Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex LFC fans-now utd. "fans"

• 07-01-2011 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question for the united fans here.When I was growing up in the late 80s-early 90's,everyone supported Liverpool.They were the successful team at the time(I was an outsider as a Celtic fan,but thats my fathers fault:D.) I never recall any young lads wearing united shirts. It was all Liverpool-crown paints, and Candy shirts. How many ex LFC fans became United fans when the tide turned? I know of a few myself and theres nothing worse than a gloryhunter.Just a question...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

All of us imo, even the ones who were not born when LFC were the top team.
    This might come as a shock to you but there was as many United fans as pool fans even back then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    I never recall any young lads wearing united shirts..

Were you blindfolded all through the 80s and early 90s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Poor attempt to elicit a United-Pool ****fest.

Try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

d22ontour wrote: »
    All of us imo, even the ones who were not born when LFC were the top team.
    This might come as a shock to you but there was as many United fans as pool fans even back then...
    So why no united jerseys being worn back then?EVERYTHING was Liverpool.

stovelid wrote: »
    Were you blindfolded all through the 80s and early 90s?
    No. For every sharp there were 14 or 15 crown paints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Weak thread is weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Like fúck you know how many United fans and Liverpool fans there were back then. Sure you wouldn't even have a clue what the proportions are now.

Yet another load of bullshít from Parkhead67.

Mister men wrote: »
    Weak thread is weak.
    It was just an observation of my younger days.You look sideways today and you see some imbo with a united top on.Half of em think cantonas still playing.When I was growing up united were a very poor team and no-one supported em.Now its "go Man-u"- glory hunters. If Liverpool were top dogs again theyd be LFC fans.I know theres loads of genuine man-u fans out there-what Im saying is none of em claimed to support man-u when I was growing up-ALL LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

It's amusing that this thread was started by a Celtic fan.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Like fúck you know how many United fans and Liverpool fans there were back then. Sure you wouldn't even have a clue what the proportions are now.

Yet another load of bullshít from Parkhead67.
    From personal experience my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

what a stupid thread. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Just a quick question for the united fans here.When I was growing up in the late 80s-early 90's,everyone supported Liverpool.They were the successful team at the time(I was an outsider as a Celtic fan,but thats my fathers fault:D.) I never recall any young lads wearing united shirts. It was all Liverpool-crown paints, and Candy shirts. How many ex LFC fans became United fans when the tide turned? I know of a few myself and theres nothing worse than a gloryhunter.Just a question...

paper fans

meh

you wont find paper toffees, thats for sure...

in more ways than one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

From personal experience my friend.

Do you not see any flaw in using your own personal experiences to generalise about entire fanbases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Why didn't your old man support Hibs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There have been United fans in this country for decades. Johnny Carey was one of Ireland's greatest players and played for United from the late thirties to the early fifties and is regarded as one of the clubs earliest greats. Also there was a huge outpouring of affection for United after the Munich Air Disaster, when one of Ireland's biggest talents Liam 'Billy' Whelan died in the crash. There's a documentary on Youtube where his family talked about how people would attend the cinema to catch newsreel clips of how he did and how they'd listen out for United's results. I've family members who travelled over to watch games at Old Trafford in the seventies and it wasn't like they were alone. There have been Irish Man United fans for a long, long time, even throughout United's bad periods, and there will continue to be Irish United fans if another bad period arrives in the future.

Why didn't your old man support Hibs?
    Hed never have been able to get over trainspotting shur.

There have been United fans in this country for decades. Johnny Carey was one of Ireland's greatest players and played for United from the late thirties to the early fifties and is regarded as one of the clubs earliest greats. Also there was a huge outpouring of affection for United after the Munich Air Disaster, when one of Ireland's biggest talents Liam 'Billy' Whelan died in the crash. There's a documentary on Youtube where his family talked about how people would attend the cinema to catch newsreel clips of how he did and how they'd listen out for United's results. I've family members who travelled over to watch games at Old Trafford in the seventies and it wasn't like they were alone. There have been Irish Man United fans for a long, long time, even throughout United's bad periods, and there will continue to be Irish United fans if another bad period arrives in the future.
    I dont dispute that.Its the glory hunting turncoats I cant stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Didnt you support rangers during the 9 in a row years op? Could have sworn there was more gers tops about in those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I smell a troll

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Didnt you support rangers during the 9 in a row years op? Could have sworn there was more gers tops about in those days.
    Ha ha.Did you grow up in the shankill road or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I know the OP is a wind-up but I would have said fairly evens and I was a teenager in the 80s. Obviously that's just a general impression and memory and not scientific fact but the OP sounds like a similar ball of shite to the Only city supporters come from Manchester line.

Certainly the EPL teams of my closest bunch of mates in Dublin (same age group as me) would be roughly equal for United and Liverpool with a Spurs and Everton in there as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I dont dispute that.Its the glory hunting turncoats I cant stand.

The only thing i hate is bitter fans with nothing better to do than make random gereralisations based on personal misconceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm waiting for the ex united fans now liverpool fans thread.

Hed never have been able to get over trainspotting shur.

Come on man, you can do better than that.

I smell a troll
    me too

The Muppet wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the ex united fans now liverpool fans thread.
    Fat chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

parkhead67 is the star of the show tonight:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

When I was growing up united were a very poor team and no-one supported em.

This was pre Munich ? :)

Man United have been huge in this country for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

From my non-scientific and purely dodgy vantage point, I would have always been of the opinion that there were a higher proportion of Liverpool fans in Dublin and more United fans outside.

• Advertisement

Come on man, you can do better than that.
    Not much better Im afraid.;)

BERBA wrote: »
    parkhead67 is the star of the show tonight:p

Well let's be honest, the competition wasn't up to much.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

OP is probably still upset at his "Mo Johnston 4 eva" tattoo.... :)

lordgoat wrote: »
    The only thing i hate is bitter fans with nothing better to do than make random gereralisations based on personal misconceptions.
    o god.What have I done??

SK1979 wrote: »
    OP is probably still upset at his "Mo Johnston 4 eva" tattoo.... :)
    Poor aul Shyte from you sir:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

as fergie once said "theres 2 things never changes in a man, his walk, and his football team".....

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    Well let's be honest, the competition wasn't up to much.:p
    But Im still the star:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

The thread is probably a wind up, but I do recall a couple of lads I know really well being Liverpool fans and now they are encyclopedias on all things United. To the untrained eye they appear to be the greatest United fans of all time.

One lad in particular, its actually funny he lives and breaths United from about the age of 13 or 14(around the time things started to get tasty for United) to the present. Theres been a slight lull the last couple of seasons where his interest has dropped, he followed rugby with a passion for couple of years, not its full steam ahead for United again!!! its quite funny though. I don't know how people do it. Its the old story of someone being a glory hunter.

I am a liverpool fan myself, and when I was a kid they were the team to beat, although my memories of our last league title are very vague at this stage. The test of a fan is to see if they swtich. A true fan will never switch. I don't understand how you can switch allegiances, let alone between sides who are such bitter rivals.

Saying that, I remember a good few United fans when I was a kid and United were trophyless for most of that time. So thats admirable in itself. I remember mates of mine going nuts when United beat Barca in the Cup Winners Cup final in 1991 I think it was. I always respect the lifelong United fans, its the lads who jumped on the bandwagon during the good times that I can't stand. And there are loads more glory hunting United fans today than fickle Liverpool fans.

But Im still the star:D

Definitely, but in the same way as Ronan Keating is the Star in Boyzone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

sure half the crew on that utd superthread started following em in 1999:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

sharkman wrote: »
    as fergie once said "theres 2 things never changes in a man, his walk, and his football team".....
    What if the man got knee capped or his dog chewed his leg off? He'd walk different then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I don't think any United or Liverpool fan would ever switch sides if only for the simple reason that they would lose all respect amongst their friends.

However I think the OP does have a point, despite the fact that he phrased it in a horrible manner.

I know from my own experience, I'm 19, that in secondary school of a class of 40 there were maybe 7 Liverpool fans, about 18 or 20 United fans, 7 Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham and Athletic Bilbao lumped together and maybe 5 or 6 lads who never had an interest in sport.

The main reason for this I believe is the fact that when lads my age were finalising who they supported, circa 1999-2002, it was Manchester United who were winning all around them and thus they were the key attraction to picking a team. I picked Liverpool to be different because my 3 best mates were United and I adored Michael Owen at the time.

Now I asked my father, who incidentally is a Leeds fan, and he said it was the same ratio when he was in school 20 years before me except Liverpool outnumbered United fans by about 3 to 1. Again the main reason for this was that Liverpool were the successful team of the era and had many more young followers.

Young lads either follow their father or they follow the biggest team of the day usually Liverpool or United. My father never put pressure on me to support Leeds thank god or I'd be cursing him now but nonetheless I think that successful teams always attract followers.

I'll bet for those of you 35 or older you see many more Chelsea and Arsenal shirts than was ever seen in the 80's and I'm sure a few can remember Blackburn shirts in the 90's. My cousin who's 25 supports Blackburn for no other reason other than they won the league the year he started following football.

Success brings in fans. That's the way it is. Watch out for City jersies coming along in their droves soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

People say this alot, I didn't notice it in general, once I looked beyond my own estate.

Every kid on my street was a liverpool fan and me and the brother were united and the da man city. But in primary school is was fairly balanced. We used to play utd v pool fans in the yard and it was about 50/50 with two arsenal fans who played on the liverpool side :rolleyes: that was 80's through to the 90's and secondary school was the same normally 50/50 with the odd random toffee/spurs fan.

I've only met one person in my life that jumped ship but he seemed to do it most seasons following the previous winners :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I could ask why you dont support Hibernian or Dundee United, eh?

I don't think any United or Liverpool fan would ever switch sides if only for the simple reason that they would lose all respect amongst their friends.

However I think the OP does have a point, despite the fact that he phrased it in a horrible manner.

I know from my own experience, I'm 19, that in secondary school of a class of 40 there were maybe 7 Liverpool fans, about 18 or 20 United fans, 7 Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham and Athletic Bilbao lumped together and maybe 5 or 6 lads who never had an interest in sport.

The main reason for this I believe is the fact that when lads my age were finalising who they supported, circa 1999-2002, it was Manchester United who were winning all around them and thus they were the key attraction to picking a team. I picked Liverpool to be different because my 3 best mates were United and I adored Michael Owen at the time.

Now I asked my father, who incidentally is a Leeds fan, and he said it was the same ratio when he was in school 20 years before me except Liverpool outnumbered United fans by about 3 to 1. Again the main reason for this was that Liverpool were the successful team of the era and had many more young followers.

Young lads either follow their father or they follow the biggest team of the day usually Liverpool or United. My father never put pressure on me to support Leeds thank god or I'd be cursing him now but nonetheless I think that successful teams always attract followers.

I'll bet for those of you 35 or older you see many more Chelsea and Arsenal shirts than was ever seen in the 80's and I'm sure a few can remember Blackburn shirts in the 90's. My cousin who's 25 supports Blackburn for no other reason other than they won the league the year he started following football.

Success brings in fans. That's the way it is. Watch out for City jersies coming along in their droves soon enough.
    I didnt phrase it in a horrible manner. Anyway thanks for agreeing with ;)me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

soon enough? it's all ready happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

sure half the crew on that utd superthread started following em in 1999:rolleyes:

You must be ancient cos its a hell of a long time since spurs were successful;)

Bad choice, you should have picked United and you could still adore Michael Owen, It's never too late.;)

I could ask why you dont support Hibernian or Dundee United, eh?
    U been on the crack pipe tonight??Eh? When I was growin up rangers were doin their 9 in a row thing. 1 thing you definitely COULD NOT call me was a gloryhunter.

Is that a bad thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

You must be ancient cos its a hell of a long time since spurs were successful;)

BERBA really wanted his user name to be DANNY BLANCHFLOWER but that would've looked silly so he settled on BERBA me thinks.!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement