Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statue of St Joseph

Options
  • 08-01-2011 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi gardeners, Would anyone know where I could buy a statue of St Joseph? Cheers;)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Interesting - I googled 'statue of St. Joseph' and found that people often bury one in their garden in order to sell their house. If this is what you're after, I found one on the Veritas website for €5.45 including handling fee - postage is free within Ireland.

I've ordered one myself and will be burying it as soon as it arrives :)

If that's not what you're after they also sell larger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JinksyCat

I think that's what I'm looking for Dizzy blonde, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

This is truly wierd stuff guys , if I bought a house and found a statue burried in the garden i would be really creeped out :eek:

When i bought my house it was empty bar a child of prague and that was bad enough ! ( I put him on the compost heap, he didnt last long and I got holy compost:D)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just buy any statue of a bearded figure and call it st. joseph. it's not as if we know what he looked like.

ah now , is this for real? sounds like the tooth fairy for house sellers !:D

or is it some kinda "in" joke I'm not aware of?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd never heard of it before the OP started this thread but when I googled it there was a lot about it on the net.
    I'm trying it out so I'll let you know if it works ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

My mum found a little religious statue in her garden last summer and we wondered what is about and why it was there. After googling it looks like it was a St Joseph statue.
    Another mystery solved by boards people . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Never heard of this before (and not knockin it :p) do you think NAMA would benefit or maybe a couple o hundred should be sent out to all local County Council's for burial in the problematic ghost estates we have all over the country? :)

Antiquo wrote: »
    Never heard of this before (and not knockin it :p) do you think NAMA would benefit or maybe a couple o hundred should be sent out to all local County Council's for burial in the problematic ghost estates we have all over the country? :)

lol that may need the help of a bit of the true cross:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MONZO

I heard St. Joseph statues used in the USA to sell property and the person who used it said it worked every time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

MONZO wrote: »
    I heard St. Joseph statues used in the USA to sell property and the person who used it said it worked every time!
    I suppose if you wait long enough you'll find someone interested. Kinda like this thread just waiting 2years for an update!

Does the person have to want to sell, or could I get rid of neighbours I don't like by secretly gifting them statues in their front gardens?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am trying to figure out how that whole thing could have started? I mean, if you accidentally buried a statue why would you mentally link it to selling the house. And it seems a bit irreligious to bury St Joseph anyway. Or you moved into a house and found a statue in the garden, would you think 'oh this must be why they managed to sell this place to us'?

Edit, hm, ok. http://www.fisheaters.com/stjoestatue.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I know, it sounds mad, doesn't it. I heard a story once about a couple who wanted to sell but were finding it difficult so they decided to bury a St. Joe in the garden. After getting tons of conflicting advice on whether he should be in the front or back garden, standing or lying, facing the house of facing away, they thought 'feck it' and got a couple of dozen little statues and buried them every way they could think of. Two days later a developer bought their entire neighbourhood.

It's nonsense, but it's entertaining nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I don't knoiw where it comes from but many have said it worked for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Don't Knock it (pun intended) cheaper than paying a auctioneer 🤠......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why the 11 year old zombie thread resurrection?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is a joke there about digging it up.

I was reading down the answers and in one I thought, yes, that's what I was thinking. Then I looked at who wrote it, it was me, 11 years ago 😀

Advertisement