maps app it was running was the exact same as the one for current Android phones, so I think it will introduce new APIs for adapting to resolutions and screen sizes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Popple3 wrote: »
    When Andy Rubin first showed off the Motorola Xoom running Honeycomb, he pointed out that the Maps app it was running was the exact same as the one for current Android phones, so I think it will introduce new APIs for adapting to resolutions and screen sizes

Think that actually came in as part of 1.6

Think that actually came in as part of 1.6

Yeah, but you were still left with the same UI elements (without creating your own). I'd imagine Honeycomb will basically extend this and make it so little needs to be changed to add proper tablet support to existing apps. At least I hope so.

I'm torn between the Xoom and the EeePad Slider. If Asus put stock Honeycomb on their tablets, I think I'll go for the Slider, otherwise I'll go with the Xoom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I don't think they can make them too expensive if they plan to try and shift up to a million units in the first quarter

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375533,00.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Popple3 wrote: »
    Definitely excited by this. I think I'll sit back for a little bit and see which has the most hackability though. Xoom will definitely be one of the big sellers, but if it's too locked down, custom ROMs might not be an option.

The reason I still love my Desire and I'm not itching to get a Nexus S is because of the ROM community.

Motorola are the worst when it comes to locking down their devices. Boycott tbh. Android is so open that OEMs are free to close it.

Advertisement