Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First build, would this work??

Options
  • 08-01-2011 3:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Any help would be appreciated this will be my first build. The posts here have helped me a lot but i might have a bit more research to do.

I'm hoping all these components are compatible and can become a decent system for gaming and movies that would last me a while.

- AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz Black Edition AM3 Socket L2/L3 8MB

- Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3, AMD 880G, AM3, 4DDR3, DSUB DVI HDMI, 2PCI-Ex16, Raid,USB3 & SATA6, ATX

- Crucial 4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600

- XFX ATI Radeon 5770 HD 1GB PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Dual DVI HDMI Eyefinity

- Western Digital 500GB Caviar Blue 7200RPM 32MB SATA 6Gb/s

- LiteOn 24x DVD-RW Internal Black SATA Retail Box

- Antec 900 Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case (Black)

Total : E624.00

Have i left out anything going for win7 not included in total have monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Any advice?

Is there a good chance i could buy everything and then break it all, i'm a bit worried about that !!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

sub00 wrote: »

Have i left out anything

Is there a good chance i could buy everything and then break it all, i'm a bit worried about that !!

Yup. You forgot the Power Supply. If you buy a crappy brand there's a big chance it will all fry and break eventually.

Look for "Crosair", "OCZ", "Cooler Master" etc ~750W and upwards. The other lads can calculate how much headroom you'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Where are you buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

i have roughly the same build running off a 400 watt corsair psu (although i would recommend slightly higher, around 550)

u shouldnt need a 750 watt

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Too much case, too much motherboard, too much hard drive, not enough graphics, no power supply.

The Antec 900 is overpriced for the sort of budget you are aiming at, and uncessary. Go for the 300 or a thermaltake V4 or a NZXT Gamma.

Unless you need the onboard graphics, you can just go with an M4A77T/USB3*

No point getting a 6GB/s drive, it won't give any significant increase in performance.

The 5770 is good, but for your budget you'd want something a bit better, I'd say the GTX 460 or 6850 would be a good choice.

A 550W PSU will do you fine, the Superflower Amazons are a good choice.

*The onboard sound is meant to be better on the 880G (VIA vs Realtek) but I haven't had any problems with my 770.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Jonny7 wrote: »
    u shouldnt need a 750 watt

But if he buys a 550W now, he may need to upgrade in the future.
    I think if you buy a rock solid PSU with plentty of power and pci connectors you'll be future proof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sub00

Power supply, i'll need that.

All was priced on Dabs seems cheapest and the easiest for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions glad i posted here for advice before i go ahead and order.

I'm going to make a few changes but i want the system to last me a good while and be capable of upgrading and adding components in the future.

I think the motherboard and case should last me a while and i might have to forget about the graphics card until i can afford something good. I would eventually like a SSD aswell.

Thinking of going for around 600watts psu. Will most power supplies have all the connections i need or do i need to look for a certain spec?

Any experiences with Dabs? Good option?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I had trouble with dabs initially, trying several credit cards with them, but I eventually sorted that out some time later and ordered several times, but not in the past year. Experiences were generally positive and one problem was sorted quickly. Their items are well packed too. Their prices can be good but go up and down on a daily basis - I think that they keep very little in stock and hence have nothing depreciating in storage and so offer up to date prices. This can also be a downside as you can be waiting for items not in stock, so don't be in a hurry when ordering any items that need a wait time. Delivery outside that was fairly quick.

Avoid bad PSUs that are not as good which exaggerate their potential. The OCZ SxS II 600W is a reasonably good PSU for the money. Note the support for only three SATA hard drives, however.

Advertisement