Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moody 7 Month old Kitten

• 08-01-2011 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm having some problems with my wee cat. He's about 7 and half months old. I brought him in be neutered last month, and since bringing him home I've had some trouble.

Before he went in he was a bundle of energy. Constantly running around, jumping on this, climbing that, scratching his post and pouncing at his toys. When I first brought him home he seemed to start resuming his normal character after a few days but then things went downhill

First came diarrhea. This went on for a few days and the entire time he became more groggy, sleepy, lethargic, grumpy and his appetite fell dramatically. It did clear up however. Then I had to ask a friend to mind for two weeks over Christmas as I was traveling home and wasn't in a position to take him with me. He now has been home with me about a week, and I'm still worried. He's once again lethargic, grumpy, and distant. He doesn't care at all about the toys that only a month ago would send him spinning in excitement and his appetite is worrying (he eats about 30g of dry kitten food a day, though still loves tuna, which I used as a treat). I asked my friend how he was during his stay with her and while she said that he was less energetic she wouldn't describe him as lethargic and he ate everything he was given.

I'm worried and willing to bring him back to the vet, but I'm just hoping to hear from other experienced cat owners first. I understand that neutering brings some change to cats, but this seems more dramatic that anyone could have predicted.

Help?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I would advise a trip to the vet really. Both of my guys have been neutered and my oriental cross is still a complete loony. He does however, eat his toys. Especially ones with string. He then gets very lethargic like that and loses his appetite etc until he either vomits it up or... well, you get the picture. The same thing may have happened to your guy. Neutering doesn't bring on a change of personality. Our older cat was known as lazy cat by anyone who visited cos all he ever did was sit on the back of the couch (he's also neutered). Then about a month ago we changed his food and suddenly he's dashing up and down the stairs and having mad moments all over again. Your fella is still on kitten food though so that shouldn't be a problem.

I think your best bet really is to bring him to a vet and get him checked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The symptoms you describe sound like an infection or illness - they aren't the sort of 'changes' you would associate with neutering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Shanao wrote: »
    I would advise a trip to the vet really. Both of my guys have been neutered and my oriental cross is still a complete loony. He does however, eat his toys. Especially ones with string. He then gets very lethargic like that and loses his appetite etc until he either vomits it up or... well, you get the picture. The same thing may have happened to your guy. Neutering doesn't bring on a change of personality. Our older cat was known as lazy cat by anyone who visited cos all he ever did was sit on the back of the couch (he's also neutered). Then about a month ago we changed his food and suddenly he's dashing up and down the stairs and having mad moments all over again. Your fella is still on kitten food though so that shouldn't be a problem.

I think your best bet really is to bring him to a vet and get him checked up.

Sorry is your cat eating the string? One of our cats eats some string and it got entangled in his gut. It didn't end well for the little guy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

He ate it once but thankfully passed it. We dont let any string toys out while we're not there to supervise so he thankfully hasn't done it since. I know it can be highly dangerous, that's why i was advising a vet visit

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭portach king

Thanks for the advise. He hasn't improved over the weekend I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be ok for the little guy

• Advertisement
Advertisement