Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit Cut

Options
  • 08-01-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi

I recently left a property which i rented for a year or so. I provided the property spanking clean however there were two issues because of which the landlady has cut 300 euros.

a) the blinds had mould growing on them because of moisture on the windows, being fabric blinds it got stained
    b) Hob was slightly damaged i.e its ceramic came off due to use. i imagine that is wear and tear.

Now at the time i was told that the blinds were for 1500 euros and thats considerable damage to the blinds hence she is cutting the deposit. I didnt say anything and took the rest of my deposit back and walked out.

Now i feel that its unfair cutting three hundred euros , as i think that comes in wear n tear, it was my fault that it had mould growing on it because of the moisture on windows.

Can i do anything about it? can i go to PRTB and open a case with them to get the remainder of the money back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

WTF?

Yes, get thee to the PRTB. Mould on blinds is a new one and never a tenants problem. Stick this one out and get your full deposit back.
    chursy wrote:
    it was my fault that it had mould growing on it because of the moisture on windows.

What? The build quality and lack of insulation against cold is not your problem and not your cost.

That LL is taking the proverbial, sick to your guns as the law is on your side. Cases like this wish there were stronger protection laws for tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can't say about the hob, it would depend if its wear or broken. If its just wear, then that shouldn't be deducted.

Mould can be cleaned. Usually it because of lack of ventilation that cause that. Yes it can be a leak, damp etc but thats far less common. You can have one tenant who can live in house for years, with no mould, and another who will have mould everywhere within a month or so.

Do you or she have photo of before and after to prove this? If you could appeal to the PRTB and at the end of the next iceage, you'll probably get the money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

BostonB wrote: »
    Mould can be cleaned. Usually it because of lack of ventilation that cause that. Yes it can be a leak, damp etc but thats far less common. You can have one tenant who can live in house for years, with no mould, and another who will have mould everywhere within a month or so.

Can you please let me know then how to clean mould off fabric blinds, as I have the same problem where I'm renting. I heat the house, open windows, but there is nothing to be done when the whole place is damp and extractor fans are not installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was being simplistic, which I accept shouldn't have been, If you've a damp problem thats entirely different. Once the mould starts it can be cleaned. If its left on the blind to spread and grow, I doubt theres much you can so with it alright. Especially its soft fabric. Mine have a waxy finish which can be cleaned.

Most houses I've been in have no extractors and have no problem with mould. The only exception to that I've see are windowless shower/bathrooms rooms, which are nigh impossible to ventilate/dehumidify even with fans. Thats just bad design. If theres a damp problem like a leak or similar. Then the only solution is to fix that problem.

Still if its all documented, with photos etc, you can take it to the PRTB. You've nothing to lose by doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

The blinds are not your fault.

Go to an electrical shop and price ceramic hobs. If more than 300 walk away - if less look fir a lower reduction in your deposit.

Ceramic hobs shouldnt suffer wear and tear unless:
    Incorrect type of pans used
    unsuitable cleaners used

If the hob is badly damaged the landlord can claim you were negligent

• Advertisement
Advertisement