Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Components Irish?

Options
  • 07-01-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking to get some bits and pieces for upgrading various computers around the house. Been doing some research and I'm at my wits end trying to keep my purchases Irish.

Taking a Seagate 500GB MomentusXT Drive as an example (Including express delivery):

Dab.ie (An English company): €118.75

Misco.ie (An English Company): €131.77

MemoryC.com (Irish): €139.15

Shop4Memory (Same company as MemoryC): €148

I actually went to the bother of emailing MemoryC to try get them to price match and to my utter surprise they wouldn't. The only advantage other than supporting an Irish retailer by shopping with MemoryC is that I'll get it probably a day earlier.

Why can't Irish retailers compete?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

There's also komplett.ie, pixmania.ie and elara.ie if you haven't already tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

cian1500ww wrote: »
    There's also komplett.ie, pixmania.ie and elara.ie if you haven't already tried them.

Trying to keep it as Irish as possible. Komplett and Pixmania don't stock it. And Elara come in at a laughable €140 ex delivery. I'm sorry but I can't stomach a €20 difference in price. eBuyer UK is €120.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Trying to keep it as Irish as possible. Komplett and Pixmania don't stock it. And Elara come in at a laughable €140 ex delivery. I'm sorry but I can't stomach a €20 difference in price. eBuyer UK is €120.
    Don't bother, go with the cheapest, you'll very rarely get hardware at a good price from Irish sellers unfortunately :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There's not many 100% dedicated Irish component retailers due to high storage prices, so some things are outsourced.

Memoryc, komplett, elara are the big 3 that have warehouses in Ireland that I'm aware of. Any other site that I've came across does not. Buy off them you're pretty much buying Irish... well as Irish sa you can get.

Some of the stuff I got from Komplett came from the Netherlands IIRC.They do have a pick-up point in Blanch which is quite handy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Some of the stuff I got from Komplett came from the Netherlands IIRC.They do have a pick-up point in Blanch which is quite handy.

Yeah, but they keep a large number of their stock in a warehouse there too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Why can't Irish retailers compete?

Because they're still stuck in the era of the Celtic tiger, can charge whatever price they like for things and get away with it. On the principle of this, I tend to shop elsewhere a majority of the time. Eventually, when they're starved of enough business, they might learn. Until they do, the only way to get a message through is the way that hurts - their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Plus a higher VAT rate doesn't do any favours, although it will be closer to the UK now.
    I thought our VAT was going up to 22% at the beginning of the year, or is it scheduled for later? It's still on the revenue site as 21% http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/current-historic-rates-vat.html#rates.

To be honest, it's usually pointless to be noble with computer hardware, although I'd overlook a couple of euro on a single item. You do get some consolation that if anything goes wrong, they're just around the corner and delivery is generally fast. Also, memoryc has free delivery (for an item of that price) and don't forget those awesome memoryc points that you can collect. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

Misco.ie (An English Company): €131.77

I think misco are a division of tigerdirect which are either canadian or american.

Advertisement