Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a house - are you thinking of selling?

Options
  • 08-01-2011 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

We have been house hunting for the past 3.5 years and have not yet been successful in buying anything. We have put good bids (at least 85% of asking price) on at least 5 properties at this stage, but none of these have been accepted (and none of these properties have sold since).

We are mortgage approved (as of December 2010) and have a large cash input, so we are extremely frustrated at this stage needless to say and just want to get settled in somewhere.

Our requirements are relatively simple:
    • South Sligo/Longford/Leitrim/North Roscommon area
    • Close to the N4 - i.e. not in the middle of nowhere, where you have a 15 min drive just to get to a main road/shop
    • Minimum 4 bed, ideally with 2 reception rooms
    • Built by a builder (not a self-build by Mickey Joe the farmer/garda)
    • Good BER rating (well insulated and easily heated)
    • Not already on Daft/My Home/Property News as we have seen them all...
    Please PM me with details if you have a suitable property in mind. Thank you very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Go to literally EVERY estate agent in Sligo. Other than that I have no idea apart from daft.ie etc but you don't want that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

We have been house hunting for the past 3.5 years and have not yet been successful in buying anything.

In that time you could have bought a site, got planning & built your own home to your exact requirements & specifications.

And probably for less than 85% of the asking price of most of the houses you put offers on.

I'm sure that thought may have crossed your mind, so if you think of going that route, send me a PM as I know an excellent architect. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Its rare to buy a house when you haven't had to make any compromises, unless money is no object. How many did you view?

has your search criteria immediately ruled out potential houses without visiting them? ie;....visit a few that meet some, but not all of your requirments and you might be surprised.

5 bids in 3.5 years is not a lot to be fair...could you compromise some of your requirements?....at the same time, its a good time to buy if you have a lump of cash...I cant see that position changing for a good few years...

otherwise as starbelgrade has advised, you might be best to build your own..good luck with the hunt....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I know someone who moved into the Sligo area about 3 years ago and is still making offers on Houses without any joy. You say you are making good offers of 85% asking, he says the same but in reality he is looking for the best deals then making more like 75% max offers and falling out with all the auctioneers when the offers are rejected. maybe the houses are already at rock bottom.

What I would do is go the starbelgrade route but instead of looking for a site look for a house that is half way finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I wonder what the cheapest 4 bedroom house, which is reasonably modern / livable in , would be in the Sligo/Longford/Leitrim/North Roscommon area? Anyone seen any adds for the cheapest ?
    Given there are so many empty properties, and developers gone bust / in trouble, I would have thought somewhere there are some for sale at less that it would cost to build them ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

What is your price range OP?

I know this house and it has been for sale for quite some time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

At the moment, most people are not selling unless "they have to sell", ie: they are prepared to sit on their house until they get the asking price, or close to, to let them make their next move.

Dare I say it, the next phase might well be a flow of repossessions over the next few years, when poor folk are forced to sell...God forbid, horrible as it is, but it may be a reality.

My point is, you might well have to sit things out for another while, until an "opportunity comes about", or raise your offer to asking if the house is right for you, that would be my advice, what about the 5 you offered on? no point in trying to get a better deal when your perfect house goes by you...good luck..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

bennyc wrote: »
    What I would do is go the starbelgrade route but instead of looking for a site look for a house that is half way finished.

I'd be very wary about buying a half finished house. It would need a very detailed & costly engineer's report on everything from compliance with Building Regs, to certification of structure & services. Those fees would be better spent on a design for a layout you actually want.

On top of that, it would probably not be covered by Homebond (or similar) and it would also be more difficult & more expensive to get the property insured.

On top of that, a lot of houses that were built over the last 10-15 years were very poorly designed in relation to conservation of energy & how they relate to the sites they are on.

Typical problems include not taking into account the correct orientation to maximise solar gain, unnecesary exposure to prevailing winds, lack of wind shelterbelts to windward sides, low levels of insulation and designing houses with very deep plans - again, poor in terms of solar gain and in terms of light distribution throughout the house, leading to darkened rooms even during daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I'd be very wary about buying a half finished house. It would need a very detailed & costly engineer's report on everything from compliance with Building Regs, to certification of structure & services. Those fees would be better spent on a design for a layout you actually want.

On top of that, it would probably not be covered by Homebond (or similar) and it would also be more difficult & more expensive to get the property insured.

On top of that, a lot of houses that were built over the last 10-15 years were very poorly designed in relation to conservation of energy & how they relate to the sites they are on.

Typical problems include not taking into account the correct orientation to maximise solar gain, unnecesary exposure to prevailing winds, lack of wind shelterbelts to windward sides, low levels of insulation and designing houses with very deep plans - again, poor in terms of solar gain and in terms of light distribution throughout the house, leading to darkened rooms even during daylight.

Fair points , I was thinking of the builder who built my house, he has his own house close to finish and had to move on himself. Cracking house 4000sq foot and best of everything in so far. Dont think he is selling yet mind you.

Advertisement