Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yashica Mat 124G vs Mamiya c330 [light meter/exposure]

Options
  • 07-01-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    Looking to get more into medium format.
    SO was thinking Mamiya c33O, because of the interchangeable lens, some go down to 2.8 aperture where as i think Yashica is 3.5 or so.

However main problem lies in getting the correct exposure, Yashica has a built in light meter, not hearing great stuff about it, but can i trust this? or is a stand alone light meter the way to go?

I'm not quite sure how light meters work, i assume they just give you the optimal aperture level ? if anyone could recommend one, it would be great, nothing to pricey i guess.

Thanks

P.S: why does one lens [viewing] differ in aperture from the other [taking], is it so the picture appears as bright as possible in the viewfinder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The light meter on the 124g is grand for the most part, I've been happy with it for B&W and C-41. I'm not so sure I'd trust it with slide. It does ideally need a mercury battery replacement of some description, I used to jimmy sr44s into it and just compensate using the iso dial.
    Other than that the 124s are pretty nice cameras, and pretty well regarded.
    The mamiya cameras are huge, solid, and heavy. they focus much more closely than the yashica TLRs and I think they have some way of displaying parallax errors, but closeup stuff is probably the last thing you want to be doing with a tlr anyhow.

Light meters are easy enough to use. with the modern digital meters you just use them in either shutter or aperture preferred modes. Ie, enter your desired shutter speed, take a reading, and you'll get the corresponding aperture value or vice versa. Typically then you can click up and down through the equivalent ev values. Older meters I've used you take an ev reading and then transfer it to a dial which gives you corresponding pairs of aperture and shutter speed values.

My 124 has a taking lens that maxes out at about 3.5, and a viewing lens at 2.8. Couple of reasons, one is to ensure that it's as bright as possible, the other gives you a bit of leeway woth focusing. If it's in focus at 2.8 then you can be reasonably sure it's in focus at 3.5. I guess they didn't regard the yashinon's performance at 2.8 to be acceptable for a taking lens but it's grand as a viewing lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

took me ages, but i finally got one €202 euros, impulse 'buy it now'. Need one for next weekend. Its got a new battery for the light meter, however im not sure how accurate it will be. Will it do the job? or should i get an external light meter, any suggestions on cheap ones?

Was on verge of going for a rolleiflex, was also looking at Mamiya m645, but went for yashica in the end. Cheers for the help

Advertisement