Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About the house-Power Of 1 energy effiecency

Options
  • 07-01-2011 11:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone here see todays episode of "about the house" with Duncan Stuart??

Part of the programme involved 2 lads from a company called "Power of One" comming to a couples 2005 built 4 bed house to do an energy survey for them

The couple were using too much power and energy,and the husband said they had only 1 energy effiecent light bulb in the entire house.

The husband shows the energy survey chap the kitchen.

The camera pans up to the ceiling,and clearly shows all the recessed downlighters in the kitchen area.Clearly,you can see that they are normal/old style 50w lights,(the hot ones,as I refer to them).

The husband says to the chap that theres 16 downlights in the kitchen/dining area.And that they use this kitchen and room as their main room when they are in the house.

The energy survey chap says "thats alot of power and energy being wasted just in the kitchen".

Now his next comment really gobsmacked me and shocked me.

The energy chaps next comment was (and I kid you not)....."Sure you can just get a table lamp and put it down this end and it will cut down the energy wastage".

SWEET LORD JESUS......................does this chap not know about energy effiecent cfl downlight bulbs or LED bulbs.

What sort of useless advice is that to be given from this chap who is an energy effiecency surveyor from this company called "The Power of One".

What a complete numpty and gobshyte to say that and then for it to be broadcast on the About the house programmme.:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

To "The Power of One".........................you should be completely ashamed of yourselves for giving out that useless and pointless advice,and especially on television to the nation too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Typical About the house kind of stuff.....I suppose Duncan was smiling from ear to ear with these gems of energy saving wisdom!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Was he pulling the piss?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

beanie10 wrote: »
    Was he pulling the piss?

No, the energy chap was deadly serious,thats what the crazy/shocking thing about it is.:eek::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Suppose its no surprise they are government backed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

paddy147 wrote: »
    The energy chaps next comment was (and I kid you not)....."Sure you can just get a table lamp and put it down this end and it will cut down the energy wastage".

Reminds me of a skit I heard of Eddie Hobbs a while ago. He was at a couples house and talking about saving money. He said that they should remove the front door from the house because it costs money to paint it...........

Sounds familiar.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

nothing with rte surprises me no more

if they stopped transmitting they would save a lot of power...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Reminds me of a skit I heard of Eddie Hobbs a while ago. He was at a couples house and talking about saving money. He said that they should remove the front door from the house because it costs money to paint it...........

Sounds familiar.....
    :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

nothing with rte surprises me no more

if they stopped transmitting they would save a lot of power...

FPMSL at that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

That remonds me of a tv programme about a fella who thought he was immune to electrical current. He would kneel on a plastic milk crate and one hand touching a high voltage terminal from a tv transformer(other pole is earthed), and the other hand about an inch from a block of wood on the floor and an arc could be seen jumping the gap.

The surprising bit was the top electrical engineers they had were baffled, they said they will get a multi meter to test the current through him but a standard one wont be able to handle it.

The bit in bold was what i found a big surprise. I thought it straight forward as to what was happening, and that any simple ammeter would show us a very low current was passing. But the supposedly top electrical brains were baffled? Sounds similar to this thread.

something similar- a sparkie i trained with used to hold the phase/line wires at upstairs switches

and someone would stick a phase tester on his arm and it would light up

i never bothered with it:)

• Advertisement

M cebee wrote: »
    something similar- a sparkie i trained with used to hold the phase/line wires at upstairs switches

and someone would stick a phase tester on his arm and it would light up

i never bothered with it:)

ha ha was it me ye were with, guilty as "charged" once or twice:eek:

have you tried that

I have done, not that i will be recommending anyone tries it, but the reality is absolutely nothing is perceived in dry conditions with shoes on, and upstairs in a house it certainly wont be. Even on a farm when everything was damp its not very strong a perception of it just in contact with a live terminal, anytime anyone gets a nice nasty shock there will almost certainly be 2 points of contact other than the feet on the ground.

Stand barefoot on the damp ground and its a different story though, a nice shock would be received. I wont be trying that:).

Thats how the "electric man" in my above post was able to do it, he somehow discovered he could do what he did on a milk crate and touching a block of wood with the other hand and create a small arc. High voltage between his finger in one hand and through extremely high resistance block of wood and an air gap. The air gap being by far the highest impedence part of the circuit and so most of the high voltage was across this with the least across him as his impedence was the lowest in the circuit. No mystery except to the electrical engineers on the TV programme. Had he stood on the ground he would of been severely shocked. Only a few milli amps was flowing when they eventually measured it.

Advertisement